Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

45,606 posts, read 27,230,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Black churches could take the lead in the culture and forgive offenses from years past.
I said that... in relation to the verses I posted. What's the problem with forgiving past offenses of slavery?

Quote:
So it is the black churches fault? R U SERIOUS?

really? forgive 150 + years of oppression, lynchings, and bigotry? Seems easy enough..NOT

When those who flag the battle flag (stars & bars) extend the olive branch first, then....
I never said it was the black church's fault. What are you reading ??

If anyone claims to be a Christian, it should be part of our DNA to be forgiving of others - since it is on the basis of forgiveness that God chose to send His Son into the world to die for our sins.

And I never said it was supposed to be easy. It was not easy for Christ to suffer as He did either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM

283 posts, read 328,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I said that... in relation to the verses I posted. What's the problem with forgiving past offenses of slavery?

If anyone claims to be a Christian, it should be part of our DNA to be forgiving of others - since it is on the basis of forgiveness that God chose to send His Son into the world to die for our sins.

And I never said it was supposed to be easy. It was not easy for Christ to suffer as He did either.
Yet God wouldnt forgive human beings for not following Christianity to a tee and send them to a place of eternal torture for their "crime"

Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
Yet God wouldnt forgive human beings for not following Christianity to a tee and send them to a place of eternal torture for their "crime"
Actually, He did - in that Jesus was sent for the whole world to come to Him - even though the whole world is full of sinners. He didn't have to do that.

The guy that shot up the church - he could truly come to faith today and His sins would be forgiven and he would be in the family of God. Now it would take me some time to accept that - and I would have to see some fruit in his behavior to believe it, but I don't run things.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Actually, He did - in that Jesus was sent for the whole world to come to Him - even though the whole world is full of sinners. He didn't have to do that.

The guy that shot up the church - he could truly come to faith today and His sins would be forgiven and he would be in the family of God. Now it would take me some time to accept that - and I would have to see some fruit in his behavior to believe it, but I don't run things.
Meanwhile, someone who lives a good life but isn't a Christian dies and gets eternal torture.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,995,364 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, someone who lives a good life but isn't a Christian dies and gets eternal torture.
But you're a Christian, right? So why don't you ask God that is so. We can't answer a question that he can answer for you.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
Quote:

Maybe because so many people STILL treat African Americans as if they are SLAVES? The recent shooting is a perfect example of this mindset...

Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
"good" is a relative term in this case

God is holy and in Him is no sin. He has provided the means for all people to avoid the eternal torture - which He did not have to do. One has to do nothing but believe the message of the gospel. What else do you want Him to do? His nature will not allow Him to be in the presence of sin. So He can't let people in His presence as they are. They need to be transformed - and God has set it so that when one believes the gospel message, they are changed internally in their spirit to be in His presence.

What else is He supposed to do?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Maybe because so many people STILL treat African Americans as if they are SLAVES? The recent shooting is a perfect example of this mindset...
No - yesterday was criminal activity - not slavery. Slavery was not his problem.

Whatever the case may be - Christians should fear and follow God, and not man.

Look - is Christianity just something you just toss aside when it's not convenient - or do you live it out in the real world regardless of the circumstances?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
"good" is a relative term in this case

God is holy and in Him is no sin. He has provided the means for all people to avoid the eternal torture - which He did not have to do. One has to do nothing but believe the message of the gospel. What else do you want Him to do? His nature will not allow Him to be in the presence of sin. So He can't let people in His presence as they are. They need to be transformed - and God has set it so that when one believes the gospel message, they are changed internally in their spirit to be in His presence.

What else is He supposed to do?
Why is eternal torture an option to begin with? That alone shows a lack of forgiveness

Why cant believers just get eternal life and non believers just experience nothingness?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Why is eternal torture an option to begin with? That alone shows a lack of forgiveness

Why cant believers just get eternal life and non believers just experience nothingness?
The system is set up as it is. You can whine and complain, but it won't serve you at all.

God has provided a way of escape for everyone who will take it through faith in the gospel. That's God's olive branch of forgiveness. It's not His fault if people reject it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity