Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is there a possibility that there is something imperfect about the Bible? Or perhaps a part of traditional Christian doctrine does not jive completely with the Man Upstairs?
First of all, God is not a man.

Quote:
If this were true, would it even matter to Christians?

No, it would not matter to Christians.

If God were to send some clear sign that He didn't approve of exactly the message that was being sent by the Christian church, no one in the Christian church would even care about the message. They would say this: "Well, while it does seem like a clear omen or divine message, the fact that it contradicts our Biblical truth indicates that it is from Satan. Therefore the 'divine message' cannot be trusted."

What do you think of this type scenario occurring?
What is the message being sent by the Christian church God might not approve of?

If it is: "If you don't love God, God is going to burn you in flaming fire for eternity," then that is not in accord with the Bible.

If the message is: Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused out of death the third day, then that is in accord with the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Correct! I am a Christian because I follow the teachings of Jesus. And I can do that because Jesus taught some valuable lessons.

And I cannot prove or disprove the existence of God. How can any one do that? are you able to prove God to me?
The underlined above is not why people are Christians.

From prior conversations, you don't believe He was raised from the dead. How can you truly follow Him when you do not believe in His resurrection?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

From prior conversations, you don't believe He was raised from the dead. How can you truly follow Him when you do not believe in His resurrection?
Abraham Lincoln, Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King all stayed dead. Bad role models?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Those whose faith is shakiest are the most likely to use their bible as a crutch.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:

I just like what Jesus said. I don't know if Jesus was resurrected or not. But, I can call myself a Christian if I like what Jesus taught. And BTW I do not care much for Saint Paul the darling of the Sola Scriptura folks.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I just like what Jesus said. I don't know if Jesus was resurrected or not. But, I can call myself a Christian if I like what Jesus taught. And BTW I do not care much for Saint Paul the darling of the Sola Scriptura folks.
In light of what you stated above, how can you call yourself a "Christian"?
This is what makes a person a Christian:

Romans 4:17-25 according as it is written that, A father of many nations have I appointed you - facing
which, he believes it of the God Who is vivifying the dead and calling what is not as if it were -" (18)
who, being beyond expectation, believes in expectation, for him to become the father of many nations,
according to that which has been declared, "Thus shall be your seed." (19) And, not being infirm in faith,
he considers his body, already deadened (being inherently somewhere about a hundred years) and the
deadening of the matrix of Sarah, (20) yet the promise of God was not doubted in unbelief, but he was
invigorated by faith, giving glory to God, (21) being fully assured also, that, what He has promised, He is
able to do also." (22) Wherefore, also, it is reckoned to him for righteousness." (23) Now it was not
written because of him only, that it is reckoned to him, (24) but because of us also
, to whom it is about
to be reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead." (25) Who
was given up because of our offenses, and was roused because of our justifying."

Are you at least believing God that Christ died for our sins/offenses, was entombed and roused from the dead?

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Now I am making known to you, brethren, the evangel which I bring to you,
which also you accepted, in which also you stand, (2) through which also you are saved, if you are
retaining what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly." (3) For
I give over to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the
scriptures, (4) and that He was entombed, and that He has been roused the third day according to the
scriptures,

Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Exactly DRob4JC. It seem like many of Christianity just don't realize the most basic tenets of Christianity. It seems many of then go by feelings rather than faith. They just want to "fit in" or have a bubbly experience, listen to good Christian music during the service or eat cookies after.

And the really bad thing is this: These people come on these boards and try to tell people where they are wrong as to the ***faith***.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Are you at least believing God that Christ died for our sins/offenses, was entombed and roused from the dead?
I don't see why Jesus had to die for our sins. That line does not work for me. I am a Christian because I was born Catholic and because I like the teachings of Jesus. I do not know if he was risen or not, but I would still like Jesus even if he was not risen.

I say the NIcene Creed every Sunday in Church because I am a Catholic and that is my religion, but religion is religion and in religion EVERYTHING goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity