Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So on the one hand they seek to remove the Ten Commandants but they also want people to coexist? If you insult one group does that mean you must insult all groups, just to be fair mind you?

It's good they came out and decried the vandalism though.
They wanted it removed in its physical position which would seem to have spoken for the entire CITY, for heaven's sake (or that's how it appears to me), but would have no objection to a group with that specific beliefs having it up in their own locale, even if that were public...am I understanding that correctly?

That IS coexistence, isn't it? You know...people having their own beliefs, while not pushing them on the next person who may not even want them there?

Would you be cool with your city steps having a giant pentacle monument in order to commemorate the many quiet followers of older religions in the New World? Is that okay with you? Or how about a giant Star of David to commemorate the many Jewish citizens of your city who made their own contributions and whose roots go far back into the history of your city?

Making the leap between not wanting one religion to symbolize EVERY citizen (by association) is a pretty far cry from wishing that monument smashed into a million pieces, wouldn't you agree?

And how is not having ONE religion symbolize apparently the very "basis" of your city's citizenry (deliberately and specifically discounting anyone NOT of that religion), inaccurately at that, but being cool with people who DO *all* believe in that religion practicing however they wish and erecting a thousand giant monuments in their homes, places of worship and so on, "an insult" to anyone? How are you getting that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
J
cause we know of course that CNN is always "fair" and FOX isn't.
Oh, for sure CNN is the devil, with its Jesus-despising, leftist, ecstatically orgiastic agenda that hopes to see everyone in Hell one day performing the Obscene Kiss on Satan's rear.

So here's Fox's coverage, which also includes the information that the suspect stated the devil instructed him to destroy the monument and is currently under psychiatric evaluation.

p.s. Is it just me or does this dude seriously look like Robin Williams? That's just an aside, LOL. I doubt Robin Williams would have ever been inclined, even while alive, to drive into a city monument.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,748,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh my gosh, and how many Jews are in the world?

By contrast, how many Christians?

I don't think you need to be every nervous about this.

However, people DO need to be nervous that Christian "movements" will affect millions and millions (and do, and have).

World religions pie chart: Hint...Judaism is the tiny lavender sliver you can barely read and which didn't even earn black letters, they're put in there in light blue, kind of like they were an afterthought, goodness knows why. Christianity is that giant screamin' electric-green thing, that, in addition to obviously already being the largest slice, was also strategically placed on top because otherwise we could never have gotten the domination aspect all by ourselves.
My point wasn't about how many Jews there are, my point is that the Abrahamic religions ALL have strong fundamentalist segments that want to impose their own god view on every other living human. They all exhibit that same, IMO, demonic trait. And that is why they should one and all be seen as the rising anti-Christ.

Trying to reason with a fundamentalist Christian to understand oppressing people anywhere does not honor God is akin to attempting to reason with an Islamic terrorist bent on honoring God by killing people. Both are the same thing in the way they view people as objects for either control or sacrifices to their god for their own benefit. Both groups feel they honor their god with their actions.

The only reason to post on these threads with them is to hopefully reduce the number of people who will be sucked into a spiritual vacuum where the Spirit of God cannot exist. The vast majority of fundamentalists of any faith will never see the error of their ways. I was extremely fortunate coming from a fundamentalist background to experience the wisdom, compassion, and even generosity of a wonderful Christian professor in a very conservative denominational college who brought me through the trauma of learning the many errors and contradictions of scripture while holding on to faith that God works through weak, powerless, and sinful people to accomplish His will. And he used that same faulty Bible to do so.

All fundamentalist groups endanger faith that proposes love and acceptance as the essential witness of that faith.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 AM

Oh, I see. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, Warren.

I disagree that this means an anti-Christ agenda but I can respect that that's your belief.

My agenda for posting to such threads is different from yours - I just get tired of alarmist one-sided stories that omit important details, designed to further "demonize" (so to speak...or sometimes literally) non-Christians. It really gets old...from the perspective of a non-Christian. It even, obviously, based on your thread above, gets old for people who ARE Christian but happen not to be fundamentalists and/or do not have an agenda (i.e. to control and manipulate other people's "injustice" and "we are in danger and America is just accepting that! Look how far we've fallen" triggers).

My POV is also different from yours as far as your statement that fundamentalists endanger specific kinds of faith. Rather, from my belief and my experience and observation, they much more directly, and in a much more "earthly" way, endanger. They put freedoms in danger, they put education in danger, they put laws in danger; ultimately, they put people as a whole in danger, at least any faction that does not directly agree with them. Being a much more imminent v. ultimately spiritual danger (from my POV), that does warrant answering an alarmist, fact-omitting thread attempt.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:29 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,565,596 times
Quote:
Oh, for sure CNN is the devil, with its Jesus-despising, leftist, ecstatically orgiastic agenda that hopes to see everyone in Hell one day performing the Obscene Kiss on Satan's rear.

So here's Fox's coverage, which also includes the information that the suspect stated the devil instructed him to destroy the monument and is currently under psychiatric evaluation.

p.s. Is it just me or does this dude seriously look like Robin Williams? That's just an aside, LOL. I doubt Robin Williams would have ever been inclined, even while alive, to drive into a city monument.
Well that poor guy just had a mental breakdown. Probably his way of getting help. Feel sorry for him.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well that poor guy just had a mental breakdown. Probably his way of getting help. Feel sorry for him.
I do.

I also feel sorry for anyone reading a sensationalist blurb WITHOUT all the facts, as you presented with your original story which OMITTED the perp stating that Satan caused him to smash the monuments, INCLUDED the lawsuit by the ACLU but OMITTED that they are obviously not any happier than anyone else about the attack, and who therefore have their emotions manipulated and experience immediate (uninformed) "the Christians are under attack by haters!" fears.

In addition, I feel sorry for people (pretty much all of society) who suffer the aftereffects of such sensationally-presented, full-facts-lacking "stories" being picked up by fundies set to present such atrocities as anti-Christian "attacks", and then step up their constant agenda to "bring Christianity back" (as if it ever left), causing clashes, legal battles, school issues and the like.

So...I pretty much feel sorry for everybody at this point. Well, except for you, the original presenter of the story as half a story, commented with merely an apparently shocked "WOW!" and then stepped back to watch people react and watch the ---- fly.

But I'm glad the (Christian) perpetrator of this attack is getting help, anyway. We do agree on that.

Last edited by JerZ; 10-28-2014 at 02:33 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 08:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,971,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
This is a GREAT post. Maybe our fundamentalists who like to feel so persecuted will learn from it.

Then again, it may be against their religion. Too soon to rep you again.
But you reminded me that it needed to be done, thanks.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:

I disagree that this means an anti-Christ agenda but I can respect that that's your belief.

My agenda for posting to such threads is different from yours - I just get tired of alarmist one-sided stories that omit important details, designed to further "demonize" (so to speak...or sometimes literally) non-Christians. It really gets old...from the perspective of a non-Christian. It even, obviously, based on your thread above, gets old for people who ARE Christian but happen not to be fundamentalists and/or do not have an agenda (i.e. to control and manipulate other people's "injustice" and "we are in danger and America is just accepting that! Look how far we've fallen" triggers).

My POV is also different from yours as far as your statement that fundamentalists endanger specific kinds of faith. Rather, from my belief and my experience and observation, they much more directly, and in a much more "earthly" way, endanger. They put freedoms in danger, they put education in danger, they put laws in danger; ultimately, they put people as a whole in danger, at least any faction that does not directly agree with them. Being a much more imminent v. ultimately spiritual danger (from my POV), that does warrant answering an alarmist, fact-omitting thread attempt.
Your reaction of being tired of Christian "alarmists" is exactly why I claim fundamentalist, regardless of faith or denomination, the anti-Christ of the world. These kinds of actions do not attract your interest in God, do they? In fact, they drive you away and disgust you. What it does is display selfishness and self-centeredness on their part.

In contrast, Jesus attracted people of many, backgrounds, not necessarily religious, often "sinners," and He accepted them in His company. He was kind toward them. He preached hope rather than condemnation. He gave them a sense of belonging and that instilled within them a sense of longing to be close to Him. You certainly do not appear attracted to Christianity with the "witness" in this thread. And people who cannot make Christianity attractive to others aren't doing so, because their lives do not reflect Jesus.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,252,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Ummmm....... It's Oklahoma. Do you ever stop and think about the millions of Americans who are not Judeo-Christian and have non-Judeo-Christian cultures? We are a multicultural nation. Other people were here first. Other people, who don't share your culture, have since arrived.

For your much-needed education here's the first of those people:

Oklahoma Tribes | The American Indian Center
So what? The Constitution does not prohibit such a display.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Your reaction of being tired of Christian "alarmists" is exactly why I claim fundamentalism, regardless of faith or denomination, is the anti-Christ of the world. These kinds of actions do not attract your interest in God, do they? In fact, they drive you away and disgust you. What it does is display selfishness and self-centeredness on the part of fundamentalists.

In contrast, Jesus attracted people of many, backgrounds, not necessarily religious, often "sinners," and He accepted them in His company. He was kind toward them. He preached hope rather than condemnation. He gave them a sense of belonging and that instilled within them a sense of longing to be close to Him. You certainly do not appear attracted to Christianity with the "witness" in this thread. And people who cannot make Christianity attractive to others aren't doing so, because their lives do not reflect Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity