Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,977,929 times

Advertisements

Many are calling this an act that will cause God to finally bring his wrath down on America and start the Tribulation and end times.

I would like to take a different perspective and say that perhaps this decision proves that God doesn't intervene in human decisions. Further, this decision likely proves that as the years roll by and absolutely nothing cataclysmic happens the USA and/or the world, Christians will finally start recognizing that deism trumps Christianity and always has. Deism is the belief that God exists but he does not intervene in human affairs.

Stop and think about it: Jesus said "If You ask the Father for anything in my name he will grant it". How many millions of Christians all across the nation were praying that the SCOTUS would vote down this law? Well, 78% of Americans identify as Christian and let's say half are conservative---that would make roughly 124 million prayers being sent to God in Jesus name that the SC would vote the opposite of what it did.

The question is: why didn't God answer 124 million prayers that were sent up to the Father in Jesus name? I want people to think about that question carefully:

Why didn't God answer 124 million prayers that were sent up to the Father in Jesus name?

So then three issues get raised by this landmark decision:

1. Has God abandoned the USA? Given her up to her sin?
2. Is God readying to smite the USA Old Testament style?
3. Does God really give a damn what people and nations do with their free wills?

I would say the answer to all three questions is a resounding, "NO!"

Conservative tea-partiers are now looking for doom to fall on the USA, like Yellowstone finally blowing it's top and fire and hail raining down from heaven or something. I can assure them that life will go on as usual except that gays will now be allowed to marry in all 50 states. Canada likely will follow suit very soon. A year from now gay marriage being the law of the land will not even raise eyebrows as people continue to busy themselves struggling to pay their bills.

The bigger question is: does God really care? Has he ever really cared? Again, I would say, "No, he's never really cared if two gays sleep together. Our whole belief system about homosexuality in this country comes from a few paltry verses out of the Old Testament. Likely the Old Testament will go the way of the dodo in time and as millions of gays start marrying everywhere in the US ordinary everyday Americans will start to recognize that Christianity, once a ferocious lion in its strength and influence, has been turned into a toothless old pussycat and as they ask the question, "Why, Lord? After all the prayers we sent up to you in Jesus name, why did you not hear us? Why did you not honor your word that anything we asked in Jesus' name you would grant, why didn't you grant our Godly request to stop men from being allowed to sin on such a gigantic scale by legally marrying and sleeping together?"

And when it becomes startling clear to these ordinary everyday Americans that prayer doesn't work and never has they will make the decision to break with Christianity and move to something else---a belief system that makes much more sense to them than Christianity.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 06-26-2015 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,103,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Many are calling this an act that will cause God to finally bring his wrath down on America and start the Tribulation and end times.

I would like to take a different perspective and say that perhaps this decision proves that God doesn't intervene in human decisions. Further, this decision likely proves that as the years roll by and absolutely nothing cataclysmic happens the USA and/or the world, Christians will finally start recognizing that deism trumps Christianity and always has. Deism is the belief that God exists but he does not intervene in human affairs.

Stop and think about it: Jesus said "If You ask the Father for anything in my name he will grant it". How many millions of Christians all across the nation were praying that the SCOTUS would vote down this law? Well, 78% of Americans identify as Christian and let's say half are conservative---that would make roughly 124 million prayers being sent to God in Jesus name that the SC would vote the opposite of what it did.

The question is: why didn't God answer 124 million prayers that were sent up to the Father in Jesus name? I want people to think about that question carefully:

Why didn't God answer 124 million prayers that were sent up to the Father in Jesus name?

3. Does God really give a damn what people and nations do with their free wills?

Conservative tea-partiers are now looking for doom to fall on the USA, like Yellowstone finally blowing it's top and fire and hail raining down from heaven or something. I can assure them that life will go on as usual except that gays will now be allowed to marry in all 50 states. Canada likely will follow suit very soon. A year from now gay marriage being the law of the land will not even raise eyebrows as people continue to busy themselves struggling to pay their bills.

The bigger question is: does God really care? Has he ever really cared? Again, I would say, "No, he's never really cared if two gays sleep together. Our whole belief system about homosexuality in this country comes from a few paltry verses out of the Old Testament. Likely the Old Testament will go the way of the dodo in time and as millions of gays start marrying everywhere in the US ordinary everyday Americans will start to recognize that Christianity, once a ferocious lion in its strength and influence, has been turned into a toothless old pussycat and as they ask the question, "Why, Lord? After all the prayers we sent up to you in Jesus name, why did you not hear us? Why did you not honor your word that anything we asked in Jesus' name you would grant, why didn't you grant our Godly request to stop men from being allowed to sin on such a gigantic scale by legally marrying and sleeping together?"

And when the answer becomes startling clear to these ordinary everyday Americans, they will make the decision to break with Christianity and move to something else---a belief system that makes much more sense to them than Christianity.
You're angry...

Old 06-26-2015, 10:20 PM

18,520 posts, read 9,203,092 times
It's an interesting thought. Some Christians might just get even crazier. Some might suffer enough cognitive dissonance to become atheists or agnostics. Others might find their way to liberal Christianity.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,255,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's an interesting thought. Some Christians might just get even crazier. Some might suffer enough cognitive dissonance to become atheists or agnostics. Others might find their way to liberal Christianity.
Any of those paths offers more in the way of truth and reason than fundamentalism - well, except for the getting-crazier path....

Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,257,596 times
Yes, because in 2,000 years governments haven't made immoral actions legal until today.

Yeah, totally the end of Christianity.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,977,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You're angry...
Me?

No, couldn't care less about the decision.

But I do care about people waking up to the fact that God doesn't answer prayer, and that when they finally realize this they will look for something far more sensible than Christianity to believe in.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 PM

45,727 posts, read 27,348,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

1- No... Yes.

2- IDK

3- Yes.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:02 AM

9,699 posts, read 10,053,685 times
No final nail here as Jesus and His covenant followers will reign forever ,.......... See all this supreme court decision does is invite more devil in the earth to manipulate people to sin .......Christianity does not like more devils in the earth making people poor and inflicting ill health and inhibiting the gospel of Christ to flourish

Old 06-27-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Or true Judaism, the source of Christianity...

Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
No final nail here as Jesus and His covenant followers will reign forever ,.......... See all this supreme court decision does is invite more devil in the earth to manipulate people to sin .......Christianity does not like more devils in the earth making people poor and inflicting ill health and inhibiting the gospel of Christ to flourish
You a potential Devil...I am a potential Devil...We all are potential Devils...Devil is the English translation of the Greek word which simply means slanderer...When you understand that, you will start to understand man's mission in the universe and his responsibilities...You will start to understand the difference between Yetzer HaRa (bad inclination) and Yetzer HaTov (good inclination) and that it is man's responsibility to choose which he follows, that the more you follow your Yetzer HaRa, the worse a person you become, and the more you follow your Yetzer HaTov, the better a person you become, and when you are focused on your Yetzer HaRa, then Yetzer HaTov can have no hold on you, this is what in Christianity by "resist the Devil and he will flee"...You will start to understand G-d and His relationship to man and man's relationship to Him...All we do when we personify the Devil, Satan, etal., and give them power that is equal to G-d is create for ourselves other gods and just something to point our fingers at and say, "He made me do it, it isn't my fault."...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity