Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I believe the term "fundamentalist" most definitely is used in negative connotation and carries stereotypical negative traits that go beyond just believing in an inerrant literal Bible. I often hear "typical fundie" in discussions coupled with claims that we are less intelligent and more intolerant than other sects of Christianity.

But our beliefs go beyond just accepting a literal Bible. We believe there is supernatural power with the words of the Bible. We believe in spiritual warfare as explained in Ephesians 6:12, and the Word of God is our shield and weapon. We believe the prophecies in the Bible to be completely true and have often been fullfilled in history as well.
Exactly. The rest of us believe there is supernatural power in God alone, not in any manmade thing.

I wouldn't say fundamentalists, or whichever name people who believe in the inerrant, literal Bible would prefer to be called, are necessarily less intelligent than any other group of people, but in general, it appears to true that they tend to be less tolerant of others/more ready to point fingers and declare who is worthy of being called Christian and who is damned, using bible quotes to back up their cases. More liberal Christians tend to leave that sort of thing up to God.

In more extreme cases of fundamentalism, the delight and ecstacy at the thought of other people's damnation is readily apparent, even on message boards. That's creepy to the rest of us.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So basically, faith outside the bible is an oxymoron? Therefore teaching cannot take place in the absence of the bible?
Faith? No one said that. Clearly you missed the point.

Can you share some spiritual teachings which are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, but cannot be found in the Bible? What would you add to the Bible?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, fundamentalists believe in the fundamental teachings of Jesus Christ, and those teachings can be found in the Bible, and can be understood correctly with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

A lot of people insist they are Christians but claim the Bible is not accurate and say they receive God's teachings from other sources, but when you ask them to share some of His teachings (useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness) which they have received, but cannot be found in the Bible, they have nothing to share. Yes, the Spirit talks to us, but won't contradict God's word, because it would mean contradicting itself.
Actually, when I pointed out an example, you claimed that the principle was taught in the bible. No argument there and the principle of love and the golden rule is outstanding teaching in the Bible. If you wanted to say that the principle is good but applications may vary I would be right there, but you want to say that applications presented in one case are applicable in another in spite of the fact that they violate the principle.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,261,976 times
Quote:

Can you share some spiritual teachings which are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, but cannot be found in the Bible? What would you add to the Bible?
Teachings that are useful for teaching, rebuking (such a crude word) correcting, and training in righteousness (seriously...I train my dog not to potty in the house)

I will risk saying that theses are quite punitive ideas...all sound like they assume that people are incapable of doing for themselves with out interference from a theologian?

Rather than sounding redundant, I will let the following stand as my answer to spiritual teachings that are not as punitive as rebuking and training (shm)....

I would add the following closing paragraphs--

This book contains just WORDS, nothing but WORDS made up of letters. There is NO magical formulas with these pages. There are NO cures for any ails, no sure fire rituals to gain access to heaven, wealth or knowledge--just words that exemplify what God wants His people to know-

LOVE. That's all folks, L O V E and nothing more. If you have love, then you have knowledge. If you have LOVE you have wealth. If you have love you will forgive. If you have love, you will have no other choice but to fulfill God's will.

You will NOT touch God within these pages.
You will NEVER see Jesus within these pages
You will never hear the Holy Spirit with these pages.

What you will learn is how merciful and forgiving God has been and that by doing the same, we can have just a glimpse of what unconditional love is really like.

PLEASE, leave the bible at home and go out into the world and let your actions be your witness, because love does indeed cover a multitude of sin.

Let the crusades begin!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
LOVE. That's all folks, L O V E and nothing more. If you have love, then you have knowledge. If you have LOVE you have wealth. If you have love you will forgive. If you have love, you will have no other choice but to fulfill God's will.
I asked for things not found in the Bible, and you offer something which is taught repeatedly in the Bible. Point proven. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
I asked for things not found in the Bible, and you offer something which is taught repeatedly in the Bible. Point proven. Thanks.
But they want their personal revelations to be superior to the Bible.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, but they won't share those revelations with anyone else. Jesus commanded to share.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,261,976 times
Quote:
But I do not need the bible to know this. do not need another human to tell me if am acceptable and that what I believe is in line with the bible.

Quote:
WOW..just wow...

Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:

Do you really need the bible to tell you that you reap what you sow in life, that if you live your life by reacting with an eye for an eye you are no different to the offender and bring your self down to their state of being, that if your life does not match your confession then who cares about your faith?.

So the question is, do you have something inside of you that gives you the ability to discern what is righteousness that you can follow it, or do you have to solely rely on the bible to instruct you?.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
No, they want the Spirit that inspired writers of the Bible to be superior to anything written in the Bible, and they want the description of the results of that Spirit which are listed in the Bible to be the standard for determining whether anything (in the Bible or not) is OF that Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.