Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Spoken like a true Eternal Torment Believer. "Be afraid... be terrified ... God is going to burn you for that! How dare you die before your appointed time!"
There are only two voices in this world ... and each has there own followers

Jesus' ...
John 10:10
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
.. and reaction of those who trust in God like Job
........ "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
.......... may the name of the Lord be praised.”
  • Job did not entertain self termination despite
    • all the pain of sickness
    • death of family
    • loss of possessions
    • bad advice from so-called "friends"
    • depression

Psalm 31:15
My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me.

Psalm 59:16
But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

or

Satan's
John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

Self murdering is the tool of the thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Was easy for Jesus to say, he didn't have cancer...
It's like the pope talking about sex and marriage. People should only talk about what they know and understand...

Suicide was not a topic back then. Whatever those religious zealots talked about back then, it referred to behavior towards others.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Was easy for Jesus to say, he didn't have cancer...
It's like the pope talking about sex and marriage. People should only talk about what they know and understand...

Suicide was not a topic back then. Whatever those religious zealots talked about back then, it referred to behavior towards others.
Really ---Jesus who is God was a religious zealot who should only talk about what they know and understand ?

But of course that's easy for you to say, since Jesus only was tempted with every evil and didn't succumb to them.

As far as suicide was not a topic back then ... ?
fyi: Judas Iscariot committed suicide
Matthew 27:5
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

fyi: Everybody in Jerusalem talked about it
Acts 1:18-19
(With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Compared to today suicide was a total taboo for people in the Middle East back then. That doesn't mean that there was not a single person committing suicide, but it was not as normal to consider it and talk about it as it is today. They were very religious / superstitious back then. Today it is also the religious zealots who oppose it, whereas enlightened folks don't really have a problem with it if there is a good reason.

The certainty with which you cite stuff from your book only makes me giggle Jesus is god, yeah, right. I am generous enough to even consider that a guy like Jesus even existed, but that is as far as it goes. My mother or neighbor is just as much god as Jesus was.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 AM

20,066 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Though I can understand the feelings of a person who would choose suicide, whether physician-assisted or not, rather than face a long painful period of dying, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ we should understand that we do not have the right to take our own life. God has a plan for our life ...
By that reasoning, we do not have the right to choose to take medicine or have surgery, as we don't have the right to "play god" by artificially extending our god-given life, or making it more comfortable, either. If god says we are to suffer, or have a disease, who are we to contradict him?

Old 11-04-2014, 12:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
By that reasoning, we do not have the right to choose to take medicine or have surgery, as we don't have the right to "play god" by artificially extending our god-given life, or making it more comfortable, either. If god says we are to suffer, or have a disease, who are we to contradict him?
^ 'Zactly.

I mean...slight contradiction here.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM

5,537 posts, read 7,121,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I still say it should be left up to God and only God when we die and when we are born.

This opens up death to too many abuses by so many people.
Oh the terrible irony, with 13 Belgium suicides directly caused by God's authorized mediators?

Last edited by Tantalust; 11-04-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Though I can understand the feelings of a person who would choose suicide, whether physician-assisted or not, rather than face a long painful period of dying, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ we should understand that we do not have the right to take our own life. God has a plan for our life which includes even how and when we depart from this present life. Whether it be from old age, or illness, by an accident or natural disaster, or by murder, by whatever means, the time and manner of our death is a matter of the sovereignty of God. Suicide is a superimposition of our own volition on God's sovereign decision concerning the issue of our departure from this life.

Personally, I would consider knowing that I had only a few months or a couple of years left to live a special blessing from God in that it would mean knowing that I would soon be at home with the Lord in heaven and that in the knowledge of my certain soon departure I would as a spiritually growing believer be in a period of dying grace and more than ever occupied with Christ. The spiritually mature believer can be calm and at peace in the face of death and dying even though he may be in great and prolonged pain, for he knows that the Lord is with him in his period of dying.
Rom 14:7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8] for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD Is the death of His godly ones.
In the face of a prolonged period of dying, suicide is not the solution for the believer in Christ Jesus. The solution is trusting in Him and concentrating on the promises and teachings of the Word of God which the believer should have learned and inculcated into his soul through studying the Scriptures under the teaching ministry of God the Holy Spirit who is the true Mentor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Taking medicine or having surgery to get better is not at all comparable to committing suicide. God gave you life and it is His sovereign decision regarding when your time on this earth is up.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,558,422 times
Quote:
Taking medicine or having surgery to get better is not at all comparable to committing suicide. God gave you life and it is His sovereign decision regarding when your time on this earth is up.
Wait, choosing to do something to end your life is not okay, but choosing to do something to extend your life is okay.

Seems like christians want to play "god" more than anyone else. It's like a religious death panel.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Wait, choosing to do something to end your life is not okay, but choosing to do something to extend your life is okay.

Seems like christians want to play "god" more than anyone else. It's like a religious death panel.
When God says your time on this earth is up, it's up no matter what you do to try to extend it. Nevertheless, God takes into account your decisions that affect your health. But ultimately, when it's time to die, you are going to die. You do not have the right to kill yourself just as you do not have the right to murder another person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity