Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM

667 posts, read 2,303,582 times

Advertisements

People of solid, anchored faith in God & our best friend, Jesus, I'm seeking opinions & even expressions.
Here's the deal: 2009, learned how to include myself in prayer. Started praying to own a house (was VERY specific!) & continued this prayer. 2011, life became rather busy & rocky. Prayers about this fantasy home stopped. By mid-2012 I was in so much emotional distress (crushed dreams, failing marriage, soul-sucking job, etc). Feb2013, rental lease was expired in our townhouse, rentals were sparse in the town we lived in, my husband unexcitedly took us to look at a property rental out in the country. This is where things start to get interesting
Our marriage was uncomfortably close to being torn apart. But when we pulled up to this rinky-dink little country home, I instanstly knew God's hand was at work! Small, needed work, lots of land for farm animals, a barn with 3 horse stalls, pine tree lined, on an intersection of dirt road for my kids to play, gorgeous view of the mountains, some mature trees! ALL of the specifics of my fantasy home prayer! It looked as deserted as I felt. My only reaction I could muster in that moment was, "oh thank You Father." I knew in my heart that we were here to heal our marriage, our family, to heal as individuals & to grow. Praise God!
After talking with realtor, come to find out, it's not a rental but a lease purchase! Then, I find out that the realtor who'd be writing up contracts was a customer of mine that I'd had the pleasure of working with off & on for several years & we had an awesome report. Holy moly, blessing after blessing.
The woman selling the property, we'll call her CG, seemed like a wonderful one to work with. She promised to help us with debt consolidation & with future loan processing. Both being areas of professional expertise for her & areas of ignorance for my husband & I! Perfect fit, right?
March2013, Lease Purchase contract signed, as well as a Rental Agreement until we closed on escrow. The contracts would last for 2yrs & extended with CG's agreement, though we were all hopeful for less than 2yrs 'til ownership.
June2014, we've been in our house for a little over a year & life has improved tremendously! Marriage has mended & blossomed, children have newfound happiness, our family unit is delightful.
I was sought out by a Hippotherapy School (horses that help with autistic & children with mobility disorders) to take 2 of their older mares, just thru the hot summer months, at their expense. Heck yea! Free horses?! So, my husband got CG's verbal permission & requested written notice to allow horses onto this Zoned Horse Property for 4-5mos. CG agreed yay!
July2015, we received a notice of eviction for material breech of contract & a late fee that wasn't paid in March. That same month, a representative of a bank informed me that the house could be going into forclosure. Hmmm.... I did my homework on state laws & after receiving summons for Small Claims, I knew CG wouldn't win the eviction & she didn't.
Well, that relationship was ruined for no reason & awfully quick :/ What else was she brewing against us & WHY?! Prayer & faith. Terrible feeling to be attacked by someone who you thought you friendly with & they hold the keys to something you love. My Father is greater, though.
Feb & March2015, no hope of first time homebuyers loan. They sure do make it tough. The debt consolidation & help with loans promises given by CG were false. Time is up. What now? We signed a month to month rental agreement & CG sent another eviction notice Apr1.
Good intentions, solid effort, thousands of dollars lost. Hey, it paid for CG's college continuance at least someone benefited, I guess. But now we must find somewhere else so live Thankfully our friends own a 2acre property with a single-wide trailer. The trailer has no floors, no water source, had dead skunks in it, overgrown by weeds, just eww. Spit shine, let's get to polishing this turd! We have 30 days to flip it!
Sadly, while putting money into having another place to live, we haven't yet been able to pay April's rent. Well, now we have another court date, this coming Tues28. CG is doing all she can to take us for what we're worth, after profiting handsomely off of us & honestly, not fulfilling her promises & even state law in a few mild areas.
After many tears, much stress & just straight up confusion, I havent known until today what to do about this. Of course, I turned to biblical advice & guidance. What instantly came to attention was 1Corinthians, Paul's wisdom & Matthew 5:40, in particular. "If a man will sue you at law to take away your coat, let him have your cloak as well." Straight from Jesus' mouth!
My gut instinct was to counter sue. I have a few legs to stand on. But I cannot afford a lawyer, I can barely afford anything. But that's not the point. The point is that Jesus didn't tell us to go to court & fight. He tells us to turn the other cheek, to walk 2miles instead of 1, to accept gladly the suffers from wrongdoings & that give everything to man if he wants it that bad, cuz that's the right spirit... even if you're poor. God's our provider anyways!
With all that being said, CG is suing me & my husband for $1362 plus damages (whatever in the world she means by that!) & my Answer submitted to the court will admit that that amount of money is owed, plus we'd like to pay an additional $1362. Attached to the Answer will be the Scripture in Matthew & 1Corinthians that gave us guidance to this seemingly radical decision.
I don't have the funds to afford the first $1362, much less a second! Lol but what I do have is faith that my Father doesn't lie, He is our Provider & when we step out in faith claiming life in our situations, Glory to God!
Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM

45,755 posts, read 27,396,478 times
It sounds like you shorted yourself. Your prayer was to own a house, yet you accepted a lease agreement.

The relationship with CG started out as a blessing, but it is not the case now. You have to move out of the place that was once considered a blessing.

Having gone through tough situations - if you ever ask God for something as you did, don't short cut what you ask for. God knows exactly what you want, and when He provides it, all of the boxes will be checked - ownership, affordability, location, etc.

As far as your current situation - if you can settle out of court with CG and save yourself the court fees, do it - unless CG is just totally breaking the law. If you owe money, make arrangements and pay in accordance with your budget. That's biblical. I guess I consider court like surgery - avoid it if you can.

Just continue to grow more towards Him regardless of the situation. Know that He promises to take care of the needs of His children by faith. God bless you, the family, and your situation...

Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 AM

667 posts, read 2,303,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It sounds like you shorted yourself. Your prayer was to own a house, yet you accepted a lease agreement.

The relationship with CG started out as a blessing, but it is not the case now. You have to move out of the place that was once considered a blessing.

Having gone through tough situations - if you ever ask God for something as you did, don't short cut what you ask for. God knows exactly what you want, and when He provides it, all of the boxes will be checked - ownership, affordability, location, etc.

As far as your current situation - if you can settle out of court with CG and save yourself the court fees, do it - unless CG is just totally breaking the law. If you owe money, make arrangements and pay in accordance with your budget. That's biblical. I guess I consider court like surgery - avoid it if you can.

Just continue to grow more towards Him regardless of the situation. Know that He promises to take care of the needs of His children by faith. God bless you, the family, and your situation...
I don't feel like we shorted ourselves. The relationship with CG did start out as a blessing, and the house as well. God has taught me this: the Lord know our desires & that we all have needs. If I have to fight in a manner that is against the Word, then chances are what I'm fighting for isn't meant for me. Or i wouldn't be fighting for it. Don't get me wrong, I think we must do our part & be diligent in seeking His will for our lives...daily But honestly, I know He's not done yet with this mess.
Of course, thie passage I wrote is the short version, but a tidbit that's exposed itself a few times since "this" started getting all sloppy is GOD WILL USE THIS TO BE GLORIFIED I'm so thankful for that kind of hope & encouragement! It's that kind of love & the forgiveness we are able to give others that makes being a follower of Jesus Christ SO powerful.
Maybe right now we look shorted, but I really believe there's more at work than we can see at this point

Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM

45,755 posts, read 27,396,478 times
With reference to shorted - I was referring to ownership versus leasing. Meaning that it may have been better to wait for exactly what you were asking (owning a house) for instead of accepting a lease agreement... and because you shorted yourself, things that seemed at first to be blessing are biting you now. It's happened to me and my wife in the past - I guess that's why I see it that way.

But I agree that God can use anything for His good... and if through your situation God gets glory, and you can share that with others - that's ultimately what He wants.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM

18,524 posts, read 9,213,463 times
Magical Thinking has real-world consequences.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 PM

10,098 posts, read 5,764,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Magical Thinking has real-world consequences.
The post was address to people of faith. Can't you show some respect?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The post was address to people of faith. Can't you show some respect?
Magical thinking hurts people. Encouraging and affirming magical thinking hurts people. If I didn't care, I would have kept silent.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:34 PM

10,098 posts, read 5,764,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Magical thinking hurts people. Encouraging and affirming magical thinking hurts people. If I didn't care, I would have kept silent.
And you haven't proven that faith in Christ is only figments of our imagination. I've seen that "magical thinking" rescue people immediately from drug addiction. What could you offer them?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,273,054 times
The part about the trailer and flipping it was a little unclear. If you're in the desert part of AZ I really hope you aren't planning on living in a place without water (does it have power?) during the summer when it hits 110, and above, for weeks at a time.

It can be done. People did it during the Depression. The Navajos do it. I hope you're hearty.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And you haven't proven that faith in Christ is only figments of our imagination. I've seen that "magical thinking" rescue people immediately from drug addiction. What could you offer them?
Beliefs can change a person (for better or for worse), even if those beliefs are fundamentally false. The placebo effect is a textbook example. But that's another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity