Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,255,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Oh, good grief!! You have plenty of excuses for no longer burning witches. Do you have some for not murdering homosexuals? The demise of both groups is written in the Bible.
They may be mentioned in the Scripture, but the Scripture is clear that murder is sin and immoral. Good grief is right, as you speak with such authority and continually show you are less than knowledgable about the Scripture. I assume you are referring to the Mosaic Law, which is commonly trotted out by people such as yourself who do not understand the subject.

Quote:
Our culture has grown. We no longer believe in slavery--but it's biblical--and still immoral.
The Scripture speaks of slavery, but does not condone it.

Quote:
We no longer believe that touching the skin of a pig is an abomination (I guess our football players are all abominations, not just the ones engaged in domestic violence)---but its biblical.
Once again, you should not speak about that which you do not understand.

Quote:
There are many things that "conservative" Christianity once held that they no longer do. Eventually--and even as I write this---"conservative" Christians are changing.
This is incorrect. The same Scripture that has existed since before the time of Christ is followed and regarded as truth by the majority of Christians today.

Quote:
If they don't, they will continue the trend of recent years of driving people away from finding God. On this very thread---look what YOUR Christianity has done to people like Albert_the_Crocodile, okie1062, and others. They have rejected Christ when what they really need to do is reject you and yours.
The road is narrow and few will find it. Not all the seeds that are planted will come forth, as some will land on rocky ground and be eaten by the birds. This does not have any bearing on the truth of God's love, righteousness and Christ's sacrifice for everyone's sin.

Quote:
If your faith isn't leading people to Christ---then it is a false faith.
As it was spoken by Christ:
"For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.…" (Matt. 10:20-22)
...and my faith is leading people to Christ, thank you. I do not hide or shrink from the righteousness or holiness of God and I am not ashamed of His Word.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:21 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,795,025 times
It's a shame so few people who read the Bible actually know the historical context. To take some of the passages out of context is to miss the meaning completely. Homosexuality is one of those things that so many people THINK is such a sin. It's too bad so few people actually take the time to research further... the reasons for the passages written, what was happening in the world at the time it was written, and how it was transcribed.

I don't believe in any way, shape, or form that God hates homosexual people. Even Jesus speaks of "born eunuchs." Humans alone are responsible for this bigotry. What a shame to spend a lifetime railing against homosexuality when it would please God so much more if everyone accepted one another instead. I grew up Lutheran and was told repeatedly how sinful homosexuality was. I thank GOD that I learned to think for myself sooner rather than later. I can't imagine telling people that God hates who they are. HE created them. They exist because they are part of God, as are we all.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
It's a shame so few people who read the Bible actually know the historical context. To take some of the passages out of context is to miss the meaning completely. Homosexuality is one of those things that so many people THINK is such a sin. It's too bad so few people actually take the time to research further... the reasons for the passages written, what was happening in the world at the time it was written, and how it was transcribed.

I don't believe in any way, shape, or form that God hates homosexual people. Even Jesus speaks of "born eunuchs." Humans alone are responsible for this bigotry. What a shame to spend a lifetime railing against homosexuality when it would please God so much more if everyone accepted one another instead. I grew up Lutheran and was told repeatedly how sinful homosexuality was. I thank GOD that I learned to think for myself sooner rather than later. I can't imagine telling people that God hates who they are. HE created them. They exist because they are part of God, as are we all.
I don't believe anyone here has claimed that God hates homosexuals. Yes, some believe it to be a sin, but not one any different than any other sin but one that seperates people from God, as all sin does.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:49 PM

65 posts, read 66,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Isn't it funny that when the Bible specifically uses the term "homosexuality", oh their response is, well that doesn't mean gays. That means pagan worship, or man-servant, or male rapers. They are perfectly willing to accept other meanings that what it says right there.

But when it says slavery in the Bible, well that means slavery and only slavery in the modern sense of the word according to them. It can't have multiple meanings. Such a double standard to fit their need to devalue the Word of God.
Don't forget Temple Priests. That is the one they use when dealing with Romans 1. Then there is the Mel White defense that "we just don't know what some of these words mean." Right. So the Apostles were using words that no one knew the meaning of. My favorite is Rick Brentlinger of Gay Christianity 101 who says that in the story of Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8 the Eunuch is gay. I don't know how he comes to this conclusion, but he does. So don't question it. But Mel White says that up until the last few decades, there was no such thing as gay "orientation" as we know it. So they cannot agree, even among themselves. And that would be because these side shows and conjectures they come up with don't have a foundation.

People like Wardendresden would not be able to, if asked, lay out a point by point treatise on why homosexuality is now acceptable, from scripture, and scripture alone. When asked to show why homosexuality is now acceptable, look at what he does. Most times he ignores the question and goes on to judge someone, even though he says we are not supposed to do that. Or he will post portions of one of Mel White's books, even though Mel White has been prove to be a liar and a fraud. Not to mention the fact that Mel White, nor anyone else should be used as a final authority on that subject, or any other because The Word is the final authority, and nothing else. That is why they have to twist, mangle, re-define, take out of context, or just flat ignore scripture, because you can't make a case for homosexuality being allowable using the Bible, and they know it.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,795,025 times
The title of the thread talks about how same sex marriage must be "evil to the infinite power." That's pretty hateful, in my opinion. Talk about separating people from God... the content of this thread should do just that. It's painful for me to read it, quite honestly.

Last edited by Nicci6Squirrels; 12-16-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Do you love and accept men or women who are attracted to minors? According to your side's sexual orientation propaganda, they have NO control over their actions. They did not chose to be that way, right?

None of your links prove to me that your video is a completely accurate representation of what an average gay person experiences in school.
He isn't going to answer that question. He does not answer questions he can't deal with. Because he has heard them before and he knows that actually answering them reveals the weakness of his position and places him in a defensive quagmire.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1959 View Post
He isn't going to answer that question. He does not answer questions he can't deal with. Because he has heard them before and he knows that actually answering them reveals the weakness of his position and places him in a defensive quagmire.
Moderator cut: comment removed

The comparison is odiously invalid.

Two adults who love each other does in no way compare to adults taking advantage of children.

And only Moderator cut: comment removed try to compare them.

You should be ashamed and I promise you: you will be ashamed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-16-2014 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: comments removed

Old 12-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Did you have a chance to choose your sexual orientation? It's not a choice, accept it.
This is always a logical fallacy. There are absolutely no studies, *zero* that state that homosexuality is a genetic born-with condition. There are studies, but they do not agree, and they never concretely declare that such is the case. So any time anyone tries to pass that theory off as fact, you lie, and you lie knowingly. Could some people be genetically pre-disposed to having an attraction to the same sex? I am sure they could. Most studies point to personality disorders being hard-wired in early on, and such could be the case with sexual orientation, or attraction, but even then, the person isn't born that way, it is environmentally-shaped. A great deal with it has to do with how they are raised The atmosphere, experiences, authority figures, discipline, or lack of it in a person's life all have a great deal to do with how they turn out as an adult.

The attraction to a person of the same sex isn't the sin. When they act on it, that's the sin. So in essence, when people make a statement like the one you did above, what you are actually saying is that "people just can't control who they have sex with." And that is odd, because outside of someone being forcibly raped, I though sex was a personal choice in every single case. Am I wrong?

People like you and Wardendresden will continually paint people who say homosexuality is wrong as bigots, haters, narrow-minded, backwards, blah, blah. And they are false accusations in most cases, and you know very well that they are. Those generalizations and labels are simply used for drama and affect. Wardendresden uses them like a gun. They are used to inflate the problem to a much larger size that what it is to garner sympathy, or outrage, or to try and silence a group pf people who you'd really rather not hear from. Gay people can do whatever they want. I don't care what they do. I am not opposed to civil unions. I am not opposed to giving a gay couple who has been in a monogamous and long-term relationship the same financial rights as a hetro couple. They shouldn't have the right to marry, in the traditional sense, and they should not have the right to force faith-based businesses or individuals to marry them or take wedding pictures or bake them a cake.

My objections to the entire issue are two-fold, and at their most fundemental point, they really have nothing to do with homosexuality itself.

A. I am tired of a small group of people telling me that because they have chosen to live a certain life style, that now, for some reason, no one else can object to that lifestyle. That anyone who opposes them should be forced to accept it, and therefore validate their lifestyle. And barring that, we have to remain completely silent, even when they are trying, very hard in some cases, to force us into acceptance. And in the same vein I am tired of seeing these same people shout from the rooftops about how tolerant they are when they obviously are not tolerant. If they were tolerant, they would not behave the way they do.

B. Biblically-speaking, homosexuality is a sin. I am not going to seek out gay people on the street, the spiritual condition of which are unknown to me, and tell them that if they are gay, they will burn in hell. I wouldn't even tell a gay person who claims to be a Christian that. I won't comment on their orientation either way at all. But if they take the step of telling me that they are gay, and God says it is now OK, I am going to correct them. I am going to correct anyone who claims to be Christian and also says homosexuality is A-OK with God, because it isn't, and what they are saying is false, within the confines of Christianity. And I would do the same thing who told me adultery was OK, or that fornication was OK, or that smoking crack was OK.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Bovine excrement.

The comparison is odiously invalid.

Two adults who love each other does in no way compare to adults taking advantage of children.

And only ignorant bible idolaters try to compare them.

You should be ashamed and I promise you: you will be ashamed.
And just how will I be ashamed? I think I can guess, but you had better give that response a whole lot of thought before you try and make that next-world leap.

"Idolaters." Oh look, another meaningless label. I'd add that one to my collection but I already have like 50 of that exact same one.

Christian Lite on Parade.

There is a reason people use that comparison, and despite what you think it is a valid one, but a person who has basically few or no morals won't be able to figure out what it is. Lets see if you can connect the dots.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1959 View Post
This is always a logical fallacy. There are absolutely no studies, *zero* that state that homosexuality is a genetic born-with condition. There are studies, but they do not agree, and they never concretely declare that such is the case. So any time anyone tries to pass that theory off as fact, you lie, and you lie knowingly. Could some people be genetically pre-disposed to having an attraction to the same sex? I am sure they could. Most studies point to personality disorders being hard-wired in early on, and such could be the case with sexual orientation, or attraction, but even then, the person isn't born that way, it is environmentally-shaped. A great deal with it has to do with how they are raised The atmosphere, experiences, authority figures, discipline, or lack of it in a person's life all have a great deal to do with how they turn out as an adult.

The attraction to a person of the same sex isn't the sin. When they act on it, that's the sin. So in essence, when people make a statement like the one you did above, what you are actually saying is that "people just can't control who they have sex with." And that is odd, because outside of someone being forcibly raped, I though sex was a personal choice in every single case. Am I wrong?

People like you and Wardendresden will continually paint people who say homosexuality is wrong as bigots, haters, narrow-minded, backwards, blah, blah. And they are false accusations in most cases, and you know very well that they are. Those generalizations and labels are simply used for drama and affect. Wardendresden uses them like a gun. They are used to inflate the problem to a much larger size that what it is to garner sympathy, or outrage, or to try and silence a group pf people who you'd really rather not hear from. Gay people can do whatever they want. I don't care what they do. I am not opposed to civil unions. I am not opposed to giving a gay couple who has been in a monogamous and long-term relationship the same financial rights as a hetro couple. They shouldn't have the right to marry, in the traditional sense, and they should not have the right to force faith-based businesses or individuals to marry them or take wedding pictures or bake them a cake.

My objections to the entire issue are two-fold, and at their most fundemental point, they really have nothing to do with homosexuality itself.

A. I am tired of a small group of people telling me that because they have chosen to live a certain life style, that now, for some reason, no one else can object to that lifestyle. That anyone who opposes them should be forced to accept it, and therefore validate their lifestyle. And barring that, we have to remain completely silent, even when they are trying, very hard in some cases, to force us into acceptance. And in the same vein I am tired of seeing these same people shout from the rooftops about how tolerant they are when they obviously are not tolerant. If they were tolerant, they would not behave the way they do.

B. Biblically-speaking, homosexuality is a sin. I am not going to seek out gay people on the street, the spiritual condition of which are unknown to me, and tell them that if they are gay, they will burn in hell. I wouldn't even tell a gay person who claims to be a Christian that. I won't comment on their orientation either way at all. But if they take the step of telling me that they are gay, and God says it is now OK, I am going to correct them. I am going to correct anyone who claims to be Christian and also says homosexuality is A-OK with God, because it isn't, and what they are saying is false, within the confines of Christianity. And I would do the same thing who told me adultery was OK, or that fornication was OK, or that smoking crack was OK.
Amen! Very well said. Rep for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity