Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,283,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I didn't know the Intelligen Design people believed in evolution.
I'd guess that's because you don't know the difference between the two things even though it's been explained a zillion times.
And right here among your fellow Christians that do believe your god did the initial creating, they have no problem with evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,015,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'd guess that's because you don't know the difference between the two things even though it's been explained a zillion times.
And right here among your fellow Christians that do believe your god did the initial creating, they have no problem with evolution.
Oh, that proves everything.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,476,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I didn't know the Intelligen Design people believed in evolution.
Yes, Micro evolution as evolution within a Kind and not Macro Evolution which is evolution from one Kind to another. Micro evolution occurs all the time as we see in the variety of animals we have around us. Man can even cause it in controlled breeding such as the Dachshund and Great Dane, neither of which existed at one time, but both are "dogs".

Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 AM

16,845 posts, read 5,046,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I gave the name of his book in English though it is only available in German. Facts are what is important not what some believe. He gave the facts and more and more Biologists and geneticists see it as well. It eliminates Evolution from the equation. Hard for believers in the Evolution faith to accept, but pure science.

Unser Haushund: Eine Spitzmaus im Wolfspelz?: Oder beweisen die Hunderassen, dass der Mensch von Bakterien abstammt?: Amazon.de: Wolf-Ekkehard Lönnig: Bücher

He has written several books on genetics and evolution.
It's still only one man who references knowncranks. It also ignores the many more scientists demonstrating through pure science the validity of evolution, rather than the faith of the creationists who only post links to papers they have never read.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 AM

16,845 posts, read 5,046,972 times
Quote:
If you are a biologist you would KNOW the problems including the change from a tail that moves sideways to one that moves up and down, which would require major changes in the skeleton and nerves, brain, etc.Each change would require huge changes in the entire body,skeleton, musculature, nervous system, brain, stomach and digestive track and literally every cell in the bodies.
Yes, for a miracle, it would require huge changes. But we're talking about evolution.

Quote:
Any slight misstep would doom the changed animal to death

And if it gave it an advantage? You were so close to understanding evolution, and then shied away.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,393,951 times
Quote:
Yes, Micro evolution as evolution within a Kind and not Macro Evolution which is evolution from one Kind to another.
Nope, again that is not an accurate description of what evolution actually is or claims. "Kind" is an arbitrary classification procedure humans engage in. It has little to do with what evolution actually is, or what Evolution Theory actually claims.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:09 PM

1,422 posts, read 955,141 times
Quote:
Hi,

A step at a time.

DNA proves non ID evolution is a fantasy. DNA shows structure and design that requires a designer. That is the first step.

Then it comes to identifying the designer. That is the next step.
Since it takes scientific method in step one, it follows that at the very least, the designer is a scientist of some sort.

It gets complicated...

Old 04-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Plus, because of Scripture we can know the mind of Christ - 1st Cor. 2:16 - who explains God for us.
Well...it is an explanation of one idea of god as explained. Bearing in mind the weird nature of this idea of god, we now have a 'wacky male scientist' who creates critters and then demands those critters acknowledge his supreme wonderfulness and when they stray (through tempta...scientific experiments set up by Prof. Wacko) woe betide you critters of iniquity! Something is amiss...

...it gets complicated...

Old 04-17-2015, 04:29 PM

64,022 posts, read 40,325,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
As for evolution - I don't care if it is true or not. It doesn't affect my faith in Christ one way or another. I'm inclined to believe in a very old earth considering the dinosaurs and the really ancient things uncovered by archaeologists. God is at times referred to as "The Ancient of Days" -- he's really old! I find it cumbersome that people get so worked up over these issues on both sides. My first impression of God that came to me when I was really young (a toddler) --- 'GOD IS'. It made me tremble and it was just between me and God - not from any adult teaching me anything. Life is so miraculous that if people were spiritually awake, they would be continually amazed by the fact that WE ARE ALIVE and SENTIENT BEINGS. That is quite incredible. Consciousness, thoughtfulness, mindfulness, intelligence is enough to make me feel a sense of extreme awe. Looking at nature also does that to me. The whole earth is full of life and the glory of God. No scientist can explain how the miracle of life and Creation can be and it seems arrogant to me for people to act like they, the creature, are more intellectual than the Source of Life. And LOVE - that is the most important thing.
Well said, sister!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Almost perfect snow. Let science give us the understanding of what is going on. "no-nothing" does match any known observations. Neil, Carl, Witten, all see it too. Leave religion out. its for one-O-fivers. You say "no scientist knows". I would say nobody knows. I don't do feeling because we all have them and that cancels out to me. You say "love", I say you can't have "love" without "hate". I am not sure of that take but I will listen to any perspective on it.
Lastly. I ask this question all the time "what notion fits between "no nothing" and "omni-thing"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I'm sorry, but I really can't understand what you are trying to communicate to me with this. I tried, but it is over my head.
Not over your head, Heartsong. It IS largely incoherent. I attribute much of it to transliteration from thoughts expressible in one language or idiom not making sense in another language.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

What word or notion would fit what we see and make fundie atheist and militant theist each partly right. It doesn't make sense that either of them have it all wrong. That many people just aren't that stupid. So what notion could we use to describe the universe?
The notion I have at present is that it is an illogical place and when consciousness is within it, it is an irrational place. Both notions come from the fact of consciousness existing.

I mean sure, all those pretty sparkly lights and all those scary dark places are very enticing to a great ape type consciousness...but wtf?

Last edited by Rotagivan; 04-17-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity