Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 PM

260 posts, read 230,753 times

Advertisements

Look carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Whew!! that was a long rambling one, wasn't it!!!! Makes you wonder just what kind of god Moses was talking about.

I looked it up in one of our reference books. That particular author calls it A Song For The People To Sing. I guess, that like a lot of songs, it tends to go overboard a little.

I guess I missed your point about what might have been "fishy" about the chapter. Sorry. I don't read the OT too well. It's so often too rambling and disjointed. I get to wondering how it could have been meant in the original language, and then, what could be done to make it more meaningful for today. The OT is not my favorite reading material.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Whew!! that was a long rambling one, wasn't it!!!! Makes you wonder just what kind of god Moses was talking about.

I looked it up in one of our reference books. That particular author calls it A Song For The People To Sing. I guess, that like a lot of songs, it tends to go overboard a little.

I guess I missed your point about what might have been "fishy" about the chapter. Sorry. I don't read the OT too well. It's so often too rambling and disjointed. I get to wondering how it could have been meant in the original language, and then, what could be done to make it more meaningful for today. The OT is not my favorite reading material.
Yes it sure is. Unlike you, the OT was always a good read for me. The stories in are interesting to say the least.

In any event, there are a couple of verses in that chapter that speaks volumes, but often overlooked.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

I'm actually interested in seeing Alpha in here since he says that 'every' argument against his faith has been presented here and he has heard them all. Maybe he has, but I hope he does not cheat by using Google. LOL!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
I'm actually interested in seeing Alpha in here since he says that 'every' argument against his faith has been presented here and he has heard them all. Maybe he has, but I hope he does not cheat by using Google. LOL!!!
LOL

I'm here. I'm virtually always here. And I've read Dt 32.

I won't cheat and use google (yet), so fire away.

Your OP was so short, it almost got deleted.

I know you don't ask any questions to try and understand or comprehend, your sole purpose is to drop seeds of unbelief. I'm not one to take that bait and so I'm really just interested in those that respond to your posts.

But anyway, there's truly something about you I can identify with so if you wanna actually talk about something, share it.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
LOL

I know you don't ask any questions to try and understand or comprehend...
This might surprise you, but actually I do. When you say 'understand,' you mean as in "accept the common Christan understanding even if not thought through in objective terms" or 'understand' as in careful, honest, critical analysis?

Quote:
...your sole purpose is to drop seeds of unbelief.
If unbelief results from careful analysis of the scriptures, is that a bad thing if the story is actually broken down on a level to be understood? That's like me proving to my grandmother that "jumbies" (ghosts) do not really live in the mango tree in the backyard just because she hears some ruffling and she objects that I am trying to drop seeds of unbelief.

Quote:
I'm not one to take that bait and so I'm really just interested in those that respond to your posts.
That's cool Alpha. Feel free to enjoy watching the people who enjoy watching the show.

Quote:
But anyway, there's truly something about you I can identify with so if you wanna actually talk about something, share it.
Thank you!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Uh.

What I meant to say and apparently failed was:

If there's something you actually want to talk about regarding Dt 32, then share it.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Quote:
Uh.

What I meant to say and apparently failed was:

If there's something you actually want to talk about regarding Dt 32, then share it.
I have to agree with Alpha. If there is something specific...could you break it down for us. I would love to read your thoughts on the subject. I am by no means a Bible thumper. Sadly, I do not read it often. However, I took the time to read Dt. 32 and actually enjoyed it. I am just a simple woman of Faith. I would love to see some good sparring happen. Usually all we get is "my God and my Bible are real" and "no they aren't"...."yes, they are", "no, they aren't".

Thanks...
weather...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Well, I give up! Of course, I'm not an Old Testament scholar, by any stretch, but I just finished reading the chapter, and I'm not seeing anything fishy, as such, barring the usual round of violence, (verses 25, 41, and 42), that seems to be in so many OT stories. The heading in my Bible calls it, "Mose's song, which setteth forth God's mercy and vengeance". So give, 24/7, you have my curiosity roused, needless to say.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Hey 24/7 could you give us a clue what you think is "Fishy".

Are you talking about: deut 32:12
Torah :12. [So] the Lord guided them alone, and there was no alien deity with Him.
Tanakh JPS 12 HaShem alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with Him.
NIV
12 The LORD alone led him;
no foreign god was with him.
KJV 12So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.

or is it
tanakh jps 21 They have roused Me to jealousy with a no-god; they have provoked Me with their vanities; and I will rouse them to jealousy with a no-people; I will provoke them with a vile nation.
NIV 21 They made me jealous by what is no god
and angered me with their worthless idols.
I will make them envious by those who are not a people;
I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.

Last edited by shibainu; 01-18-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity