Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Then don't ever preach any "end times" sermons, because you certainly will be way off.
I don't follow your logic. Can you clarify?
Quote:

Many liberals like myself view such political tactics as this mayor is attempting to be anathema, and would and will fight such cheap tactics. On the other hand, this is exactly how the right wing political party manipulates Christianity. In addition, this mayor has done more to set back progress toward "equalization" of treatment of GBLT than any person I can remember in the last couple of decades. It fuels the "I am persecuted" complex of Christians who are forever looking for the end times and, strangely, fighting them rather than welcoming them.

Both sides of the political aisle should be ashamed of supporting OR attacking Christian beliefs---even the misguided ones. They need to get the hell out of the church.
I'll agree with you on that. I don't preach politics in my church. There are better things to talk about.
Quote:
And consider this. If, as I have proposed on a couple of threads, there were no tax breaks (a government subsidy, if you will) for churches or church attendees, there would be no question that this would be an invasion of privacy. The city of Houston would have to obtain a warrant from a judge for each and every church rather than a subpoena to all of them. And that is a bit more difficult.

The tax breaks make Christianity a money haven for some without much spirituality but full of desire to "look" moral. It would clean the church up like nothing else. And probably reduce the number of churches in the process.
Removing the tax breaks would also hurt a lot of the great programs that are religious-oriented. Programs that feed the hungry and help the poor. Does the mega-church need a tax break so it can build a 20,000 seat auditorium? No. But the little Baptist church running a food pantry sure does a lot of good things with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Removing the tax breaks would also hurt a lot of the great programs that are religious-oriented. Programs that feed the hungry and help the poor. Does the mega-church need a tax break so it can build a 20,000 seat auditorium? No. But the little Baptist church running a food pantry sure does a lot of good things with it.
No reason why it should, individuals get deductions for charitable contributions and any company that documents actual work in such things would too.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times
Quote:
.... It would clean the church up like nothing else. And probably reduce the number of churches in the process.
Which no doubt will have Satan and all that are his puppets doing cart-wheels

btw ...
Quote:
Then don't ever preach any "end times" sermons, because you certainly will be way off..
Millennialists have the long historical record proving being way off

However, despite your surety of don't ever preach any "end times" sermons, those of us who adhere to Biblical teaching of "end times" will be spot on since Scriptures teaches Amillennialism

Quote:
.... [the] complex of Christians who are forever looking for the end times and, strangely, fighting them rather than welcoming them.
Christians has always looked forward for the end times ...
2 Peter 3:13
But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

1 Thessalonians 3:13
May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our
God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.

Revelation 22:20
He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No reason why it should, individuals get deductions for charitable contributions and any company that documents actual work in such things would too.
Churches do that sort of thing. Do you realize that?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM

23,201 posts, read 10,485,389 times
I am so happy that this has happened, I have been telling people things like this will eventually happen because the laws have already been set up for the gays to take over the churches, shut them down or make it impossible to own a church or congregate.

It is better that something like this was to happen because it will have to get bad in order for us to change the laws. The laws favor the gay and Lesbian crowd, but something like this is going to make a lot of people angry.

I told my whole family today,'' I told you so.''

Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am so happy that this has happened, I have been telling people things like this will eventually happen because the laws have already been set up for the gays to take over the churches, shut them down or make it impossible to own a church or congregate.

It is better that something like this was to happen because it will have to get bad in order for us to change the laws. The laws favor the gay and Lesbian crowd, but something like this is going to make a lot of people angry.

I told my whole family today,'' I told you so.''
Thanks for posting this drivel.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM

45,634 posts, read 27,250,610 times
I didn't hear about this around here. Need to research...

Why just Christians? Muslims don't like homosexuality either.

Quote:
As many of you know, my views are quite liberal, and I do not support any kind of bullying of homosexuals. But even for me this is over the top. And it surprises me coming from anywhere in Texas. I lived in Dallas for eight years, and it's not known as a bastion of liberalism. If the mayor believes something has gone awry, let her get a warrant.

No pastor anywhere should be required to do such a stupid thing. If the ACLU doesn't step in to protect these pastors, then they will have abdicated their position as a balanced organization.

I suspect this is a play for media attention--and that she is gonna get.
The mayor is lesbian, so there is some rationale for this.

Big cities in Texas are still liberal, but not "really" liberal - if you know what I mean - except maybe Austin.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM

23,201 posts, read 10,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thanks for posting this drivel.

What?

You think the law is not set up for the gays and Lesbians to take over the churches?

That's what we are witnessing.

A people who claim to believe in tolerance but who are the least tolerant of all, they want to dictate what others think and believe, and this Houston Gay Mayor has proved this beyond any debate.

They would force people to believe as they believe, and they would silence any speech protected under the constitution.

What do you call that, when a group of people demand that you must think like them or be punished?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I didn't hear about this around here. Need to research...

Why just Christians? Muslims don't like homosexuality either.
Because among the liberal left, Islam is a protected class. It's politically incorrect to criticize a muslim.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,746,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As long as you are perceptive, wise, and educated enough to separate the nonsense from the sense and disregard the former - you'd be fine.

You know, like the vast majority of Christians in developed nations.

It's those tiny pockets of fundamentalists, largely in the US, who seem to have difficulty processing the difference.
If the KKK and the flat earth society are allowed to believe in complete insanity, then singling out and attacking Christians makes absolutely no sense.

I think everyone here would agree that the earth is not flat. I think we all also all agree that people are free to believe that it's flat. They are free to try to convince everyone they meet that the earth is flat. The KKK can spout its nonsense about white people being superior as well. They can try to convince everyone they meet of it. That is their right. All of that is protected by the 1st Amendment. So no, there is absolutely no justification for making it a crime to say that "homosexuality is wrong."

How much limitation to free speech do you think is right and proper TroutDude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity