Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Perpetual forgiveness does not mean continually committing sin and asking God to forgive it. There needs to repentance for forgiveness and if you keep doing it, then there was no repentance, and no forgiveness. Read Romans 6.
So you now live in sinless perfection? You've never committed a sin and repeated it a second time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I am not judging, I am just pointing out what the Bible tells us and trying to help by leading people away from sinning. That is what God wants us to do. These are just a few of the verses telling us how much God hates divorce, there are many others. This is something God feels very strongly about. I am certain that other Christians are willing to point this out to people they come across (family, friends, coworkers) who are committing this horrible sin. I really do not understand why some pastors are willing to remarry people. I think they are doing a very bad thing when they do that.

Rom 7:1-3 (NRS) Do you not know, brothers and sisters--for I am speaking to those who know the law--that... a married woman is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives?.. Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive.

Luke 16:15-18 (NKJ) And He said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God... Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery."

Mat 5:31-32 (NAS) "It was said, 'Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce'; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

1Cor 7:39 (Wey) A woman is bound to her husband during the whole period that he lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to marry whom she will, provided that he is a Christian.

John 6:60 (NIV) On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" ...Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you?.. This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. "You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

Mal 2:16a (NIV) "I hate divorce," says the Lord...

Rom 7:1-3 (NAS) Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. So then if, while her husband is living, she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress, though she is joined to another man.
I agree and I hate divorce too, I was walked out on and cheated on. Looking back I feel that my divorces were justified but it is still harmful to have in my past. I would hope there is still forgivness for my ex's who have remarried. I still think about it and wonder if God holds it against me.

I never wanted to get divorced and maybe dwelling on it here is not healthy, I have already morned and asked for forgivness for any part I might have had. Its time to move on and do Gods work.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I agree and I hate divorce too, I was walked out on and cheated on. Looking back I feel that my divorces were justified but it is still harmful to have in my past. I would hope there is still forgivness for my ex's who have remarried. I still think about it and wonder if God holds it against me.
You're fine then. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I wish Jesus were alive today to see if he would laugh at that.
Again I must say, "OH GOOD GRIEF"

That statement is part of the whole problem...don't you see? Jesus IS very much "alive today"!

And guess what? His ultimate sacrifice for you and for me makes it possible for us to attain heaven regardless of our past sins.

NO ONE who knows him, truly knows him, will ever need to "prepare for hell".

I do not know what kind of funky religious group you may have fallen in with to have learned such false teachings about our loving and merciful God, but please, please make a choice to find a new relationship with God. The one you have proves you don't really know him at all

Old 10-28-2014, 03:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Well then it looks like there will be a lot of these so called Christians burning for eternity in the lake of fire.

Like I said, I am just glad I am not one of those people.
That sounds so self-righteous...

Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
He DOES forgive, but you have to make an effort to repent and not sin anymore. You think you can just go on sinning and that is okay? NO. If you remarry and are with your second spouse you are LIVING IN SIN! You have to stop sinning and pray for forgiveness.
How many people have you had relations with that you were not married to?...

Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I am shocked the Christians on here have nothing to say about this. How can they stay silent on such an important issue, on such a huge sin that more and more people are committing?
Huge?...Are you kidding me?...

Old 10-28-2014, 04:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Focus on today. Where am I today? Is the answer to this sin to get divorced? (Hypothetically speaking) I believe those who have made mistakes in the past, perhaps they weren't even believers at the time, maybe they were, but those who have made mistakes, as said, can't unmake them. King David and Moses were both murderers. Don't tell me murderers can't be changed and used by God. The Bible proves that over and over so there will be hope for us all.

That NONE should perish, no not one.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,210 times
Remember what Christ said to the woman caught in adultery when the people had gathered to stone her to death. Christ did not rant on her and condemn her. One huge thing that many Christians totally forget is the mercy of our Savior. Christians condemn - Christ does not. John 3:16, probably the most quoted scripture of all plainly says Christ came to save and not to condemn. Christ told the woman simply to "go and sin no more". He didn't preach and yell at her. We serve a merciful God, not a vengeful and hate-filled God.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Remember what Christ said to the woman caught in adultery when the people had gathered to stone her to death. Christ did not rant on her and condemn her. One huge thing that many Christians totally forget is the mercy of our Savior. Christians condemn - Christ does not. John 3:16, probably the most quoted scripture of all plainly says Christ came to save and not to condemn. Christ told the woman simply to "go and sin no more". He didn't preach and yell at her. We serve a merciful God, not a vengeful and hate-filled God.
THANK YOU!

It is so disturbing to read some of the comments in this thread

Clearly many folks continue to misunderstand and misinterpret our Lord and his Word.

I pray they will put their Pharisee attitudes down and look at God with fresh eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity