Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times

Advertisements

City of Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

Should we say----"And so it begins" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Freedom From Atheism Foundation (FFAF) shared Todd Starnes's status update.

1 hr ·

Todd Starnes

I just got off the phone with one of the Houston pastors who was ordered to hand over his sermons. He told me he will defy the government.
"My answer to that is -- bring it on," Pastor Dave Welch told me.
I told the pastor that if they put him in jail for contempt I would consider it an honor to share a jail cell with him.
Stand tall, people of faith. Defend religious liberty!
City of Houston demands pastors turn over sermons | Fox News

Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,725,282 times
As many of you know, my views are quite liberal, and I do not support any kind of bullying of homosexuals. But even for me this is over the top. And it surprises me coming from anywhere in Texas. I lived in Dallas for eight years, and it's not known as a bastion of liberalism. If the mayor believes something has gone awry, let her get a warrant.

No pastor anywhere should be required to do such a stupid thing. If the ACLU doesn't step in to protect these pastors, then they will have abdicated their position as a balanced organization.

I suspect this is a play for media attention--and that she is gonna get.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,816,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
City of Houston Demands Pastors Turn Over Sermons

Should we say----"And so it begins" ?
And so it does. Lived in Houston for awhile. And I can tell you from experience it is a wicked city. So much so that I ran from it. I thank God for warning me to leave.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
"Overbroad" is exactly correct. If they have reason to believe that an ordinance has been violated they need to be specific in what evidence they require. Tax exempt status may be under examination in such cases, but this appears to be about a different matter: a city ordinance.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
I have no doubt in my mind that in time simply saying from the pulpit that homosexuality is immoral (as the text says), will be a punishable offense.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that in time simply saying from the pulpit that homosexuality is immoral (as the text says), will be a punishable offense.
I don't think so, Viz. What's important of course - and I'm sure you agree - is context.

As long as you explain that the words in the text were written by primitive people who defecated in holes in the ground and believed the earth was the center of the universe - it's understandable they would believe silly nonsense about morality.

Context is everything, right?

ETA: I only skimmed the link but I'm with the ministers who are refusing.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't think so, Viz. What's important of course - and I'm sure you agree - is context.

As long as you explain that the words in the text were written by primitive people who defecated in holes in the ground
You mean like this modern, progressive hippie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-uBRqm764
Quote:
and believed the earth was the center of the universe
The Bible really doesn't support that notion. But on the other hand, some of the greatest scientific minds certainly did believe the earth was the center of the universe, and that it was flat.
Quote:

- it's understandable they would believe silly nonsense about morality.

Context is everything, right?

ETA: I only skimmed the link but I'm with the ministers who are refusing.
So....as long as we don't actually BELIEVE the Bible, it's ok?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
...snip...

So....as long as we don't actually BELIEVE the Bible, it's ok?
As long as you are perceptive, wise, and educated enough to separate the nonsense from the sense and disregard the former - you'd be fine.

You know, like the vast majority of Christians in developed nations.

It's those tiny pockets of fundamentalists, largely in the US, who seem to have difficulty processing the difference.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:42 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,725,282 times
Quote:
Then don't ever preach any "end times" sermons, because you certainly will be way off. Many liberals like myself view such political tactics as this mayor is attempting to be anathema, and would and will fight such cheap tactics. On the other hand, this is exactly how the right wing political party manipulates Christianity. In addition, this mayor has done more to set back progress toward "equalization" of treatment of GBLT than any person I can remember in the last couple of decades. It fuels the "I am persecuted" complex of Christians who are forever looking for the end times and, strangely, fighting them rather than welcoming them.

Both sides of the political aisle should be ashamed of supporting OR attacking Christian beliefs---even the misguided ones. They need to get the hell out of the church.

And consider this. If, as I have proposed on a couple of threads, there were no tax breaks (a government subsidy, if you will) for churches or church attendees, there would be no question that this would be an invasion of privacy. The city of Houston would have to obtain a warrant from a judge for each and every church rather than a subpoena to all of them. And that is a bit more difficult.

The tax breaks make Christianity a money haven for some without much spirituality but full of desire to "look" moral. It would clean the church up like nothing else. And probably reduce the number of churches in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity