Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,216,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
The sum total of the law is to love God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind (Matthew 22:37–40). But let me ask you this: Has anybody ever been able to love the Lord with all his heart, all his soul and all his mind?

The answer is obvious.

Not a single person has been able to do that. And God knew all the while that under the law, no one could love Him that perfectly. So do you know what He did? He sent His Son Jesus. When He did that, He was effectively saying this to us: “I know that you can’t love Me perfectly, so watch Me now. I will love you with all My heart, all My soul, all My mind and all My strength.” And He stretched His arms wide and died for us!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 AM

45,768 posts, read 27,415,967 times
I taught this section last week.

Love is not all about being happy and emotionally secure. It is costly. It is sacrificial. It is not always happy. But it's motive always has the other's best interest at heart.

The Father's love was displayed in sending His Son to die for us. Equally impressive is Christ, knowing what the plan was that was set before Him, knowing the pain He would have to endure, chose to follow the plan through completely without fault. That is love at a level I will never achieve.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,312,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The sum total of the law is to love God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind (Matthew 22:37–40). But let me ask you this: Has anybody ever been able to love the Lord with all his heart, all his soul and all his mind?

The answer is obvious.

Not a single person has been able to do that. And God knew all the while that under the law, no one could love Him that perfectly. So do you know what He did? He sent His Son Jesus. When He did that, He was effectively saying this to us: “I know that you can’t love Me perfectly, so watch Me now. I will love you with all My heart, all My soul, all My mind and all My strength.” And He stretched His arms wide and died for us!

Thoughts?
May I be so bold as to as for proof? Where does it say God told us to do something, then God turned around and said-OH, you mere mortals will never be able to do that, but I get a really good laugh from watching y'all try..

And God said to love him with ALL our mind, heart and strength. Where did God say that was the equation for perfection?

In Roman occupied territories, the one sure-fire way to get hung from a cross was to be seen as a threat to those in power.
Jesus knew what he was doing. He knew he would be seen as a threat. He knew where it would lead (the cross). I’d even argue he’d known for a while what he was going to do and where it was likely to lead. Three different times before entering the temple, Jesus predicted that he would be given the death penalty, capital punishment, death by crucifixion.
“No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
“Why did Jesus die on a cross?”

Jesus died on the cross because he offended those in power.

Jesus died on a cross because he challenged the status quo.

Jesus died on a cross because love would not sit silently by as those who had little were being stepped on, used, and abused by those who had so very much.

Jesus died on a cross to show us what love looks like in action.

Sin is any action which separates us from God. The actions that separate us from God are unloving actions. Jesus came to teach us that the Law was designed to help us avoid those kinds of unloving actions.

God did not Kill Jesus for Our Sins.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,529,924 times
That is why it is not optional for Jesus to be anything other than our sacrificial substitute from sin.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
May I be so bold as to as for proof? Where does it say God told us to do something, then God turned around and said-OH, you mere mortals will never be able to do that, but I get a really good laugh from watching y'all try..

And God said to love him with ALL our mind, heart and strength. Where did God say that was the equation for perfection?

In Roman occupied territories, the one sure-fire way to get hung from a cross was to be seen as a threat to those in power.
Jesus knew what he was doing. He knew he would be seen as a threat. He knew where it would lead (the cross). I’d even argue he’d known for a while what he was going to do and where it was likely to lead. Three different times before entering the temple, Jesus predicted that he would be given the death penalty, capital punishment, death by crucifixion.
“No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

Jesus died on the cross because he offended those in power.

Jesus died on a cross because he challenged the status quo.

Jesus died on a cross because love would not sit silently by as those who had little were being stepped on, used, and abused by those who had so very much.

Jesus died on a cross to show us what love looks like in action.

Sin is any action which separates us from God. The actions that separate us from God are unloving actions. Jesus came to teach us that the Law was designed to help us avoid those kinds of unloving actions.

God did not Kill Jesus for Our Sins.
Everyone parrots 1 John 4:8. But then they reject verses 9 and 10.

Your position on Christ's death is noted.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,216,123 times
I responded at lunch on my phone, and it never posted...

Jesus died as the final sin offering, "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins". (Heb 10:4)

You can take all human reasoning out, it was God the Father who sent His Son to die out of love for mankind.

Period.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,312,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Everyone parrots 1 John 4:8. But then they reject verses 9 and 10.

Your position on Christ's death is noted.
Great notation..Jesus told me the same thing about how he hung on the cross and the nails that held Him there were the letters L--O--V--E.

No man, government or religion took His life, He laid it down of his own accord out of LOVE.

Then he proclaimed--IT IS FINISHED!

Centuries of sacrifices, altars, stoning, raping, pillaging, plundering and OPPRESSION had finally come to and end--with one act of LOVE, Jesus proclaimed the fulfillment of ALL THE LAWS as spoken of by the prophets.

He then gave the people a mission, saying to the world--

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Great notation..Jesus told me the same thing about how he hung on the cross and the nails that held Him there were the letters L--O--V--E.

No man, government or religion took His life, He laid it down of his own accord out of LOVE.

Then he proclaimed--IT IS FINISHED!

Centuries of sacrifices, altars, stoning, raping, pillaging, plundering and OPPRESSION had finally come to and end--with one act of LOVE, Jesus proclaimed the fulfillment of ALL THE LAWS as spoken of by the prophets.

He then gave the people a mission, saying to the world--

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.
OK... but you cannot remove the sin aspect of His death. If you know anything about the Father (not the Son), you must understand that He hates sin. He cannot be in its presence.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM

9,700 posts, read 10,067,141 times
the demonic spirit of envy manipulated men to kill Jesus . so the celestial beings the devil who was to blame for the sin , so God used this injustice to make Jesus death by the cross a judgment for all who will come , ............Accept Jesus a Saviour , need to Love the Lord , and reject sin and the manipulator of sin the devil and his works for the judgment of the cross to be fulfilled

Old 07-20-2015, 04:50 PM

7,333 posts, read 6,960,726 times
The most importnt expression of love for God is obedience.
Obeience is better than sacrifice.
Jesus demonstrated obedience and provided the Holy Spirit so that those that are actually under Jesus lordship can be obedient.
out side this obedience one can only sin.
Sin= is the absence of obedience to God.
Repentance, is turning from self govern, to God's Govern.
Jesus died on the cross providing this for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity