Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 03:30 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The same is true who major on the scriptures being literal and events that actually happened.

Jesus said my words are spirit and life, in other words, everything that comes forth out of me is nothing but spirit and life, if this is so, how can his Father(God) be anything other than what he is if he is one with the Father. What they were attributing to the God of the Old Testament was not God but the God of their false conceptions.
Job's friends had the false conceptions of God, not Job.

Quote:
What you along with all the rest of the bible fundamentalists are failing to see because of your literal beliefs is, the scriptures are saying the same thing all the way through...... Man looks at something, either desires it or believes and assumes something to be true and then conceives it, and salvation is salvation from the unlovely things he conceives and the salvation of God is abundantly unconditionally available from all the unlovely things for those who believe in it.
Pure philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
No, Job said it. I cannot understand how you are denying what Job said.
The book of Job does not say the evil things came upon him BECAUSE he feared them and neither does Job himself.

Of course Job said the things he feared have not come upon him. But Job never said the evil I feared came upon me because I feared the evil.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The book of Job does not say the evil things came upon him BECAUSE he feared them and neither does Job himself.

Of course Job said the things he feared have not come upon him. But Job never said the evil I feared came upon me because I feared the evil.
Tell me what you believe Job is saying by this statement he made

For the thing which I greatly feared IS come upon me, and that which I was afraid of IS come unto me

Did he fear good was going to happen to him or evil ?.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Job's friends had the false conceptions of God, not Job.

Pure philosophy.
All men who have not had a revelation of the mystery of God which is Christ in you the hope of glory have a false concept of God IS, will continue to seek an grasp for unknown God outside of them and because they can't find him because they are looking in the wrong place for him, limit him to be contained within the scriptures they call truth.

Paul said examine yourself to see if you are IN the faith, do you not realize Jesus Christ is in you?, if you don't you have failed the test, what test?, knowing where Christ IS.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
One would have to supply the allegory for each and every point in the book.
The number of allegories is moot as long as they are used to illustrate a point.

Quote:
Job himself was not an allegorical person. Others wrote of him as an historic person in the old and new testaments.
You are not a young kid anymore. Using circular logic is not very elegant.

Quote:
Just because some say the book is allegorical does not mean it actually is.
Whether the book can be allegorical and the message is exactly the same. Why does the book has to be taken literally? The message remains the same!!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Whether the book can be allegorical and the message is exactly the same. Why does the book has to be taken literally? The message remains the same!!
If the message is the same then why are you fighting a literal understanding?

Why can't Job be taken literally? Did the writers of the Scriptures take Job's experience literally? Yes, of course they did. Were they inspired to say so? Yes, of course they were.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
All men who have not had a revelation of the mystery of God which is Christ in you the hope of glory have a false concept of God IS, will continue to seek an grasp for unknown God outside of them and because they can't find him because they are looking in the wrong place for him, limit him to be contained within the scriptures they call truth.

Paul said examine yourself to see if you are IN the faith, do you not realize Jesus Christ is in you?, if you don't you have failed the test, what test?, knowing where Christ IS.
Job didn't have a false concept of God.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
If the message is the same then why are you fighting a literal understanding?
If I am writing a story to send a message, what really matters is the message. If a tall strong man is the main character in my story I can say the man was ten feet tall and as strong as a T Rex to convey the message that the man was really strong. This sort of hyperbole helps convey the message quite well.

Whether Job is a real character or not is a moot point. What really matters is the meaning of the Book of Job.

And you ask why fight literal understanding?

Because if we take the the book literally we have to explain why God is a killer of children. If we take the book as an allegory then God looks good and the message of the book remains the same. No need for you to rationalize and justify the murder of children because God made a bet with Satan.

Last edited by Julian658; 11-16-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Julian658,
God sacrificed His only begotten Son. Look what good came and will come out of that.

Job was an historic, real person. If we take the book as a sort of faery tale with a goody goody ending, then it still portrays God as a killer of children, though He did not personally kill the children. But either way, whether we take the story literally or allegorically, according to you, God still looks bad.

But the book of Job does not paint God in a bad way, so why do you try to as if the sole thing to take away from the writing is that "God is a killer of children." Really?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:10 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
If you believe the story of Job is literal you also have to believe that satan has access to the power of God for his use to bring calamity upon a persons life. It was the fire of God that fell upon Job's sheep and servants.

How is it that men like King David who was called a man after God's own heart not put through the mill like Job was, other than because of his own poor choices?.
I agree with your posts in this thread, pcamps. I have long thought that satan/the adversary in the book of Job was symbolic of Job himself. And representative of what I believe is a misconception many people had (and still have): that God intervenes in our physical world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity