Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,574,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
"But here is a simple truth that many of us seem to resist: living too long is also a loss. It renders many of us, if not disabled, then faltering and declining, a state that may not be worse than death but is nonetheless deprived."

"It robs us of our creativity and ability to contribute to work, society, the world. It transforms how people experience us, relate to us, and, most important, remember us. We are no longer remembered as vibrant and engaged but as feeble, ineffectual, even pathetic."

Why I Hope to Die at 75 - The Atlantic
That is so crazy wrong. My mother lived with me for 7 years and in those years she was on the decline. Did I hurt to see her that way and not be able to have a conversation with me like she could before. Sure, but I still loved her and accepted her the way she was. After all, she put up with me when I was not able to carry on a conversation with her as a toddler. People can be so self-centered.

So people who kill themselves are brave and "die with dignity" but those who hang onto the end and let God decide their time don't, "die with dignity"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:35 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,552,087 times
[quote=janelle144;37303788]That is so crazy wrong. My mother lived with me for 7 years and in those years she was on the decline. Did I hurt to see her that way and not be able to have a conversation with me like she could before. Sure, but I still loved her and accepted her the way she was. After all, she put up with me when I was not able to carry on a conversation with her as a toddler. People can be so self-centered.

So people who kill themselves are brave and "die with dignity" but those who hang onto the end and let God decide their time don't, "die with dignity"?[/quote]

She did die with dignity, Janelle. That was her choice and something y'all were comfortable with. Same with my mother. Other people deal differently, and that's their choice.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,110,756 times
If you want to let god decide when you die then don't go running to the doctor when you get sick.

If god wants you to live, you will live, without medical interference.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 AM

5,543 posts, read 7,149,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So people who kill themselves are brave and "die with dignity" but those who hang onto the end and let God decide their time don't, "die with dignity"?
They don't live with dignity, especially when they're blind, deaf, COPD, etc etc and wearing Depends like my mother.

I'm heading for the blindness routine myself and I find Mr. Emanuel's article very interesting.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:55 AM

28,723 posts, read 18,949,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But it's God's will.
No, it's often human hubris to extend the human organism beyond what would have been God's will.

Christians--who supposedly believe they will enter a blessed afterlife--should have a different view of death than we seem to have. One pastor has said, "Christians spend more time praying to keep people out of heaven than we spend praying to get people into heaven."

We Christians need to have a dialog about death and a Christian attitude about unnaturally extending the life. When a person is no longer able even to pray...to live is no longer gain, but to die is still Christ.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,725,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, it's often human hubris to extend the human organism beyond what would have been God's will.

Christians--who supposedly believe they will enter a blessed afterlife--should have a different view of death than we seem to have. One pastor has said, "Christians spend more time praying to keep people out of heaven than we spend praying to get people into heaven."

We Christians need to have a dialog about death and a Christian attitude about unnaturally extending the life. When a person is no longer able even to pray...to live is no longer gain, but to die is still Christ.
Amen !
I like that quote,
"Christians spend more time praying to keep people out of heaven than we spend praying to get people into heaven."
Probably because it is so true and yes, I do believe the Christian needs more dialog about death ! !
Talking about death and understanding it in a Christian pov, it truly does destroy the power of fear one may have, if any about death and gives the heart the power of faith, ushering us into the presense of our Lord Jesus Christ, of one finually going HOME, our ultimate healing, amen !

Old 11-17-2014, 01:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,539,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is so crazy wrong. My mother lived with me for 7 years and in those years she was on the decline. Did I hurt to see her that way and not be able to have a conversation with me like she could before. Sure, but I still loved her and accepted her the way she was. After all, she put up with me when I was not able to carry on a conversation with her as a toddler. People can be so self-centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
They don't live with dignity, especially when they're blind, deaf, COPD, etc etc and wearing Depends like my mother.

I'm heading for the blindness routine myself and I find Mr. Emanuel's article very interesting.
Says who ... you?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 PM

Yes, my mother and many of her friends suffered for years, then died a twisted, tortured death. I just don't seem to like it too much when that happens, for some odd reason.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If you want to let god decide when you die then don't go running to the doctor when you get sick.

It's a bit cheaper that way, too.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Choice has nothing to do with it. We do not have the authority to take our own life.
Sometimes choice is forced upon us. The people who were trapped on the upper floors of the World Trade Center on 9/11 found that out.

Were those who jumped supposed to wait to be burned alive? Or does God have special rules if you go to work one day and someone doesn't succeed in killing you on the first try?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-17-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity