Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To worry and annoy people who didn't understand what Jesus was all about.
So what do you do with this passage? Ignore it? Understand a different meaning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So what do you do with this passage? Ignore it? Understand a different meaning?
Do you want my honest opinion?

Regarding parables or regarding ANYTHING in the Bible: (1) Don't ask any other person. (2) Don't use any commentaries or study guides. Go directly to God. As him directly what the meaning is. I'm convinced that no one else's opinion should have any bearing. If anyone else does understand it, or if they think they understand it, it shouldn't matter. The only reason you should accept the validity of the Bible to begin with is because it validates what is in your heart, right? I mean, if you were to read something in the Bible that didn't make sense you would think it was all just nonsense, wouldn't you?

If God's answer were to contradict your religious belief in some way, what would you do with that revelation? If the truth were different from your religious faith, would you even want to know the truth?

Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Regarding parables or regarding ANYTHING in the Bible: (1) Don't ask any other person. (2) Don't use any commentaries or study guides. Go directly to God. As him directly what the meaning is. I'm convinced that no one else's opinion should have any bearing. If anyone else does understand it, or if they think they understand it, it shouldn't matter. The only reason you should accept the validity of the Bible to begin with is because it validates what is in your heart, right? I mean, if you were to read something in the Bible that didn't make sense you would think it was all just nonsense, wouldn't you?

If God's answer were to contradict your religious belief in some way, what would you do with that revelation? If the truth were different from your religious faith, would you even want to know the truth?
OK, pretend I never asked you.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
OK, pretend I never asked you.
I know. It's absurd to even think of asking God about truth.

It almost sounds like you are an atheist because you don't expect to get a sufficient answer.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 PM

23,144 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Why do so many Christians seem to be so focused on how to gain salvation? They worry about whether works or belief will affect their afterlife. It's all seems so absurd. Is that really all there is to this life? There's practically nothing in the Bible to even support such a thing. And what is there is so minute and miniscule and questionable, yet it still seems to rise to the surface and overpower everything else in the deluded minds of so many Christians.

Don't they realize the kingdom of God refers to a spiritual attitude that is all about living in THIS life right now?

So many Christians seem to completely miss every point that Jesus was trying to make.

We want to be married.

It's the whole point and the bride has a great deal of instructions in how to prepare. Not all who are in line to be married will be married.

St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Grass Is Greener (Live @ 2013 Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion) - YouTube

Old 11-23-2014, 03:28 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The first part of the parable (v. 1-7) is an allegory of Israel's unfaithful response to God and His prophets. This leads-up to the invitation extended to the Gentiles ... and anyone who would come.

1) What is the wedding feast? -- aka: 'Wedding supper of the lamb" - Heavenly celebration of Christ and His bride -- Rev. 19:6-9: 6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. 9 And the angel said[a] to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

2) Who are the guests? -- Attending the wedding feast will be not only the Church as the bride of Christ, but others as well. The "others" include Old Testament saints who are going to be raised at the Second Coming, as well as the martyred dead of the Tribulation. As the angel told John to write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb” (Revelation 19:9). The marriage supper of the Lamb is a glorious celebration of all who are in Christ!

3) What is the wedding garment? -- Rev. 19:8 - Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God's holy people.)

4) Who is the person dressed inappropriately? - This is a representation of those who expect or hope to approach Holy God (aka: "enter the sheep pen" - John 10:1) on some other basis than grace through faith in Jesus Christ (works, merit, theology, etc). For those prior to the coming of Christ, it is still those who lived by faith in God (ie; “Abraham was declared righteous because of his faith”) -- This is similar to the parable of the sheep and the goats –Matt. 25:31-46)

5) Why was he (#4) speechless? -- Per Rom 1:18-20, those who 'suppress God's truth in their wickedness are without excuse'. The final judgment will not be a trial with lawyers arguing their cases, but, rather the righteous, one-way judgment of an all-knowing God. -- There will be nothing left to say for the one who spends their lifetime rebelling against God and ignoring Jesus Christ.

6) What was his (#4) ultimate fate? -- "Weeping and gnashing of teeth" is a metaphor for the sorrow of those who are confronted with responsibility for their own rebellion against God and rejection of Jesus Christ during this lifetime. This is a place/time of punishment and/or separation from God ... while fully aware of what one could have had by simply turning to Christ for Salvation.
Amen !

Quote:
Enjoyed reading this! Always appreciate your wise words.
Totally agree with you Jimmy !
Always enjoy his wisdom from our Lord as it has encouraged and confirms God's workmanship deeper !

Quote:
Walk the right walk or wear the proper wedding garment?
Amen !
Wedding Garmet = The "Rightousness of Christ," and without it no man/woman shall see nor inherit the kingdom of our God, amen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

People hearing that would have understood it better also since when a person was invited to a wedding, the host would provide the wedding clothes for the attendee to wear.

What Jesus was teaching whoever rejects the free gift of the robe of righteousness provided by God and instead relies efforts \ works \ righteousness will be thrown out. No where did Jesus imply that such a person is thrown out until God gets his act together (so to speak) like the lie of Satan perverts it into which the UR'ers promote.
Amen.....

Quote:
Thank you. I'm going to "split hairs" with you on a few things.

#3- The wedding garment is Christ's righteousness, imputed to us at the point of salvation.

#4- The person dressed inappropriately is a hypocrite, one who "played church", but was never serious about serving Christ.

#5- The man was speechless because he knew he was guilty
^^^ Amen, to these words understood and spoken of God's TRUTH ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Thank you Jimmy, nice thread,much better than the other garbage that has been started, this is a good learning tool.
Amen, yes, Jimmy thank you !
You are such a blessing from our precious Lord God, Jesus Christ !

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I know. It's absurd to even think of asking God about truth.

It almost sounds like you are an atheist because you don't expect to get a sufficient answer.
What the heck are you talking about?

Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

What answer did God give you?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:

6) What was his (#4) ultimate fate?
He does not attend the wedding feast and is cast into outer darkness. Eventually he will be made a subject of the kingdom and reunited in Jesus Christ according to 1 Cor. 15 and Ephesians 1. God bless.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What answer did God give you?
That I should trust God more than what men have written down. That includes anything that was inspired by thoughts about God, such as the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity