Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
I'm surprised people still believe this, as it has been refuted academically and is certainly not accepted by the majority of biblical scholars.
So like the thief, we go straight to heaven aka paradise where there are many rooms?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
In my Universalist heresy, there still is no free pass. One is either worthy to enter the Kingdom of God, or one must go through furthervpurification processes until on does pass muster.
That's "borrowed" from the Catholic purgatory teaching.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold is not true - with regards to eternal life with God.

True - all sin is paid. That's not what gets us to having eternal life.

Someone mentioned this earlier...

Here's the thing about the power bill example - you have to give the OK for someone else to pay your bill. The power company does not give out your account information to other people. With regards to eternal life - Jesus has already stated that He has the money for payment - you have to give Him access to your internal account.
I'm pretty sure anyone can produce an address and pay the bill. No, they can't give out account information but they aren't going to stop someone from giving money!

Old 05-29-2015, 02:16 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold is not true - with regards to eternal life with God.

True - all sin is paid. That's not what gets us to having eternal life.

Someone mentioned this earlier...

Here's the thing about the power bill example - you have to give the OK for someone else to pay your bill. The power company does not give out your account information to other people. With regards to eternal life - Jesus has already stated that He has the money for payment - you have to give Him access to your internal account.
Baloney. He owns the power company.

Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money?........... This is the real issue>>>>> Or are you envious because I am generous?’, and the reason for this >>>>>> “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”(A wonderful UR verse).

Old 05-29-2015, 02:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Universalism is a cowardly, selfish lie spawned from the pit of hell.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The rejection of it is by those who quickly forgot their first love when they walked through the doors of the Christ rejecting churches and were nurtured in the doctrines and traditions of men, passed off as being scriptural. In other words you never had a chance to look at it with an open mind, because it(the mind) became a closed shop upon entrance to a few bible studies.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
So you do believe you can survive hell?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:02 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,980 times
Quote:
Wow...Oh great post Snowball, why don't you put on your Spanish Inquistion Priest costume while your at it? Now lets see how you like it:

Fundamentalism is a fearful, paranoid, closeminded, pharisaical, divisive, and ultimately insane misunderstanding of the bible spawned from bad translation, a ridiculous view of morality and justice, and the desire to scare people into submission and/or belief.

...I might have exaggerated a lot there since not all fundamentalism is equal in illogic or fear, but how does that feel? Oh nevermind, I'm sure you'll just think you're being prosecuted for your beliefs as foretold by whatever endtimes belief you adhere to, but know this: People like you are one of the biggest reasons universalism is becoming popular again.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 05-29-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, Kat . . . but it IS a threat to organized religion that bases its existence of the need to believe what they teach ABOUT Jesus and God . . . to ACCEPT the salvation Christ accomplished for us all. It is a preposterous claim that completely denies that Christ is our Savior . . . and tries to make our Savior what WE ACCEPT. It is the "sales pirch" for membership. Let's be realistic . . . what role is there for membership in a religion if we are already saved by Christ?

Of course the real answer is fellowship and the sharing of the agape love of Christ . . . where three or more are gathered in His name. But that is not seen as adequate . . . so the "stick" of Hell is thrown into the mix in addition to requiring ACCEPTANCE of their beliefs ABOUT Christ. It is typical human perversity . . . the result of human vanity and hubris..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
Think of it this way:
In order to be saved, we need to believe Christ is the messiah and that what he said and did was true. If we don't believe Christ is who he says he is, what good is his sacrifice on the cross to me, or anyone else? If don't think I need a savior, it doesn't matter to me if some guy said he's God's son and died in atonement for my sins. At that point, I'm satisfied with working my own way into heaven and Christ is pointless.
Think of it this way:

WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING SAVED! CHRIST DID THAT! IT IS FINISHED. THAT WAS DONE ON THE CROSS FOR ALL OF US.

We have to achieve sanctification under His perfect agape love (Grace) for our imperfections . . . by trying to love God and each other every single day or repent when we don't, period.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:15 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I'm pretty sure anyone can produce an address and pay the bill. No, they can't give out account information but they aren't going to stop someone from giving money!
Try it. Give an address only ... see if they will let you do it... without an account number... without providing the last four of your SSN or some other verification.

Regardless of the analogy...

John 6:29 - Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."

The Holy Spirit must be received through believing in Christ. That's the program GOD put in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity