Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
God also, apparently, approves of plural marriage. Do you think that should still be ok, one man with many wives?

God also designed women to be able to bear several children, in the dozens barring complications. Do you think that married women should just get continually pregnant and bear as many children as their bodies will allow? After all, that's what we were "designed" for. Birth control isn't mentioned in the bible.

There are many, many rules about what we are and aren't supposed to do with our bodies according to the bible. Do you follow all of them?
Where does it say God approves of plural marriage? Just because people in the Bible did it, doesn't mean it's approved. The Bible often recounts what happened, which included when men had multiple wives. It is not according to the one man, one woman, one flesh design in Genesis 2.

You're right - birth control is not mentioned. From inception, man is supposed to fill/populate the earth. Birth control is not mentioned as sin like homosexuality is.

I try to follow the Bible the best I can. I mess up as everyone on earth has. That's why the death of Christ is so important so that people can be reconciled back to God. At this point in time, no sin keeps people from following God - only unbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
As long as homosexuals are not hurting other humans, I don't think we should care what kind of sexual activity they engage in.
I wanted to make sure and comment on this before going to bed.

From an unbeliever's standpoint - totally agree.

From a believer's standpoint - we should be pointing homosexuals towards coming to faith in God just like all other unbelievers. When the gay lifestyle is pushed on society - there will be pushback from people that don't want that. I don't think it's so much that we care about what goes on in the bedroom, but more that sin is being accepted as OK.

From an opposing viewpoint - I am OK with your post.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:22 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That ain't the only place male homosexuals put it. And when you put it in the other orifice and then orally - you're just asking for trouble - homo or hetero.

Use parts as they are designed. Keep it within male/female marriage environment.

And yes - we do, to answer your question - AND it is not sin.
Got it.
So, putting things in orifices they were "not designed for" is not acceptable for gay people, but perfectly acceptable for married straight people.
Is putting tab A into the wrong Slot B unnatural or not? Designed for that or not? Or just for some?

Old 10-07-2014, 01:31 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
On what basis should homosexuality be accepted as decent and normal behavior?
Because it is "normal". It is quite common, not just in our species either.

However I think your question is backwards. I live in a society that values the concept of "Innocent until proven guilty". It is not for me, or anyone, to establish it as "normal and decent". It is up to detractors of it to establish there is something morally or ethically wrong with it. If they fail to do so, they should simply leave homosexuals, and homosexuality, alone.

Quote:
On the biblical side - you have several Scriptural references where God spells out homosexuality is wrong
Do you though? Certainly the one that is most oft quoted could be read that way if you squint your eyes real tight and **** your head. But it is not how I read it. And there is a not insignificant number in the catholic religion who have formed a pro-homosexuality off shoot so they appear to find no issue with it in their Bibles either. And devout theist and blogger Andrew Sullivan is very religious and can find no contradiction between his religion, his Bible and his sexuality.

Quote:
you have the evidence of how the parts are designed to go together between the male and the female...
Two issues with this here.

The first is that I am not aware of any evidence that it was "designed". So it would be interesting for you to present this.

Secondly, so what? Just because an item or practice has a PRIMARY function, that does not render any other function immoral or unethical. It is a non-argument you are presenting even without it simply being false.

Quote:
What makes homosexual behavior indecent? Go back to your anal cavity comments.
Homosexuality and anal sex are not synonyms. Stop trying to pretend they are the same thing. Many homosexuals do not engage in it. Many heterosexuals do. Make up your mind if your issue is with anal sex, or with homosexuality. You claim it is the latter, but you are almost entirely focused on the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
People need to respect Christian religious doctrines. It's interesting how some homosexuals want to demand respect and equality and don't want to give it back in return
Except they do. They respect people. Not ideas. And that is how it should be. There is no reason to respect an idea or a document or a doctrine. At all. The homosexuals want respect and equality for PEOPLE. You want it for an IDEA. I feel your priorities are skewed. People should come before ideas.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Do you seriously believe that people think sexual sins are more offensive than murder? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Exactly.
The scripture states sis is sin in the eye of the lord.

<snip>
Putting your Bible quotes aside for a moment, are you really saying that sexual sins (eg, marrying a divorced person, getting a divorce, using a prostitute, etc.) are equal to MURDER in American secular society? I said secular society because not everyone follows the Bible. For example, should a Sikh, Buddhist, Taoist, or Zoroastrian be forced to subscribe to the idea that prostitution is equal to murder? In most jurisdictions, prostitution is a low grade misdemeanor.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Where does it say God approves of plural marriage? Just because people in the Bible did it, doesn't mean it's approved. The Bible often recounts what happened, which included when men had multiple wives. It is not according to the one man, one woman, one flesh design in Genesis 2.

You're right - birth control is not mentioned. From inception, man is supposed to fill/populate the earth. Birth control is not mentioned as sin like homosexuality is.

I try to follow the Bible the best I can. I mess up as everyone on earth has. That's why the death of Christ is so important so that people can be reconciled back to God. At this point in time, no sin keeps people from following God - only unbelief.
Ok, so answer my questions.

Do you believe that married women should be producing as many children as possible, since that is what they were "designed by God" to do?

Do you follow all of the laws about the body in the Bible?

Do you believe in plural marriage? - which is most definitely approved by God in the Bible as he provides the wives for the patriarchs.

How about divorce and remarriage? A pretty mighty sin in the eyes of Jesus himself. How do you treat your divorced friends?

You say you mess up as everyone on earth has - well yeah. We all mess up all the time. But so many Christians want to hold others - especially homosexuals - to a different standard than they hold themselves. Again, hypocrisy.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello all.

I had a few minutes to look in on C-D tonight and my eyes fell on this thread. I would like to quickly share a thought and then ask a question.

My thought is this. Jesus also said: (John 18:36, NASB) "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

I have no problem with religious opinions on homosexuality, whatever they may be, even if I disagree with them. But why do Christian political groups attempt to export these beliefs into public policy? Not only does it violate the ideals on which the country was founded (like the First Amendment) but it isn't even consistent with your own scriptures. Lay up your treasures in heaven, render unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's, and please stop trying to legislate your vision of morality.

Now for my question. Why is it okay for young white men to wear sagging pants? You specify that you oppose this behavior in young black men...why not in white men as well? Or perhaps your mearly demonstrating that you have some issues with bigotry and stereotyping...

Thanks.

1st off, I never said its okay for why young men to sag their pants. Lets be real here, its an issue with alot of young black american men and idiots like Jay Z and Russel Simmons back them, so they think its a style and cool. I have traveled alot lately and didnt see one sagged pants in San Juan, none in Destin in the tourist areas, none in Orlando in the tourist areas and other places Ive been too, but the second I went to the local area, I see saggin and peoples draws all the time. You dont here of this crap in the Caribbean either, it is an issue here in America with alot of young black males and this hip hop culture, because I dont see young white males sagging their pants and if i do its very rare. Im black and live in a black area and the hood is 1 mile from me, so I know what I see and experience everyday, so I know what Im talking about on this issue, plus it goes back to prison origins too and its just plain sloppy, so there is no bigotry and stereotyping going on here, just facts and truth.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM

618 posts, read 541,143 times
Hello SAAN.

If you never see white kids sagging their pants, I would recommend a trip to Northeastern New Jersey. My point is that, from my experience, there is no reason to single out black youths. I've certainly seen it done with reasonable frequency by kids of all races, although it also seems to me to be less in a fashion than it was 10 years ago.

That said, I will desist lest I drag the thread too far off-topic.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:

Those against birth control use the quote "spilling of his seed" to equate it to sin. I suppose that means the seed not going where it is supposed to go for the purpose of procreation. Birth control. They did not know about female birth control in those times but today would include that also. Catholic Church.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Got it.
So, putting things in orifices they were "not designed for" is not acceptable for gay people, but perfectly acceptable for married straight people.
Is putting tab A into the wrong Slot B unnatural or not? Designed for that or not? Or just for some?
I didn't say that. I don't think anyone's rear end is suitable for sexual activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity