Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post

I'm waiting on your thesis's on those theories. Remember, in your own words now. About six pages.
Still won't answer questions.

Can't or won't? Methinks we are hearing a lot of sucking and blowing, but not much substance. Man up and answer the questions.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default Why do You Believe the World is only 6.000 years old?

Albert . . . The amount of ignorance you are confronting is legion. I don't believe it is possible to believe such nonsense about a 6,000 year old earth and actually be science-educated and intelligent. Any claims of graduating from VPI (Virginia Polytechnic Institute?) with ANY kind of degree is pure nonsense. Any claims to a knowledge of science is preposterous given the blatant ignorance of basic concepts and principles of science displayed in the posts. The grammar alone reveals you are unlikely to be dealing with an intellectual. The median IQ is 100 meaning that 50% of the population is below it. Science and reason will have little impact on them.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
There is nothing in the bible that says the earth is a sphere, either. Yet the fundamentalists have to use every trick in the book to make the bible say that it is.

The circle of the earth, the circle of the lands does not mean spherical. It is only modern English usage that allows circle to become round to become spherical. To make your case you would have to prove that modern English usage is precisely the same as that of koine and of Hebrew. Can you do so? Write me when you have become expert enough in both languages to make that case.

Of course it doesnt need to say specifically in the bible that the earth was flat. Hell, everyone alive at the time knew the earth was flat. Why waste good papyrus stating the obvious?

Same as in ancient Egypt. We have found no writings describing how to build a pyramid. Why did the Egyptians need a manual in order to build a pyramid? They had been building great monuments in stone for a thousand years before they started building pyramids. Who needs a manual?
Modern-day news casters proclaim the earth is square. They talk about "the four corners of the earth." I have been to quite a few places on this globe and have yet to see any corners of the globe.

No, people thousands of years ago knew the earth was not flat. There were Mediterannean people sailing to what is now the United States, going to Lake Superior and mining tons and tons of copper. There was actually a world trade in copper around 3,000 B.C. from Isle Royale. Michigan Copper in the Mediterranean - GrahamHancock.com articles

Also, there was found to be cocaine in some Egyptian mumies thus proving a world-wide trade even back then.

On Oak Island in Nova Scotia near what is known as the money pit, they discovered coconut fiber.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Modern-day news casters proclaim the earth is square. They talk about "the four corners of the earth." I have been to quite a few places on this globe and have yet to see any corners of the globe.

No, people thousands of years ago knew the earth was not flat. There were Mediterannean people sailing to what is now the United States, going to Lake Superior and mining tons and tons of copper. There was actually a world trade in copper around 3,000 B.C. from Isle Royale. Michigan Copper in the Mediterranean - GrahamHancock.com articles

Also, there was found to be cocaine in some Egyptian mumies thus proving a world-wide trade even back then.

On Oak Island in Nova Scotia near what is known as the money pit, they discovered coconut fiber.
Even today when you see a picture of the earth it is a ...... circle.

Why do You Believe the World is only 6.000 years old?-earth.jpg

Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Attachment 138705
I seriously suggest that you take a course in solid geometry. Plane geometry describes only a small part of our environment.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:

Attachment 138705
Wrong. By definition, a circle is a 2 dimensional flat object. The Earth is an oblate spheroid. The Bible makes it clear it's referring to a flat earth, because a tent cannot cover a 3 dimensional sphere and you can't see all the world's kingdoms from a central point on the surface of the Earth.

Why would you guys expect anyone to take you seriously on your theological explanations if you cannot even comprehend basic facts about the natural world?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Wrong. By definition, a circle is a 2 dimensional flat object. The Earth is an oblate spheroid. The Bible makes it clear it's referring to a flat earth, because a tent cannot cover a 3 dimensional sphere and you can't see all the world's kingdoms from a central point on the surface of the Earth.

Why would you guys expect anyone to take you seriously on your theological explanations if you cannot even comprehend basic facts about the natural world?
Could it be that when Christ was taken up on a high mountain that Satan shows him all the kindgoms of (not the global "world") but the "kosmos" or "system" around that mountain?

But if Satan shows Christ all the kingdoms of the entire world, could it not be that in spirit, He could see all the kingdoms of the world?

The Bible does not say, does it? that God spread out the earth like a tent but rather the heavens?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Attachment 138705
In the ancient Vedic writings of India, they wrote of flying machines and warfare in the air. If they were flying around thousands of years ago, do I really think they believed the earth was flat? No, I do not.

A paper was passed around years ago to students in school. In that writing it said they were flying over a city and dropped a container containing the power of ten thousand suns. After it exploded, people were jumping in rivers trying to wash off the contamination. People also were vaporized. The students said it had to be about Nagasaki and Hiroshima. But the paper was a translation many thousands of years old from India.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM

518 posts, read 469,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Uranium-238 decays into Lead-206 with a half life of 4.5 billion years.

This is not rocket science.

Geologic Time: Radiometric Time Scale
How can you prove that? I say you cannot repeat it in a lab. Therefore it is speculation, not proven science.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM

518 posts, read 469,413 times
[quote=the_human_being;37118645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You really don't understand what a scientific theory is and your ignorance of that is telling by what you wrote in the above statement.

Consider the following theories, and tell us why they are "just theories"

Theory of Gravity
Theory of Electricity
Theory of General Relativity

Actually, it has been pointed out on here that I am uneducated by the standards of some posting here. Since I have admitted to that fact, please post an explanation of each one of these theories in your own words for my uneducated benefit. I am most interested in the Theory of Electricity mentioned here since I hold a degree in Electrical Engineering from VPI which I am certain you would dismiss as being an insignificant school.

Six or so pages in your own words should suffice.
The Theory of Gravity is provable scientificly. You can't live long enough to prove anything that you claim (without proof) takes millions of years. It is therefore not scientific at all. Only an unprovable idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity