Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,279,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
As a Christian Universalist I believe that we should warn of the judgments of God and I have always shared that I believe that many will experience hell, but I do not believe that eternal hell is the final destination for those who experience the severe judgments of God. I also don't believe that Gehenna refers to an eternal hell. I believe that many will suffer loss, dishoner, anguish, torment but I also believe that this will result in their eventual subjection that God may dwell in them also. Many will miss out on experiencing eonian life in this age and in the next age, many of the Jewish leaders who were anticipating this. See the difference? God bless.
Again, my question was not answered. Jesus told us to fear someone.

Who?__________

Why do we need to be afraid?____________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,223,400 times
Quote:
Again, my question was not answered. Jesus told us to fear someone.

Who?__________

Why do we need to be afraid?____________

It wasn't? Here is the answer again, Cg81.

"
Young’s Literal Translation

And I say to you, my friends, be not afraid of those killing the body, and after these things are not having anything over to do. But I will show to you, whom you may fear, Fear him who, after the killing, is having authority to cast to the Gehenna; yes, I say to you, Fear ye Him”

Concordant Literal

"Now I am saying to you, My friends, be not afraid of those who are killing the body and after this do not have anything more excessive that they can do
Now I shall be intimating to you of Whom you may be afraid: Be afraid of Him Who, after killing, has authority to be casting into Gehenna. Yea, I am saying to you, of this One be afraid!"

Again,

As a Christian Universalist I believe that we should warn of the judgments of God and I have always shared that I believe that many will experience hell, but I do not believe that eternal hell is the final destination for those who experience the severe judgments of God. I also don't believe that Gehenna refers to an eternal hell. I believe that many will suffer loss, dishoner, anguish, torment but I also believe that this will result in their eventual subjection that God may dwell in them also. See the difference? Many will miss out on experiencing eonian life in this age and in the next age, many of the Jewish leaders who were anticipating this. God bless

Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM

OK, we'll take the questions one at a time to make it easier.

Who is "the one that has authority to cast into Gehenna"?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:03 PM

I believe the explanation is given in the verses

Young’s Literal Translation

And I say to you, my friends, be not afraid of those killing the body, and after these things are not having anything over to do. But I will show to you, whom you may fear, Fear him who, after the killing, is having authority to cast to the Gehenna; yes, I say to you, Fear ye Him”

Concordant Literal

"Now I am saying to you, My friends, be not afraid of those who are killing the body and after this do not have anything more excessive that they can do
Now I shall be intimating to you of Whom you may be afraid: Be afraid of Him Who, after killing, has authority to be casting into Gehenna. Yea, I am saying to you, of this One be afraid!"

Again,

As a Christian Universalist, I believe that we should warn of the judgments of God and I have always shared that I believe that many will experience hell, but I do not believe that eternal hell is the final destination for those who experience the severe judgments of God. I also don't believe that Gehenna refers to an eternal hell. I believe that many will suffer loss, dishoner, anguish, torment but I also believe that this will result in their eventual subjection that God may dwell in them also. See the difference? Many will miss out on experiencing eonian life in this age and in the next age, many of the Jewish leaders who were anticipating this. God bless

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

Shana, you are avoiding the question, and with good reason. It doesn't "fit" with the UR viewpoint of predestination, satan's power, etc.

The one Jesus is speaking of is the devil. Here is a verse that is similar in Matthew:
Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
The reason you didn't answer the question is that it poses several problems. First of all, why would Jesus tell us to "fear" someone, if we had no choice in the matter regarding our destination? In this case, Jesus would be saying "You need to be afraid of this person, but there is nothing you can do." Illogical. No, it is clear that Jesus is warning us to be wary of the devil's tactics.. because he is the one who will lead us to hell.. which implies a choice on our part.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Shana, you are avoiding the question, and with good reason. It doesn't "fit" with the UR viewpoint of predestination, satan's power, etc.

The one Jesus is speaking of is the devil. Here is a verse that is similar in Matthew:
Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
The reason you didn't answer the question is that it poses several problems. First of all, why would Jesus tell us to "fear" someone, if we had no choice in the matter regarding our destination? In this case, Jesus would be saying "You need to be afraid of this person, but there is nothing you can do." Illogical. No, it is clear that Jesus is warning us to be wary of the devil's tactics.. because he is the one who will lead us to hell.. which implies a choice on our
Hi Cg81, I believe that Jesus is referring to Himself or God, not the devil and I thought that was obvious from the scriptures posted. I did not realize that you believe that this refers to the devil. How can the devil cast one into Gehenna? What is Gehenna? You have lost me here, really! I will go back and check out the context here. God bless.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Hi Cg81, I believe that Jesus is referring to Himself or God, not the devil and I thought that was obvious from the scriptures posted. I did not realize that you believe that this refers to the devil. How can the devil cast one into Gehenna? What is Gehenna? You have lost me here, really! I will go back and check out the context here. God bless.
I agree that it could fit either God or the devil.. but the "fear" it is talking about would sooner fit the devil (as wanting to destroy us) rather than God. Either way, tho, it implies that there is a recourse.. Jesus didn't simply tell us to fear something with no way out.

So the question still remains.. why did Jesus say that?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Well, if this does refer to the devil, he may be able to destroy us but I don't believe that it is a permanent situation since Jesus came to abolish the works of the devil. The devil will not have eternal power to destroy someone forever. God may give him the authority to destroy just as He gave him the authority to afflict Job, but God has the ability to restore. I don't believe that evil and its influence will last forever and ever or all would not be subjected to the Lord. There is a way out, I believe, for those individuals to whom Jesus was speaking. They could go the right way or go the hard way and if they went the hard way, they would suffer the consequences. Paul said that it was a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. I just don't see that this is an eternal situation. God bless.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
There is a way out, I believe, for those individuals to whom Jesus was speaking.
Was this "way out" only for the individuals whom Jesus was speaking to, or is there a way out for us today also?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Being cast into Gehenna, I believe referred to a physical situation applicable to the Jewish audience that Jesus was speaking to. I believe that there was a way out for them as far as being cast into Gehenna. I do know that some believe this to be used in the figurative sense also as far as experiencing the judgments/ corrections of God. But for all those who experience the severe judgments of God, I believe that they will eventually be restored to God. The creation/creature is to eventually be delivered from the slavery to corruption and changed into the glorious freedom of the children of God. (Romans 8) All are to be summed up/reunited (Ephesians 1) in Christ, so no I do not believe that whatever hell they experience is an eternal condition. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity