Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure god has nothing to do with drips of any sort. Nor does anything about this "make him happy".

I like the guy who said "her choice". There is nothing else to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,944,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

I like the guy who said "her choice". There is nothing else to say.
I like him too!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 PM

63,939 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I like him too!
He, he.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Well... fyi I have with my father, my wife with her father and two of my adult children have also with my sister and my 2nd cousins were at their father's bedside holding hands.

Too bad that you have observed apathetic and lovelessness caring nurses, doctors.

And as far as it being cruel and in human punishment to force the dying to prolong their condition, read up on history who also once held such views that lead to other eventual conclusions, hardly could be said that certain people in Germany of the 1930's are a fine example a caring folk.... which if you've bothered to hear on radio then you'd know why many are comparing today with 1930's Germany.
You have what? Forced loved ones to prolong their suffering against their will? Your proclamation was not exactly clear to me.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,958,838 times
Here's the matter at the heart of this debate:

Does God expect a person with terminal illness in prolonged intense pain--the kind that is not relieved by drugs--to suffer consciously screaming in agony for weeks before passing ("I must drink the last drop in the cup which my Father has prepared for me"-syndrome), or is He okay with a person overdosing themselves at a point where they cannot go on in the pain any longer?

Anyone ever experience excruciating pain that is unrelenting? I have. Believe me, you wouldn't hesitate to hit that button to let the morphine pour into you.

Is God okay with that? Does He understand your reasons for doing it? Or does He expect you to suffer until your body can no longer tolerate the pain and your heart gives out from the stress?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Does God expect a person with terminal illness in prolonged intense pain--the kind that is not relieved by drugs--to suffer consciously screaming in agony for weeks before passing ("I must drink the last drop in the cup which my Father has prepared for me"-syndrome), or is He okay with a person overdosing themselves at a point where they cannot go on in the pain any longer?

Anyone ever experience excruciating pain that is unrelenting? I have. Believe me, you wouldn't hesitate to hit that button to let the morphine pour into you.

Is God okay with that? Does He understand your reasons for doing it? Or does He expect you to suffer until your body can no longer tolerate the pain and your heart gives out from the stress?
Well, of course the answer will be different depending on who you ask. Some people think God wants us to suffer. That is why it is still practiced by certain Catholics in South America to flog themselves and crawl over rocks with glass on holy days. It all depends on your perception of what God is really like. I think everyone knows my answer all ready.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,511,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Then obviously you barely took enough time read the original article to the end ... and why would you, for if one would that would show some desire to admit the flawed hard-heartened ideology of liberalism and turn away from it.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:49 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,958,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Then obviously you barely took enough time read the original article to the end ... and why would you, for if one would that would show some desire to admit the flawed hard-heartened ideology of liberalism and turn away from it.
Okay, I read the article to the end. Maynard is committing physician-assisted suicide under the laws of Oregon. I don't advocate that. Maynard will be in a state of non-pain-intolerance when she takes the drugs and I am against that.

But the article and its author don't specifically address what to do when the pain is so intense that if it cannot be relieved with powerful pain killers the person is left to scream in agonizing torment (the kind I'm sure that will be suffered in the fires of hell ). What should a person in that kind of excruciating pain do? Suffer it out because of religious moral scruples, or just push the morphine button to "empty" the contents when they can no longer tolerate the pain? Ms. Karner doesn't say, but she hints that she couldn't do the latter because of her religious convictions. We'll see.

But I know I wouldn't have any trouble hitting the button because I don't see any way God is glorified by me going through a few extra days of unrelenting pain? Nobody knows what they'd do (including you, twin.spin) until they are in that state where the pain is so fierce and relief just the push of a button away that they'd gladly push the button to relieve their unbearable suffering.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-17-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,540,199 times
No one talks about hell anymore so why hang around here and be in pain when nothing will happen to you if you take your own life? Eternal time in hell doesn't even register with people but it will happen.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:01 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,945,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No one talks about hell anymore so why hang around here and be in pain when nothing will happen to you if you take your own life? Eternal time in hell doesn't even register with people but it will happen.
What good is mercy then?
If, when it really comes down to it.... God is not merciful?
Something to ponder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity