Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times

Advertisements

According to liberal Christianity, what happens to atheists after they die? Is there a heaven for atheists who do enough good works to offset their atheism? Doesn't Jesus say that anyone who doesn't believe in him is condemned (right after John 3:16)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
do you know mine?
I sure do!! You're almost the same kind of sinner as me, but perhaps a few rungs up the ladder from my spiritual condition! So I view you as my better and deserving of more respect.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
According to liberal Christianity, what happens to atheists after they die?
They get a really big surprise when they find out there's free beer in heaven. Those who abstain get to hang out with the fundamentalists who think Jesus turned water into fruit punch. (The fundamentalists get a really big surprise when they find out the Mormons are there.)

Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
According to liberal Christianity, what happens to atheists after they die? Is there a heaven for atheists who do enough good works to offset their atheism? Doesn't Jesus say that anyone who doesn't believe in him is condemned (right after John 3:16)?
I have no idea what other liberals think about afterlife. As an existentialist Christ follower, I don't think about it at all. It's unimportant in terms of serving Jesus NOW. Serving Christ now is the only meaningful life, and is done in joy and gratitude after recognizing my own sin and my need of a Savior, and then treat everyone I meet as a potential recipient of the same grace.

Works are a fruit of spiritual life, not necessarily a path to salvation. But Jesus does appear to respect works a lot more than faith.

And the gospel of John has many interesting stories about Jesus. Yet the personality of Jesus is far different from that of Jesus in the synoptic gospels. We have in John, a portrait of a Christ more fully developed in the budding faith. No doubt He has taken on some Pauline characteristics and has developed speech to refute the gnostic "heresies that had begun to arise. I love many of the stories and cherish them as early testimony of the faith. But they are much further from the historical Jesus.

I do think there may be some sort of separation of "sheep from goats," but it isn't my function to determine that division. God called me to love sheep with or without horns, with or without being the recipient of some head butts.

And Freak, I would' be disappointed in having you as a neighbor---depending of course on what neighborhood we find ourselves in.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
And what will be, will be. What will be should be. And everyone else is a coward (Latin translation below)

Quo erit. Quid futurum sit. Et omnis alia timidus

Old 06-19-2015, 04:33 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
I think liberal Christians would not take it literally. "living Christ" is not totally dependent on langue. Jesus is a perspective, not a "thing". So whoever lives that perspective is him. I actually think no one man can live his perspective totally but I do think a group of people can. Jesus is too liberal for me but that's my problem that I work on every day. I like Washington, Lee, Sherman, and Paine myself.

If you are not living his perspective than you are "condemned" to a life of anger, hate, and despair. Because that is all there is left over. And if you every saw a person living angry very day you know the deep seeded turmoil.

so if you think that sounds reasonable then there is no worries because it is independent of thinking he rose or not. When you can burn a bible with no emotion involved you understand. Actually when you can you'll have no need too. If you think the bible must be taken literally then you are wrong.

besides, no way god don't get a freak on every now an again.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 06-19-2015 at 04:53 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They get a really big surprise when they find out there's free beer in heaven. Those who abstain get to hang out with the fundamentalists who think Jesus turned water into fruit punch. (The fundamentalists get a really big surprise when they find out the Mormons are there.)
Sounds like fun!

Since it's heaven, is there no risk of alcohol dependence?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think liberal Christians would not take it literally. "living Christ" is not totally dependent on langue. Jesus is a perspective, not a "thing". So whoever lives that perspective is him. I actually think no one man can live his perspective totally but I do think a group of people can. Jesus is too liberal for me but that's my problem that I work on every day. I like Washington, Lee, Sherman, and Paine myself.

If you are not living his perspective than you are "condemned" to a life of anger, hate, and despair. Because that is all there is left over. And if you every saw a person living angry very day you know the deep seeded turmoil.

so if you think that sounds reasonable then there is no worries because it is independent of thinking he rose or not. When you can burn a bible with no emotion involved you understand. Actually when you can you'll have no need too. If you think the bible must be taken literally then you are wrong.

besides, no way god don't get a freak on every now an again.
So well put!

Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm no psychic, but I know the spiritual condition of all men. Your posts indicate you believe there is sinless perfection for some. You still aren't acknowledging where you are--at least from anything you post on CD.
I didn't realize I was supposed to acknowledge all of my sinfulness on CD. I'm not sure where you are going with this, but it's funny how this conversation went from me originally stating that you aren't showing agape love, to now being focused on me acknowledging sinfulness.

Let's get back to what I originally said, the reality is this. If you as a believer, have a sin, and you acknowledge the sin but you still continue in that sin without repentance, then it's no longer just sin, it's an iniquity. You have basically acknowledged that you have not been civil, to myself and others on here and you use the excuse that I'm sinful. Well if you're still doing it, and knowingly doing it, then you are not repenting. Taking it a step further, just to show you where you actually are, you decide to try to take the attention off of yourself and onto me because you don't want to deal with your own plank.

Just to be frank with you, you have been very smug with your responses on here. Many of your responses are long-winded and full of anger. I honestly stop reading and responding to your post because it's sickening that someone can be so hypocritical. You go on these ridiculous rants on people and when you are called out, you just say you're sinful and you're working on it. Well how about you work on it instead of harassing people on here?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I didn't realize I was supposed to acknowledge all of my sinfulness on CD. I'm not sure where you are going with this, but it's funny how this conversation went from me originally stating that you aren't showing agape love, to now being focused on me acknowledging sinfulness.

Let's get back to what I originally said, the reality is this. If you as a believer, have a sin, and you acknowledge the sin but you still continue in that sin without repentance, then it's no longer just sin, it's an iniquity. You have basically acknowledged that you have not been civil, to myself and others on here and you use the excuse that I'm sinful. Well if you're still doing it, and knowingly doing it, then you are not repenting. Taking it a step further, just to show you where you actually are, you decide to try to take the attention off of yourself and onto me because you don't want to deal with your own plank.

Just to be frank with you, you have been very smug with your responses on here. Many of your responses are long-winded and full of anger. I honestly stop reading and responding to your post because it's sickening that someone can be so hypocritical. You go on these ridiculous rants on people and when you are called out, you just say you're sinful and you're working on it. Well how about you work on it instead of harassing people on here?
not a requirement. But with all the stones you throw, it leads one to believe you are without sin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity