Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times

Advertisements

If you do, how do you know when He is doing so?

I have a big decision to make in life that will affect A LOT of people, and I feel like God is pulling me in one direction. But how do I know whether it's my own emotion or the Holy Spirit? Without going into detail, I feel like God is compelling me to do something (it's not a sin otherwise I would know it's not of God). But, sometimes I feel it might be my emotions talking. Which could it be? Or does God not talk to people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 07:02 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.…
"Talk" may not be the right word, but "Lead" surely is.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
First you need to be born again in the Spirit of God to hear from God , either that or gnosis spirits of this world which are not of God can lead people into a form of godliness but have no real power of God , and these spirit sound like God and they can bring in wisdom of their ideas which could be biblical , but there will be errors and hope will not be there in truth .........Still God can draw people to salvation , where prayer of righteous people are being heard by God through Jesus Spirit , and people are trying with repentance ....... God does speak to His children , and He will drop in them complete messages all at once quickening which is life of God will be there , .....Where demons are talkers and can talk and talk , and these need to be rebuked in Jesus name .......Then God can bring messages by His Holy angels who will come and tell the message and then go back to God , then there are people who have gifts of Holy Spirit which God brings a prophetic Word for faith in the promises of Christ for the purpose of God

Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

I have a big decision to make in life that will affect A LOT of people, and I feel like God is pulling me in one direction. But how do I know whether it's my own emotion or the Holy Spirit? Without going into detail, I feel like God is compelling me to do something (it's not a sin otherwise I would know it's not of God). But, sometimes I feel it might be my emotions talking. Which could it be? Or does God not talk to people?
you are an interactions between a large group of particles in another large group of particles. Before you act, check with a lawyer.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.…
"Talk" may not be the right word, but "Lead" surely is.

And then there is "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy..."

Eddie, I don't know if this is true of you in this case, but I know that sometimes when we have a big decision to make, we want to think God is leading us in a particular direction because if our choice is "sanctioned by God" it feels like it's a guarantee that God will protect us from unwanted consequences or hardships as a result of our choice.

Personally, I don't think it works that way. But I do think your God-given sense of what does the most good for everyone involved can help you make the best possible decision.

All the best to you.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:

I believe that any motivation to benefit others that is not selfish but it is driven at the sacrifice of self is the opposite of sin and therefore exhibits the Spirit of God.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
nd then there is "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy..."
Eddie, I don't know if this is true of you in this case, but I know that sometimes when we have a big decision to make, we want to think God is leading us in a particular direction because if our choice is "sanctioned by God" it feels like it's a guarantee that God will protect us from unwanted consequences or hardships as a result of our choice.
Personally, I don't think it works that way. But I do think your God-given sense of what does the most good for everyone involved can help you make the best possible decision.
All the best to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I believe that any motivation to benefit others that is not selfish but it is driven at the sacrifice of self is the opposite of sin and therefore exhibits the Spirit of God.
Sage advice from our sister and brother in Christ, Eddie.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:

It's a tricky thing for sure to know that your answers are coming from God. There is a barrier there and pushing past that barrier takes time, effort and lots of practice. Personal revelation from God should be the most important goal for all of us. Praying and receiving divine guidance in all things is precisely the way that God wants us to live our lives. If you want an answer from God badly enough, it really makes no difference how little practice you've had. You just reach out to the divine with all your might and refuse to give up until you find Him.

Even the most experienced person with personal revelation will have to sort out whether it's personal desires giving them the answer that they want. The most important thing is to fully accept the complete opposite of what you want to do. Then pray.

How do you know when God is speaking to you? That varies by the individual. For me, it's a matter of exertion. It's kinda like pushing against something physical, but it is your heart and mind does the pushing. I contemplate both possibilities. One of them will give me a surge of euphoric feelings. An overwhelming peace, if that makes any sense. Contemplating the other and sometimes I will feel nothing in particular. Sometimes I'll feel a dark uneasiness. Sometimes my mind goes blank and I forget what I was asking for. Asking for the wrong thing varies in other words, but it never gives you that sense of overwhelming peace. The more important the question, the more I will test both possibilities repeatedly to see if I am making the correct choice. A choice between two paths where I have personal bias: That can be pretty tricky and you do have to be careful.

Other revelations seem to come a lot easier, at least for me. Sometimes a certain idea just feels right. Sometimes I just know that I should take an alternate route on my drive from point A to B. Inspiration while reading scripture or contemplating spiritually important matters tends to flow freely and easily. Sometimes you see images that symbolize future events. Sometimes communication from God comes so powerfully that you concepts and words are crystal clear. It is through those types of experiences that I came to know how absolutely real God is. I know that God exists and cares for me and all human beings on this planet more fully than I know my full given name is real. I know it just as completely and thoroughly as I know that I'm alive.

My in-laws and my wife and I have all gotten answers that hurt us. It's possible we manufactured our own answers, but more likely it's because of how God really works. Remember that like any given Father, God is interested in building character and helping us grow. Sometimes that means putting us through things that we find unpleasant to help us grow.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Test what you want to do against the Spirit of agape love . . . which is concern for the well-being of all who are involved. Sincerely seek guidance from the Comforter to what God has "written in our hearts." If it violates the Spirit of agape love as sincerely felt in your heart . . . it can NOT be of God.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
I have learned from my personal relationship with God that when being lead I follow. For instance I was drawn strongly to relocate 400 miles to another city. The urge was overwhelming. I had no idea why but of course I came up with a few ideas that were wrong. But deep down I knew it was for a good purpose. So I took what little savings I had and moved to where I was lead and everything just fell in place. The people I met needed help with things like working on a car that sat for 5 yrs and is now running. The same person asked for a patio that they wished they could have so I built one. The patio was an awesome experience. I had very little material to work with but I had faith. With that faith I was lead to a website called freecycle. Lo and behold material came into the picture. The exact things I needed. By seeing this my faith grew more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity