Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM

124 posts, read 118,673 times

Advertisements

I've been a new Christian for 3 years now, and I've read some blogs about how Gods silence is one of the sure ways it's a trial of faith, and trust. Well, God has been silent for awhile now and I know he wants me to rely on his word and not my feelings. Here's my question though: when will this be over? I see people who have close fellowship with him and others who never have felt the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever had a silent or dry season? And if so, when did it end or what did you learn. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
I've been a new Christian for 3 years now, and I've read some blogs about how Gods silence is one of the sure ways it's a trial of faith, and trust. Well, God has been silent for awhile now and I know he wants me to rely on his word and not my feelings. Here's my question though: when will this be over? I see people who have close fellowship with him and others who never have felt the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever had a silent or dry season? And if so, when did it end or what did you learn. Thank you
Since you know God wants you to rely on His words and not on your feelings, that also means not relying on "feeling" the Holy Spirit or seeking after Him for a sign. If that is the reference to your feeling a silent or dry season, then you should know that is not of the Lord to be seeking signs or visitations from the Holy Spirit when He is dwelling within us by faith and not by sight nor by the flesh.

Ephesians 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report....6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith....27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

May the Lord Jesus Christ help you to keep your eyes on Himself, the Son of God, which is exactly what the Holy Spirit is leading you to do because the Bridegroom will be coming soon for the ready & abiding bride of Christ to receive to the Marriage Supper.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM

I agree, but what my question was about testimonies or experiences at the end of this.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:

Why do you believe that it will ever be over? Christianity is not about warm fuzzy feelings. If you want to grow in your faith and know God more, read your Bible and study it. In time your faith will grow and you'll grow to love God more.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM

45,595 posts, read 27,223,343 times
A couple of things for the OP...

First - do you know the various means by which Gos can speak to you through the Holy Spirit in you?
a) It could be direct communication. I have found this happens when you are quiet both physically and in spirit. Make sure you have not been practicing sin. Totally depends if God wants to communicate that way. I am including prayer in this.
b) He speaks through our reading of the Bible
c) He speaks through other believers (including, but not limited to, sermons from pastors)

Second - don't compare your experience with others. What you should know is that God does want to relate to you. Go back to the last instance you felt God speaking to you and recall what you were doing back then.

Usually in my dry periods, I am at fault - usually by being too busy, or giving into sinful behavior.

I guess it's all about understanding when the Holy Spirit inside of believers is trying to communicate to us. AND keeping open the lines of communication... which means having quiet time and prayer regularly... which means reading the Bible regularly... which means staying in contact with other believers since God is able to speak through them from the Holy Spirit in them to the Holy Spirit in you.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,881 times
Quote:
I agree, but what my question was about testimonies or experiences at the end of this.
Well, as for testimony goes, if the Psalmists' testimonies does not do anything for you, I am not sure how any one else can. You had referenced other believers in another thread and by their outward appearance, you had wondered why you do not have that peace as well, even though you may very well be wrong about them really having that peace.

I am going through a tribulation presently where I am tempted and provoked by others to go postal or to commit suicide, but Jesus is helping me through it by reminding me that whatever I do to the least of the brethren, I am doing it to Him, and my copping out by suicide and thus depriving me of ever knowing how He can get me through today as well as tomorrow is a loss I may not recover from because although still saved, my shame for not trusting Him through these dark times will be eternal and He would have to wipe the tears from my eyes to get past that shame. And I would rather not need Him to get past that shame.

Romans 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I would rather need Him to help me trust Him to get through this day & for whatever I face tomorrow. Fortunately, I am not confronted with provocative moments on a daily basis & so I am thankful for that as well as carrying me through those moments when it happens.

So ask Him to help you trust Him.

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Maybe the Lord will use some christian music videos to encourage you. They do for me.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Lord I Need You by Chris Tomlin

Chris Tomlin - Lord I Need You - YouTube

Who Am I by Casting Crowns ( w/lyrics ) below

Who Am I - Casting Crowns (w/ lyrics) - YouTube

Whom Shall I Fear [God of Angel Armies ] [ with lyrics ]

Whom Shall I Fear [God of Angel Armies] [Lyrics] - YouTube

He is helping me keep my sights on the things that really matter above with this one below:

I Can Only Imagine ( with lyrics ) by MercyMe

I Can Only Imagine (with lyrics) - MercyMe - YouTube

Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM

Very good replies, thank you.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,382 times
Quote:

What has God been silent about? What are you looking for God to do exactly?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
What has God been silent about? What are you looking for God to do exactly?
It's hard to just say all that he has done for me. I'm just gonna say it. He was literally with me, in my heart filled with love and peace. He would comfort me every time I prayed and I loved reading my bible, and praying all the time. After a while, it all went away. Nothing, I felt my prayers just hitting the ceiling. Another fellow I saw on a blog said the same thing happened to him, but later he realized it was a trial of faith. He never said what happened and how he figured it out. I just feel left out, and trying to pray and read my bible more.

People on here will just quote bible verses, or say don't go by your feelings. I understand that. I agree with that, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know if anyone has gone through that silent time, dry season in their life. There are many blogs on it, just not many testimonies or realizations.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,382 times
Quote:
It's hard to just say all that he has done for me. I'm just gonna say it. He was literally with me, in my heart filled with love and peace. He would comfort me every time I prayed and I loved reading my bible, and praying all the time. After a while, it all went away. Nothing, I felt my prayers just hitting the ceiling. Another fellow I saw on a blog said the same thing happened to him, but later he realized it was a trial of faith. He never said what happened and how he figured it out. I just feel left out, and trying to pray and read my bible more.

People on here will just quote bible verses, or say don't go by your feelings. I understand that. I agree with that, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know if anyone has gone through that silent time, dry season in their life. There are many blogs on it, just not many testimonies or realizations.
God is always with you, God is inside all of us all of the time. God is with you when you are feeling happy, filled with love, and at peace. God is also with you when you are going through difficult times, and feel empty and depressed. It is not that God is not with you, there is something that is obviously preventing you from feeling the peace and joy, but that lack of peace and joy is not because God went away. You are waiting to hear from God, and then you think you will find peace and joy. Try it the other way around. Find peace and joy first, then maybe you will hear from/feel God again.

One thing you can try doing is saying thank you every day. Even if you had the most horrible day and everything that could go wrong did, find a few things to be grateful for. Every day. Maybe even write them down. And don't forget to smile and laugh, even when you don't feel like it, do it anyway.

You have said in another thread you are depressed. Maybe you can also see a therapist. One more thing you can also try doing is "fake it till you make it".

Last edited by ashleynj; 10-23-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity