Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM

45,642 posts, read 27,250,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
No incest and no pedophilia?
It was never mentioned in the Bible.

I know for sure "No incest" was not written in Bible.
If anything, Mary the mother of Jesus was around 14 years old when she was married to Joseph, who was around 40 years old at that time.

Pedophilia was practiced wildly in the old testament time.
I am not sure what Jesus or Paul said in the new testament. Although I am quite sure nobody wrote something about it.
FYI regarding incest...

Leviticus 20:12 - `If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

Also...

Leviticus 18:7-17
7 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, that is, the nakedness of your mother. She is your mother; you are not to uncover her nakedness. 8 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife; it is your father's nakedness. 9 `The nakedness of your sister, either your father's daughter or your mother's daughter, whether born at home or born outside, their nakedness you shall not uncover. 10 `The nakedness of your son's daughter or your daughter's daughter, their nakedness you shall not uncover; for their nakedness is yours. 11 `The nakedness of your father's wife's daughter, born to your father, she is your sister, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 12 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's sister; she is your father's blood relative. 13 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother's sister, for she is your mother's blood relative. 14 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's brother; you shall not approach his wife, she is your aunt. 15 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter-in-law; she is your son's wife, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 16 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; it is your brother's nakedness. 17 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of a woman and of her daughter, nor shall you take her son's daughter or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; they are blood relatives. It is lewdness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:17 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How do we know God is love - other than just reading those three words? Is it because it is stated, or is it because of something God has done?
It is because the words in the book YOU claim to believe are confirmed by the Spirit mentioned: "16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…"

You really ought to know this, I have been pointing it out to you specifically.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It is because the words in the book YOU claim to believe are confirmed by the Spirit mentioned: "16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.…"

Let me make sure I understand - I should believe that God is love because the book that I believe in says so. I would think that if God is love - surely He would have done more than put words in a book.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,771,128 times
Quote:
FYI regarding incest...

Leviticus 20:12 - `If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

Also...

Leviticus 18:7-17
7 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, that is, the nakedness of your mother. She is your mother; you are not to uncover her nakedness. 8 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife; it is your father's nakedness. 9 `The nakedness of your sister, either your father's daughter or your mother's daughter, whether born at home or born outside, their nakedness you shall not uncover. 10 `The nakedness of your son's daughter or your daughter's daughter, their nakedness you shall not uncover; for their nakedness is yours. 11 `The nakedness of your father's wife's daughter, born to your father, she is your sister, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 12 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's sister; she is your father's blood relative. 13 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother's sister, for she is your mother's blood relative. 14 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's brother; you shall not approach his wife, she is your aunt. 15 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter-in-law; she is your son's wife, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 16 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; it is your brother's nakedness. 17 `You shall not uncover the nakedness of a woman and of her daughter, nor shall you take her son's daughter or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; they are blood relatives. It is lewdness.
Awesome.
Yes I remember reading about this now when I was younger!
I am no longer practicing so I idn't remember!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:28 PM

63,890 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
How do we know God is love - other than just reading those three words? Is it because it is stated, or is it because of something God has done?
Your difficulty arises because you are predominately a carnal-minded thinker. Spiritual-minded thinkers understand that the spiritual has to do with what is in our consciousness. Agape love only exists within consciousness (Spirit). God IS Spirit (consciousness) and His consciousness IS agape love. We are "born of God " when we produce love in our consciousness. All the concern over our physical bodies and physical worldly concerns has nothing to do with God. THAT is what the difference between carnal (physical) and spiritual (consciousness) actually IS.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:31 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,792,133 times
Quote:
Yes - people want what's right in their own eyes. People who don't know God, removed the vertical commandments that directly pertain to God (idolatry, taking God's name in vain). The horizontal commandments that pertain to us on earth can be up for debate pending their importance to the culture.
I am a little afraid you didn't actually read what was written if this is what you came away with...

Only a humanist or otherwise secular moral framework dispenses with the "vertical" type of commandments. There are a whole host of moral frameworks that do contain a religious component that are not Christian. Almost as many as there are religious views in fact.

It isn't a matter of not knowing God, as there a many religious people who do not believe in your concept of God and yet they still have a transcendent or divinely focused component to their morality. And as this thread demonstrates, there are many people who have a Christian morality (that is a morality based in Christian theology and the Bible) that is in some cases diametrically opposed to your version of Christian morality.

The reason I personally do away with the "vertical" commandments is that it has yet to be demonstrated that they actually are "vertical", that is that there is any divine entity that actually exists. In the absence of that, those commands appear to be simply arbitrary cultural and ceremonial requirements, and have little bearing on actual human well-being and happiness. It isn't about preference, wanting to be allowed to sin, being angry at God or any of that nonsense. It is simply that I use a different basis for determining morality that you do. But as I tried to point out, that is not unique to secular or even non-Christian morality.

-NoCapo

Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quick! Is there time to edit? You misspelled "bribery". It's not "bribrery" unless you meant to say "no bilberry", which sin't amoral, far as I know.

haha! I know I misspelt "isn't". Who am I to talk!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Let me make sure I understand - I should believe that God is love because the book that I believe in says so. I would think that if God is love - surely He would have done more than put words in a book.
Try reading what I wrote and actually understanding it. What I said is precisely that God did more than put words in a book (which God did not do in the first place), He confirmed what someone who understood the Spirit said about what Jesus promised.

How in the WORLD do you read plain English and come up with the exact opposite of what was said?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Try reading what I wrote and actually understanding it. What I said is precisely that God did more than put words in a book (which God did not do in the first place), He confirmed what someone who understood the Spirit said about what Jesus promised.

How in the WORLD do you read plain English and come up with the exact opposite of what was said?
So if you go to my question at the top, your answer is - it was stated, and it is confirmed by the Spirit, that God is love.

Hopefully I got your answer right this time.

Basically you are saying that God is love because somebody (biblical author and/or the Holy Spirit) said so.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM

63,890 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your difficulty arises because you are predominately a carnal-minded thinker. Spiritual-minded thinkers understand that the spiritual has to do with what is in our consciousness. Agape love only exists within consciousness (Spirit). God IS Spirit (consciousness) and His consciousness IS agape love. We are "born of God " when we produce love in our consciousness. All the concern over our physical bodies and physical worldly concerns has nothing to do with God. THAT is what the difference between carnal (physical) and spiritual (consciousness) actually IS.
Quote:
So if you go to my question at the top, your answer is - it was stated, and it is confirmed by the Spirit, that God is love.
Hopefully I got your answer right this time.
Basically you are saying that God is love because somebody (biblical author and/or the Holy Spirit) said so.
No . . . because you apparently do NOT believe the New Covenant. God has sent the Comforter (Holy Spirit) in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" . . . NOT in the Bible. The Holy Spirit is NOT a book. It is agape love. Christ abides with us within our consciousness. You apparently do not believe that and do not trust what is in your heart written in agape love. You prefer what is "written in ink."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity