Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

are you expecting a cracker now or a fortune cookie?
If a fortune cookie is what your seeking, fly then to Jerwade?
Isn't that a copyrighted image?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting. I guess that my question brought up something that you did NOT want to deal with, or did you even understand it? If you had given it any thought and actually responded, you might have realized that ther IS nothing "New" about "The New Commandment," which is essentially the same as "Love your neighbor," EXCEPT for the fact that it isTHE commandment that is foundational to "The New Covenant," and holds the place the 10 held iin "The Old Covenant."

But it is NOT a rule or a Law, it is a principle; THE guiding principle of the Way Jesus taught. NO system of morality is written in stone in the New Covenant and ANY "Law" is subject to examination in the light of that guiding principle. Anti-Christian morality is placing emphasis on derived rules written in ink at the expense of the principle which should drive them. "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."
I focused on the people who were attempting to answer what I had put forth.

You asked a question without any context.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I guess that my question brought up something that you did NOT want to deal with, or did you even understand it? If you had given it any thought and actually responded, you might have realized that ther IS nothing "New" about "The New Commandment," which is essentially the same as "Love your neighbor," EXCEPT for the fact that it isTHE commandment that is foundational to "The New Covenant," and holds the place the 10 held iin "The Old Covenant."

But it is NOT a rule or a Law, it is a principle; THE guiding principle of the Way Jesus taught. NO system of morality is written in stone in the New Covenant and ANY "Law" is subject to examination in the light of that guiding principle. Anti-Christian morality is placing emphasis on derived rules written in ink at the expense of the principle which should drive them. "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."
Just to clarify...

1- I believe I referred to them as rules and principles and did not specify which were which. Don't know why you are complaining on that...

2- The commandments that Jesus gave is Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. Loving God echoes the first 4 commandments. Loving you neighbor covers the last 6... and I left the last one out of my list.

Why did you leave out loving God?

I think we see from the response with which you quoted from on the prior page, that people do not love God... or people think there is no God... so they ignore or totally dismiss "principles" that deal directly with Him.

For me, the entire list is about Him, either directly or indirectly.

The believer, or the Christ follower, should believe that we are made in His image. So the fact that we think murder is wrong, or bribery, or stealing is wrong is because we were created (from an original design perspective) to be God like. That means we have a God-like moral compass in us like no other creatures on the earth. However, sin has corrupted all of us - which led God in His love to send Christ to die, and so on.

Anyway - I have previously explained what I was looking for here.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I focused on the people who were attempting to answer what I had put forth.

You asked a question without any context.
If you were capable of following the reason, you would have seen that it was in context and the only appropriate answer to the concern stated in the OP, " I am trying to distinguish between religious morality and anti-religious morality."

Now that you see the context and the answer, would you care to address the point?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
just that you only despise the Bible with properly understanding of it in favor of conservative's convoluted rhetoric
Third request...

Are you a follower of Christ?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
[/b]

If you were capable of following the reason, you would have seen that it was in context and the only appropriate answer to the concern stated in the OP, " I am trying to distinguish between religious morality and anti-religious morality."

Now that you see the context and the answer, would you care to address the point?
This was your post...

Quote:
Answer one question for me: what's "new" about the "new commandment?"
I didn't mention anything about a new commandment in the OP. There is no reasoning here - just you asking a question out of the blue.

Anyway - response is above.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Interesting. I guess that my question brought up something that you did NOT want to deal with, or did you even understand it?
It's an avoidance coping mechanism.
I see it all the time!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

If a fortune cookie is what your seeking, fly then to Jerwade?
Don't think you're on the right road just because it’s a well-beaten path.
Therefore, go to where there is no path and leave a trail for others to follow.

Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices. ~Albert Einstein.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Third request...

Are you a follower of Christ?
Is this a new survey? Obviously your judgmental mind-in-the-tiny-box has already reached its own conclusion?

I am not here to prove myself to anyone, least of all you. I have very little respect for anyone who rejects the commandment to LOVE your neighbor by arguing God demands they leave the sinners in the gutter and continue in to "church" where they are among "brothers" for whom they do anything, including denying the poor food, the prisoner justice, and the marginalized equality.

When I came on to this forum, I said right up front I FEAR NO MAN'S OPINION and I SERVE NO MAN'S DEMANDS. The same idea applies to any god-in-the-tiny-box many have created to represent their prejudices and bigotry. Those that have ears.....

As for me and my house----feel free to complete the sentence if you have any real sense of humanity and an understanding of who your neighbor really is in the eyes of Christ.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 02:54 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
I have some questions here. I am trying to distinguish between religious morality and anti-religious morality.

All of the bulleted items appear in the Bible. Which of these rules or principles should we adhere to? Which are considered Christian, and therefore religious?

• No Idolatry against God
  • No Murder (pre-meditated, self defense not included)
  • No Adultery
  • No Stealing
  • No False witness (let's say in court)
  • No Taking God's name in vain
  • No Incest
  • No Beastiality
  • No Homosexuality
  • No Pedophilia
  • No Divorce
  • No business on Sundays
  • Accurate weights and measures and standards
  • No Bribrery
  • Death penalty

People obviously agree with no murder - yet it's a biblical principle from God. Yet some rules are rejected, even though the source is the same.

What makes some rules acceptable, and others not acceptable?

I am just asking for opinions - I am not pushing total biblical acceptance (even though I am in the Christian part of the forum... go figure ).
These aren't moral laws at all, only Biblical rules. As we evolve we realize that some of these rules are immoral, while some are not, thus the reason some of these are just plain silly as we see them today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity