Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times

Advertisements

So based on the conversations on here and ones that have transpired in the last couple of weeks, why has this website not deemed the use of the word "fundamentalist" or anything of it's sorts, in a certain context, to be derogatory and subsequently take action against those individuals? It's almost like someone is saying you call yourself a Christian, but I don't think you're really one. That type of rationalization is clearly against the essence of the rules on here, yet it's allowed. Am I missing something?

Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
So based on the conversations on here and ones that have transpired in the last couple of weeks, why has this website not deemed the use of the word "fundamentalist" or anything of it's sorts, in a certain context, to be derogatory and subsequently take action against those individuals? It's almost like someone is saying you call yourself a Christian, but I don't think you're really one. That type of rationalization is clearly against the essence of the rules on here, yet it's allowed. Am I missing something?
Yep.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yep.
Are you going to explain?

Old 03-20-2015, 11:57 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
... If I think God is telling me something, I'll keep it to myself and see how it plays out.
That is often the wise path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, we did discuss this, if you read through the thread. E.g., I never thought the term "Fundamentalist" was supposed to be derogatory, although it has become so sometimes. On the other hand, I've heard bible-infallibility/inerrancy people proudly claim the title.

Do we have an acceptable term for Christians who believe the bible is the literal, infallible, voice of God that we can all agree on so we can proceed with the conversation without anyone perceiving name-calling?
I have no problem with the phrase being used. It is clear from how some use it, that they mean it to be negative.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Since I was misled for so many years by being a fundamentalist myself, I would say derogatory is a kind description. I frankly believe that fundamentalism is the first appearance of the anti-Christ (not an individual, but the cultic group).

I just don't get how all of you can claim inerrancy and infallibility for the Bible when it doesn't claim it for itself.
Rev. 22:18

It's far better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
So all fundamental Christians MUST fit inside your box that you have labeled as anti-Christ and cultic?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I think if we were this negative against Catholics, the thread would be closed.

I might be wrong.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Are you going to explain?
No.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
I frankly believe that fundamentalism is the first appearance of the anti-Christ (not an individual, but the cultic group).
Seriously?

You escalate it from "not a good enough Christian" to "anti-Christ".

Someone, somewhere had really hurt you to cause all this resentment, but don't you think you are going a little overboard with these attacks?

Old 03-20-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No.
I figured it out anyway. Thank you though.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
NO problem thus far with this thread, folks, but simply wanted to interject an early-on warning that there is to be NO bashing or demeaning of those who consider themselves to be fundamentalist. Let's have a civil and meaningful discussion, void of any personal attacks or insults....That's all!

Carry on, and happy posting!

~June

Quote:
Since I was misled for so many years by being a fundamentalist myself, I would say derogatory is a kind description. I frankly believe that fundamentalism is the first appearance of the anti-Christ (not an individual, but the cultic group).

I just don't get how all of you can claim inerrancy and infallibility for the Bible when it doesn't claim it for itself.
Rev. 22:18

It's far better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.