Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 11:21 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's YOUR definition of Fundamentalism. If we asked 20 people in this forum to tell us how they define Fundamentalism, we'd get 20 different answers.

It's not the traditional view of Scripture. It's ONE view of Scripture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why are you so bent on telling people they can't believe something?
People can believe what they want, but other people can also believe and say what they want too..... that was Mensa point

Old 12-24-2019, 05:07 PM

846 posts, read 609,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a common accusation made by fundamentalists, and it has been made here by your fellows long before you arrived on the scene, so we know that's your perception, but it's not actually the case.

It's been discussed at length that non-fundamentalist Christianity for many of us reflects a deeper understanding of God and the teachings of Christ as well as more of an immersion into Scripture, reading it in context and studying it beyond memorizing verses and assuming what the words on the surface seem to mean from the perspective of today.

It goes far beyond "personal reasons and/or motives", which, amusingly, we tend to see as the "version of God" of the fundamentalists!

But you won't get there until you get there. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas!
That definition came straight from the dictionary. I did not come up with that label, “fundie”. The like minded on this forum did. I simply think of myself as having faith in the true God who gave us his inspired Word.

Reading Scripture based upon your feelings is almost as wrong as getting theology from liberal scholars. Every verse and every word has been studied and written about for centuries. To think that some progressive professor or writer has some new revelation that directly defies all the biblical experts throughout the centuries is ear candy for those who create their own little god.

Καλά Χριστούγεννα

Old 12-24-2019, 05:20 PM

846 posts, read 609,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am a humble person. Not inclined to argue before the Christian holiday of Christmas. It is my observation that Christians Fundementalist or progressive both extrapolate their personal fears, hatreds, biases onto their creeds and beliefs in God. But I still don't understand the point your making to me. I am willing to concede my biases and work towards moving towards peace and fellowship with those I disagree with. Don't see your point. Are you saying I shouldn't? I don't get the implications of your post to me.
As I stated , we few Christians (Fundies) believe the Bible is God inspired, supernatural in Origin and all of it is worthy of teaching. Perhaps your issue is with the Biblical God. The Bible doesn’t tell us to hate or have biases. It doesn’t mean we are perfect... even though Jesus tells us to be perfect

Christians really don’t come to any conclusion of who or what is the Lord. We have His Word to tell us. But congratulations on being that progressive kind of religious guy. You are well represented here.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:46 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
A recent study into thebeliefs of people living in 137 countries concludes that religious people will be a minority in many developed countries by 2041.

If current trends continue, the crossing point, whereby atheists, agnostics, and “nones” equals the number of Christians in this country, will be in the year 2062. If that gives you reason to celebrate, consider this: by the year 2130, the percentage of Americans who identify themselves as Christian will equal a little more than 1 percent.

Atheists have their number: How the Christian right is hastening religion’s decline - Salon.com

100 years from now:

So why do you think that is?
A bigger question is, will the Atheists and non-believers who blame religion as the root cause of almost all problems will be jumping with joy and pleasure because the society will be free from almost all problems, as there would hardly be any religion left?

Well, we don’t know what future holds but IMO, the ills of a 99% godless society is not something that religion hating Atheists would come to enjoy. That “utopia” will actually be a true mess.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:19 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
That definition came straight from the dictionary. I did not come up with that label, “fundie”. The like minded on this forum did. I simply think of myself as having faith in the true God who gave us his inspired Word.

Reading Scripture based upon your feelings is almost as wrong as getting theology from liberal scholars. Every verse and every word has been studied and written about for centuries. To think that some progressive professor or writer has some new revelation that directly defies all the biblical experts throughout the centuries is ear candy for those who create their own little god.

Καλά Χριστούγεννα
I don't know why you quoted my post. I said nothing, nor would I, about reading Scripture based on feelings or about liberal scholars. Or about a "definition" of anything.

Anyway, you're free to state your opinion, but I'd rather you didn't quote my post and then respond with something totally irrelevant to what I wrote.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Christianity's Rapid Decline (hell, churches, Revelation, agnostic)
Looks like this turned yet into another "fundie" bashing thread.

Why is Christianity declining? I believe many cultural Christians simply don't bother to pretend anymore, and declare they are atheists, which is what they were all along. They'll still celebrate Christmas, but it won't be about Christ anymore, if it ever was. Its about the party, the food, and presents.

USSR tried getting rid of Christianity altogether, and it didn't end well.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
It is important for them to associate it with all things negative, because they resent "fundies". They can't help it.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is important for them to associate it with all things negative, because they resent "fundies". They can't help it.
Fundies hurt people. Fundamentalism erodes common sense and replaces it with superstition, ignorance and fear.

It must be abolished.

They must become extinct.

Then the world will be a better place for all.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2019, 09:25 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
As I stated , we few Christians (Fundies) believe the Bible is God inspired, supernatural in Origin and all of it is worthy of teaching. Perhaps your issue is with the Biblical God. The Bible doesn’t tell us to hate or have biases. It doesn’t mean we are perfect... even though Jesus tells us to be perfect

Christians really don’t come to any conclusion of who or what is the Lord. We have His Word to tell us. But congratulations on being that progressive kind of religious guy. You are well represented here.
I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, super natural in origin and all of it is worthy of teaching as well. I still don't get your point to me. I only know your projecting a great deal of assumptions upon me, based on nothing. I don't understand your feelings towards me. My point however, was I must endeavor to be more open to those Fundementalist who hold beliefs that I don't share, because we are all in the service of the same Master. In that spirit, I will say, I love you, this Christmas, despite what ever you think you have agaignst me or people like me.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It must be abolished.

They must become extinct.

Then the world will be a better place for all.
Whatever you say Adolf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.