Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,257,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
But it's ok to impose your beliefs on us by FORCING Christian business owners to conduct services for an immoral wedding? Try to look beyond the knee jerk "you can't discriminate" response and see just how unfair and wrong it is.
It IS discriminatory to do that. There are laws in this nation preventing discrimination based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and disabilities, etc. If you break those laws, there will be consequences. If you want to have a bigoted business where you can refuse service to someone gay, then move to Uganda or Russia. America is the Land of the Free, with a separation of church and state. And since not everyone is an extremist evangelical Christian like you, your "laws" and beliefs don't apply to everyone.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 PM

10,103 posts, read 5,779,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It IS discriminatory to do that. There are laws in this nation preventing discrimination based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and disabilities, etc. If you break those laws, there will be consequences. If you want to have a bigoted business where you can refuse service to someone gay, then move to Uganda or Russia. America is the Land of the Free, with a separation of church and state. And since not everyone is an extremist evangelical Christian like you, your "laws" and beliefs don't apply to everyone.
It is only discriminatory because some politician decided to label sexual orientation as being a real thing. I asked to look beyond the legal argument into the moral perspective, but your side stubbornly refuses to do that. Maybe an example would work.

Let's say the government decides that dog fighters are now a protected class. You own a dog grooming business and find dog fighting to be extremely immoral and offensive. But now you can not discriminate. You are FORCED to service these dog fighters. Otherwise, you are a "bigot" against dog fighters. How would you feel about that?

America is the land of the free yet you have no problem forcing people to compromise their morals.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,488,286 times
Quote:
It is only discriminatory because some politician decided to label sexual orientation as being a real thing. I asked to look beyond the legal argument into the moral perspective, but your side stubbornly refuses to do that. Maybe an example would work.

Let's say the government decides that dog fighters are now a protected class. You own a dog grooming business and find dog fighting to be extremely immoral and offensive. But now you can not discriminate. You are FORCED to service these dog fighters. Otherwise, you are a "bigot" against dog fighters. How would you feel about that?

America is the land of the free yet you have no problem forcing people to compromise their morals.
If you are talking about callous indifference to, or pleasure in causing pain and suffering?
It falls under the heading of: Wickedness or Cruelty, regardless of your Religious beliefs.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,257,702 times
You're really comparing gay people to dog fighters? How stupid can you be? And sexual orientation IS a real thing! Most gay people are causing no harm to anyone. Dog fighters, on the other hand, are committing the crime of animal cruelty. Completely different situation.

Yes, America is the Land of the Free. We're all free to have our own set of morals. But not everyone agrees on what is moral, and what isn't. You can't just impose your beliefs on everyone. Otherwise, we'd be no different than somewhere like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,818,627 times
Quote:
Why do you care so much about our beliefs? You knew what kind of posts would be made in this thread, but came here anyways. I don't care how you want to live your life, but my perspective is your side is demanding that we change our religious beliefs. I'm not going to bow down to man. I'll bow down to the Lord of the Bible.
Your attitude in this thread goes directly against his teachings, so you might want to rethink your methods.

You're awfully obsessed about a topic which you don't even understand and by comparison is extremely vague and limited in the bible compared to other sins.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,488,286 times
Quote:
Why do you care so much about our beliefs? You knew what kind of posts would be made in this thread, but came here anyways. I don't care how you want to live your life, but my perspective is your side is demanding that we change our religious beliefs. I'm not going to bow down to man. I'll bow down to the Lord of the Bible.
In that case, you are bowing down to men who attempt to lord it over others?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,818,627 times
Quote:
But it's ok to impose your beliefs on us by FORCING Christian business owners to conduct services for an immoral wedding? Try to look beyond the knee jerk "you can't discriminate" response and see just how unfair and wrong it is.
Your religious beliefs don't give you the right to violate secular laws, whether you agree with them or not.

If the Aztecs and Mayans still existed and were practicing their religion here, does their religious practice of human sacrifice give them the right to circumvent laws against murder?

How is it unfair and wrong? If your religious beliefs conflict with the legal requirements of opening a public business, don't open a public business.

Do you hold the same view of Christian businesses having the right to refuse blacks? They used to do that quite frequently until the Courts told them it's illegal.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
You're really comparing gay people to dog fighters? How stupid can you be? And sexual orientation IS a real thing! Most gay people are causing no harm to anyone. Dog fighters, on the other hand, are committing the crime of animal cruelty. Completely different situation.

Yes, America is the Land of the Free. We're all free to have our own set of morals. But not everyone agrees on what is moral, and what isn't. You can't just impose your beliefs on everyone. Otherwise, we'd be no different than somewhere like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

No, I'm not directly comparing gay people to dog fighters. I tried to provide a perspective where you could see things from the other side of the fence by putting yourself in a similiar situation, but obviously, it is pointless. Your side apparently believes gay rights should trump every one else.

And we are not imposing our beliefs on you. You are free to live a gay lifestyle all you want. It is your side who wants to change traditions and impose your standards upon all of society. Get with the program or get out, right? How American.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,967,770 times
Quote:
Their religion belongs in the home or church, synagogue, temple or mosque. By opening a business you proclaim your self public, and the business has no constitutional rights.

Don't want to serve homosexuals? Don't open a business that the public will walk into. Easy peasy.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Your attitude in this thread goes directly against his teachings, so you might want to rethink your methods.

You're awfully obsessed about a topic which you don't even understand and by comparison is extremely vague and limited in the bible compared to other sins.

I am only here to defend the truth and state my opinion on the topic. OTOH, the opposition which apparently you belong to, consistently twists the thread into direct personal negativity calling me a bigot, ignorant and stupid.

That's not a good way either to convince me that your side is the correct righteous one. If you approached my position with a degree of respect and willingness to have a peaceful discussion, I would be more apt to consider if I am wrong in my viewpoints. But the nastiness only convinces me more that homosexuality is a sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity