Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

written by Maggie Karner ... a Christian woman alternative message of hope.
Maggie has been diagnosed with a stage 4 glioblastoma multiforme brain tumor.
Read Maggie's response and see how her hope in Christ sustains her.

Brain Cancer Will Likely Kill Me, But There's No Way I'll Kill Myself

Her bio can be read here Maggie Karner, Author at The Federalist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 03:48 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
See just would like to know what Jesus is doing for these people , as Jesus could stop the illness from developing and stop it from spreading any farther when the spiritual authority is given to Jesus ........ It is like Christians who are enemies to the spirit of this world , and given wooden guns by the church to defend them selves

Old 10-11-2014, 04:03 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Though I can understand the feelings of a person who would choose suicide, whether physician-assisted or not, rather than face a long painful period of dying, as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ we should understand that we do not have the right to take our own life. God has a plan for our life which includes even how and when we depart from this present life. Whether it be from old age, or illness, by an accident or natural disaster, or by murder, by whatever means, the time and manner of our death is a matter of the sovereignty of God. Suicide is a superimposition of our own volition on God's sovereign decision concerning the issue of our departure from this life.

Personally, I would consider knowing that I had only a few months or a couple of years left to live a special blessing from God in that it would mean knowing that I would soon be at home with the Lord in heaven and that in the knowledge of my certain soon departure I would as a spiritually growing believer be in a period of dying grace and more than ever occupied with Christ. The spiritually mature believer can be calm and at peace in the face of death and dying even though he may be in great and prolonged pain, for he knows that the Lord is with him in his period of dying.
Rom 14:7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8] for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD Is the death of His godly ones.
In the face of a prolonged period of dying, suicide is not the solution for the believer in Christ Jesus. The solution is trusting in Him and concentrating on the promises and teachings of the Word of God which the believer should have learned and inculcated into his soul through studying the Scriptures under the teaching ministry of God the Holy Spirit who is the true Mentor.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
HER choice.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
HER choice.
Choice has nothing to do with it. We do not have the authority to take our own life.
Job 1:21
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”
Psalm 31:15
My times are in your hands;

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?
You are not your own; you were bought at a price.
Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
We always have a choice. Her choice is to obey what she perceives as her duty according to her religion.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
HER choice.
Agreed.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
We always have a choice. Her choice is to obey what she perceives as her duty according to her religion.
One can always have a choice to rebel against God ... but that's not much of a choice to believe in a lie and die knowing full well what you're doing to yourself.

Despite not liking it, God said: Job 1:21, Psalm 31:15, 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 and Jesus(who is God, btw) said concerning not listening to his words is this:
Luke 6:49
"But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a
house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it
collapsed and its destruction was complete
.”

Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
I thought she made some valid points. However, I took issue with her choice to quote another person's gross generalization and unfounded assumption as an attempt to villainize the opposing point of view: "What is intolerable to the (assisted suicide advocate) is not suffering or dying, but not having control over life and death.” That she felt the need to resort to the tactic of dehumanizing those holding a different view by making them sound cold, callous, and uncaring only weakens her case, imo.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I thought she made some valid points. However, I took issue with her choice to quote another person's gross generalization and unfounded assumption as an attempt to villainize the opposing point of view: "What is intolerable to the (assisted suicide advocate) is not suffering or dying, but not having control over life and death.” That she felt the need to resort to the tactic of dehumanizing those holding a different view by making them sound cold, callous, and uncaring only weakens her case, imo.
And how do you know that when she quoted "Dr. Eric Chevlen, a diplomat of the American Boards of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology, Hematology, and Pain Medicine and director of Palliative Care at St. Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown, Ohio" that he was making a
" gross generalization and unfounded assumption as an attempt to villainize the opposing point of view"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity