Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Do you even know how to hook up a scintillator? Have you ever even seen one?
No and yes.

I don't know how do a lot of things. Like operate an x-ray machine, do celestial navigation, or process DNA samples. I do, however, understand the scientific method that was used to develop all of those.

You have been avoiding telling us how the scientific method applies. Why?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 PM

63,794 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Albert . . . The amount of ignorance you are confronting is legion. I don't believe it is possible to believe such nonsense about a 6,000 year old earth and actually be science-educated and intelligent. Any claims of graduating from VPI (Virginia Polytechnic Institute?) with ANY kind of degree is pure nonsense. Any claims to a knowledge of science is preposterous given the blatant ignorance of basic concepts and principles of science displayed in the posts. The grammar alone reveals you are unlikely to be dealing with an intellectual. The median IQ is 100 meaning that 50% of the population is below it. Science and reason will have little impact on them.
Quote:
At least I have a degree in engineering and run my own electrical construction and maintenance company, Dear.
How do you get an engineering degree from only SOME college????

Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,119 times
Quote:
Sorry. It's a work day you know. Here's a few you can look at. It won't do any good though. I've already been through this with many others and no one ever wins. It's all argument. I really don't have the time to sit down and engage anyone because I do still have a business to look after.

]http://www.ucg.org/science/dna-tiny-code-thats-toppling-evolution/
]http://faculty.cas.usf.edu/dhaynie/BT/index_files/Page2287.htm

The Age of the Earth: Evidence for a Young Earth, Young Earth Evidences.

Young universe evidence - creation.com

What is a Scientific Theory?

A scientifictheory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the naturalworld that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2] As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge,scientific theories are inductive innature and aim for predictive power and explanatory force.[3][4]

The strength ofa scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain,and to its elegance and simplicity (Occam's razor).[citation needed] As additional scientific evidenceis gathered, a scientific theory may be rejected or modified if it does not fitthe new empirical findings- in such circumstances, a more accurate theory isthen desired. In certain cases, the less-accurate unmodified scientific theorycan still be treated as a theory if it is useful (due to its sheer simplicity)as an approximation under specific conditions (e.g. Newton's laws ofmotion as an approximation to special relativityat velocities which are small relative to the speed of light).[citation needed]

What is SCIENCE? ]1.a branch of knowledge or study dealing witha body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of generallaws.

Evolution is theory. Neither Evolution or Creationism can be proven. Get over it. Neither are true science.
Evolution is a theory - agreed. It meets the definition you posted: "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method..." So why do you say it is not science, since all of science deals in theories? If evolution ain't science, nothing is.

Creationism, on the other hand, is not a theory and not science. It is not well-substantiated, not acquired using the scientific method and has not been tested and confirmed.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:57 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Evolution is a theory - agreed. It meets the definition you posted: "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method..." So why do you say it is not science, since all of science deals in theories? If evolution ain't science, nothing is.

Creationism, on the other hand, is not a theory and not science. It is not well-substantiated, not acquired using the scientific method and has not been tested and confirmed.
Did you bother to read the definition of science? Both scientific theory and science require observation. There has been no observation of evolution. Anyone can have a theory about anything. Visit your local bar on Saturday night.

There are many theories out there. I like the Theory of Chaos personally. I also have a theory I call the Theory of a Virtual World.

I say this world we are prisoners of is a virtual world created for our present condition. I say we are much more than meets the eye. When I look at you, I am not seeing the real you at all. I am seeing a weak, frail, sickly and dying carbon based body. The immortal all-powerful you is a prisoner held trapped and encapsulated inside a carcass that began dying the moment it was born. Our inner man is a spiritual entity that requires a body in order to function. The body in which we are currently entrapped is a most base and pitiful thing but if we meet the expectations of our Creator, we are promised a body that will amplify our real being.

I say the reality is the spiritual realm and not this virtual physical realm. God is outside the confines of time and space. God can see both the beginning and the end from his vantage point. We are limited to ten dimensions held captive by both time and space. The joke is on us. We are given instructions as to what we must do in order to obtain our freedom from the ten dimensional constraints and gain the awesome power and liberties inherent within each of us and escape this virtual world created especially to accommodate our current condition. The creation does indeed await in anticipation of the appearance of the sons of God.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How do you get an engineering degree from only SOME college????
You go to college until you acquire whatever you go to college for. I have also taken college courses in Small Business Administration and in Corporate Taxation.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
No and yes.

I don't know how do a lot of things. Like operate an x-ray machine, do celestial navigation, or process DNA samples. I do, however, understand the scientific method that was used to develop all of those.

Since you are interested and hung up on theories, why don't you explain it and the Theory of Gravity, the Theory of Chaos, the Theory of Electricity - both the Electron Theory and Conventional Theory since they both result in the same things. You might even explain the Atomic Theory since in my own opinion, it probably answers both the electrical questions. Elaborate on the Positron Theory as well.

What do you have against science? Why are you hung up on theories? I have given you the definitions for both scientific theory and for science. Those two should suffice.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
No and yes.

I not only read about them, I actually applied some of them.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Well, thanks for the cut and paste. Part of which describes what a scientific theory is. Great.

That was not my question.

My question was what is the scientific method. Part of your cut and paste links to the description. Now that you know where to find the answer, and I assume you are entirely cognizant of that links contents, tell us HOW that scientific method was used to develop your young earth perspective. The links you provided (half didn't work as the cut and paste did not capture the URLs) show NO indication of utilizing the scientific method.

I haven't seen this much twisting and turning since American Bandstand. Why do apologetics never seem to actually answer a direct question?

Y'all understand it now?
I said I was uneducated by your standards. Why don't you educate me? I don't have the time nor inclination to entertain you. Instead of asking me questions why not simply use the online encyclopedia?

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
A warm blooded egg laying mammal.. naa.. couldn't be transitional could it?

What the heck, this link gives about 100 transitional fossils.

And a few more, many duplicates from the above link, but in a different format.

OH, and look at this. A fish, that can not only walk, but it can live out of water. And evolve in one generation. Imagine that. Many would say, eyup, that would be one of those transition critters.

Unusual Fish that 'Walks' Holds Clues to Animal Evolution

Oh LOOK. It is not the only fish that walks out of water. Imagine that!

Naa... none of those could be transitional.
Check this out:

Debunking Evolution - problems between the theory and reality; the false science of evolution

Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Tell us about the Theory of Electricity. That one should be right up your alley. Didn't you take some courses in that?

Why is it ONLY a Theory?

Hint, if you answer and understand what the scientific method is all about, you can answer both why the Theory of Electricity is as valid as the Theory of Evolution. I have noticed you are avoiding telling us about the scientific method though, and how it applies.
I thought it was you that I already asked to do that. Look it up in the online encyclopedia. Should take you two minutes tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity