Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times

Advertisements

If this situation had taken place at a public secular place, I would already be writing letters, oganizing protest and calling the media. However, I am not sure how to deal with discrimination by a local church. Please share your thoughts on the following matter. There is a young woman who just had a baby. She is not married. She just recently got back in church and she asked the pastor if he would dedicate her baby to the Lord. I advised her to do this and even recommended the pastor. Well the baby is six weeks old now and the church just gave her an answer-she was advised by the pastor's aid the baby could not be dedicated publically or before the congregation because the young woman is an unwed mother. The aid said they had to act according to the Bible. This single mom/baby Christian came to me almost in tears and very discouraged. I am the reason this woman went to the church. I set her up to be insulted. I am outraged. I don't know of any specific scripture that says children who are born to one parent cannot be dedicated to GOD in front of the whole church. Jesus said"...let the children come unto me and forbid them not." HE also said let him who is without sin cast the first stone. No one including the pastor is in a position to judge someone who has repented. Who are they to grieve these children by treating them differently and ultimately discourage them from attending church. I am trying to be word minded in this matter, but this is just plain wrong. I am very disappointed. Now what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
You're in the wrong church. Time for you to go church shopping now.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,170,876 times
Hi Sun queen, does the congregation have elders? I know that one time when I had a problem I went directly to the leaders/elders in the church and discussed it. Or maybe you could write a letter explaining your feelings and scriptural perspective. I hope that things work out. I am sorry to hear about this. God bless.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Yep.. I'd leave the church and might even send an email to a local media outlet.. but thats me.. I'm vindictive my nature.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
Sounds like to me they were more concerned about what "people" thought than what God would think. I attended a church once that would have done the same thing (which is why I found a new church). I asked myself while reading your post and asked myself the now widely used phrase..WWJD..What would Jesus Do? and that question was answered in the op "Jesus said, let the children come unto me and forbid them not." Not only that but Jesus would have had his arms wide open to receive the babys mother too. Who are we too turn people away from God???

Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I learned a while back that when rules are made in church by a few people and are enforced by those few people, and are not in harmony with scripture, there is something wrong..very wrong IMO, I would not waste time trying to change their rules (you won't)..Find another church where you feel satisfied that the rules they follow are Gods rules..

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM

278 posts, read 910,645 times
These things happen when people chose to play religion rather than walking in the love of Jesus. Let it go and find another church. Not all churches are like that. My daughter had a baby out of wedlock and our pastor was more than happy to dedicate the baby.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:31 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
If this situation had taken place at a public secular place, I would already be writing letters, oganizing protest and calling the media. However, I am not sure how to deal with discrimination by a local church. Please share your thoughts on the following matter. There is a young woman who just had a baby. She is not married. She just recently got back in church and she asked the pastor if he would dedicate her baby to the Lord. I advised her to do this and even recommended the pastor. Well the baby is six weeks old now and the church just gave her an answer-she was advised by the pastor's aid the baby could not be dedicated publically or before the congregation because the young woman is an unwed mother. The aid said they had to act according to the Bible. This single mom/baby Christian came to me almost in tears and very discouraged. I am the reason this woman went to the church. I set her up to be insulted. I am outraged. I don't know of any specific scripture that says children who are born to one parent cannot be dedicated to GOD in front of the whole church. Jesus said"...let the children come unto me and forbid them not." HE also said let him who is without sin cast the first stone. No one including the pastor is in a position to judge someone who has repented. Who are they to grieve these children by treating them differently and ultimately discourage them from attending church. I am trying to be word minded in this matter, but this is just plain wrong. I am very disappointed. Now what should I do?
Without knowing all of the facts behind the situation and from what you describe it sounds as though the Church thought that they would be dedicating the act of permiscuity to the Lord. I'm not sure why they came to this conclusion - but I understand where you are coming from emotionally, particularly since I am a single parent myself and often times I have felt the sting rejection based on my current social situation.

That being said, here's one suggestion that I have for you. Perhaps you and your friend could have your own ceremony at your house, and dedicate the child to the Lord. The Love of God is not confined to the walls of any particular Church, seeing as we our bodies themselves are temples which make up the living kingdom of God.

Whatever you decide - I pray that the Lord will guide you in the right direction. God bless.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
If this situation had taken place at a public secular place, I would already be writing letters, oganizing protest and calling the media. However, I am not sure how to deal with discrimination by a local church. Please share your thoughts on the following matter.
I'm sorry this happened to you but, "I would already be writing letters, oganizing protest and calling the media."? Hum? What are we told in the Scriptures, "But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers." (1 Corinthians 6:6)

Quote:
There is a young woman who just had a baby. She is not married. She just recently got back in church and she asked the pastor if he would dedicate her baby to the Lord. I advised her to do this and even recommended the pastor.
Ok, so she fornicated with some dude and now has a child. How old is this irresponsible young lady? Where is the coward that got her pregnant? At least she had sense not to abort it thank God. But getting back to the problem, where is it Scriptural to "dedicate" babies? We have the old repackaged catholic infant baptism that protestants have turned into "baby dedication." If you want a real Biblical dedication read Samuel 1:11,13.

Quote:
the church just gave her an answer-she was advised by the pastor's aid the baby could not be dedicated publically or before the congregation because the young woman is an unwed mother.
It's there right to refuse. Just like it's her right to refuse to go there or your right to leave the church as well. Why is it a crime? Do churches not have autonomy?

Quote:
The aid said they had to act according to the Bible.
hypocritical. They wont because she's unwed, but the do "baby dedications" that has no Biblical support.

Quote:
This single mom/baby Christian came to me almost in tears and very discouraged. I am the reason this woman went to the church. I set her up to be insulted. I am outraged. I don't know of any specific scripture that says children who are born to one parent cannot be dedicated to GOD in front of the whole church.
No, she's discouraged because they wont do what you and her want. Your upset because you feel it's your reputation and that your choice of a church has let you down.

Quote:
Jesus said"...let the children come unto me and forbid them not." HE also said let him who is without sin cast the first stone. No one including the pastor is in a position to judge someone who has repented. Who are they to grieve these children by treating them differently and ultimately discourage them from attending church. I am trying to be word minded in this matter, but this is just plain wrong. I am very disappointed. Now what should I do?
If your trying to be word minded then, does the above verse you quoted really mean "baby dedication"? The John 8:7 passage is always quoted in various circumstances to attempt to prove the other party is wrong. So the pastor is now judgmental for not dedicating this baby? And he should not judge her because she "repented"? I think people should read their Bibles more then there would be less of this kind of misuse of Scripture.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
Marks

Couple of questions

1. What if the "irresponsible young lady" was raped? Would the response from the Church still be valid?

2. Why do you say there is no biblical support for dedications when you posted Samuel 1:11,13 a couple sentences before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity