Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I think he did. "so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

The implication - and you shouldn't need this pointed out - is shaming others and demeaning them using the coals of fire method. Coercing I concede is a strong word for the aspect of talking others into faith ( and what is the point of talking to people already there?).

The thing is that this entire programme recoils. it is the Christian apologist who gets confounded and who then has to cheat, evade and dissemble. And when that is shown up, they are made to look like a hog's brunch. except that they then grab their martyrs' hat and stalk out telling themselves how they'll get their full satisfaction watching their nemesis burn...
Uh, the good behavior is speaking kindly.

The coals of fire are how a kind remark causes another who is speaking maliciously (slander) to feel, assuming he/she has a conscience. (Note: in another verse not the one I quoted)

The Christian does not need to cheat, evade or dissemble it is the ones speaking maliciously who do that.

I see nothing in the verses I posted about getting satisfaction from anyone burning and that isn't even in the verses.

NIV 1 Peter 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It appears you and others here have misunderstood the quoted passage. It's not the Christian who does the shaming, but rather the person's conscience, since they spoke maliciously about another person, in error.
Right.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,147,542 times
The big problem with always just ignoring what people do that dont affect you, is that these same people will go an teach others this the way to live and before you know it, you have a society full of people with shoddy morals based on nothing but selfishness.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,147,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why does scripture always rely on SHAMING, DEMEANING and other wise COERCING others to consider god-in-the-box?

Why does god FEAR questions and refuse inquiry?

Test all spririts to know where they come from...yet when we do we are supposed to feel ASHAMED??

Ecclesiastes 12:13 (KJV)
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ecclesiastes 12:13 (KJV)
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

There is NO FEAR in being BOLD and CONFIDENT...

His commandments are TWO-fold---

LOVE GOD, LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR...

Old 06-08-2015, 11:49 AM

121 posts, read 84,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahOrBust994 View Post
In short, when it comes to people, or doctrines and practices held by other groups, how do you decide where the line is for you between "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "all that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."?

For me, I ask myself two questions.
1. Are people besides those actively and freely engaging in this being hurt by it?

2. Are the fundamental human and civil rights of those who are not freely choosing to engage in this (whatever this is) being violated in some way?

If the answer to either of these is yes, then I speak out, then I try to do something about it, but if the answer on both counts is no and I just find it odd, it's not my place to interfere
This is the same guidelines I use.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM

63,884 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
In short, when it comes to people, or doctrines and practices held by other groups, how do you decide where the line is for you between "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "all that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."?
1. Are people besides those actively and freely engaging in this being hurt by it?
2. Are the fundamental human and civil rights of those who are not freely choosing to engage in this (whatever this is) being violated in some way?
If the answer to either of these is yes, then I speak out, then I try to do something about it, but if the answer on both counts is no and I just find it odd, it's not my place to interfere
That is the definition of the Spirit of agape love espoused and demonstrated unambiguously by Christ.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 PM

121 posts, read 84,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The big problem with always just ignoring what people do that dont affect you, is that these same people will go an teach others this the way to live and before you know it, you have a society full of people with shoddy morals based on nothing but selfishness.
We are told not to cast pearls before swine- so the best we can do is try to live our life and pray that we are examples. One can speak against sin but if we are not careful looking at our own sin- we will be hypocrites.

It is important to remember this following prayer
O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk.
But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.
Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen.
As well as the publican and pharasee

Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:

I think those are two reasonable questions to ask oneself. For the most part, I believe our convictions should govern how we live and that we can't make spiritual and moral decisions for anyone but ourselves. I also believe that God is far more forgiving of mistakes in doctrine than most people give Him credit for being.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
For here if I hear some error or people condemning or doctrines of lack , or sin in the church or In the world , and it takes any offense , then Holy Spirit will tell here He is not part of This and demons will have authority in so many Words , So I will have to back off and pray for any spirit of the world having any works of the flesh to be taken out , and some time I will ask for forgiveness for people who are in error or sinning in the world , or inviting the devil in the church ..............Other wise for here I will never talk about any of these issues and stay behind the scene and keep in peace with God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity