Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 I have very little respect for anyone who rejects the
commandment to LOVE your neighbor by arguing God demands they leave the sinners in the gutter and continue in to "church" where they are among "brothers" for whom they do anything, including denying the poor food, the prisoner justice, and the marginalized equality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I was asking you in order to get a direct answer so I don't have to come to my own conclusion.

The red above... where do you guys pull this stuff from? You have active imaginations.
The answer is obvious: they make it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The answer is obvious: they make it up.
i MADE THIS UP---

I have very little respect for anyone who rejects the
commandment to LOVE your neighbor by arguing God demands they leave the sinners in the gutter and continue in to "church" where they are among "brothers" for whom they do anything, including denying the poor food, the prisoner justice, and the marginalized equality.

This has been posted by several outstanding evangelical fundies--

I do not have to care about my neighbor if they continue to sin

I was never told by Jesus to hang out with sinners, Jesus NEVER did

Only people I have to "love" are thos in the same church as I go to

The poor are only poor because they are either LAZY or lack FAITH

This is the kind of stuff one simply cannot make up...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:19 AM

689 posts, read 549,587 times
Quote:
I have some questions here. I am trying to distinguish between religious morality and anti-religious morality.

All of the bulleted items appear in the Bible. Which of these rules or principles should we adhere to? Which are considered Christian, and therefore religious?

• No Idolatry against God
  • No Murder (pre-meditated, self defense not included)
  • No Adultery
  • No Stealing
  • No False witness (let's say in court)
  • No Taking God's name in vain
  • No Incest
  • No Beastiality
  • No Homosexuality
  • No Pedophilia
  • No Divorce
  • No business on Sundays
  • Accurate weights and measures and standards
  • No Bribrery
  • Death penalty

People obviously agree with no murder - yet it's a biblical principle from God. Yet some rules are rejected, even though the source is the same.

What makes some rules acceptable, and others not acceptable?

I am just asking for opinions - I am not pushing total biblical acceptance (even though I am in the Christian part of the forum... go figure ).
Humans define what is considered acceptable base on human needs within an earthly society.

God defines what is considered acceptable base on humans needs in a future world called heaven.

That's the fundamental difference. Humans made up short-sighted rules because they have no access to what future is.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Have you been able to distinguish the morals of Christians and what you call anti-Christian?

No one has admitted to pedophilia, bestiality, stealing, et-al. Without admission of incest, bribery, or murder, how do you decide?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
i MADE THIS UP---

I have very little respect for anyone who rejects the
Yes.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Distinguishing the Christian Morality from the Anti-Christian Morality

The "distinction" is arbitrary and fatuous.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:08 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Have you been able to distinguish the morals of Christians and what you call anti-Christian?

No one has admitted to pedophilia, bestiality, stealing, et-al. Without admission of incest, bribery, or murder, how do you decide?
Yes - people want what's right in their own eyes. People who don't know God, removed the vertical commandments that directly pertain to God (idolatry, taking God's name in vain). The horizontal commandments that pertain to us on earth can be up for debate pending their importance to the culture.

I bet there are some who want pedophilia or beastiality to be legal - because that's what they want to do. But because they are in the extreme minority, and understand they would be tarred and feathered - they stay in the dark and hide.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:18 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
because it is a given: "Who loves is from God, because God is love."
How do we know God is love - other than just reading those three words? Is it because it is stated, or is it because of something God has done?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Yes - people want what's right in their own eyes. People who don't know God, removed the vertical commandments that directly pertain to God (idolatry, taking God's name in vain). The horizontal commandments that pertain to us on earth can be up for debate pending their importance to the culture.

I bet there are some who want pedophilia or beastiality to be legal - because that's what they want to do. But because they are in the extreme minority, and understand they would be tarred and feathered - they stay in the dark and hide.
You have no admissions of wrong doing. No idolaters, no murderers, no incest. Where is the anti Christian?

The great State of Texas does not have laws against bestiality, yet they have laws restricting other things.
Are they Christian or anti-Christian? Is there a grey area?

Vertical and horizontal commandments? Is that in the bible? I do not recall.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No god no need to have rules against no idolatry or in taking the Lord's name in vsin. Some times a divorce is best for all concerned especially the children. More important to come up with the solution that 8s best for everyone rather than a black and white rule regardless of the circumstances. I see nothing immoral about homosexuality. I do not see the death penalty as moral, and although you did not mention it i also do not see slavery as moral either. I have no problems with stores closed Sundays but do not see that as a moral issue. Besides the Bible does not say Sundays as the day of rest. Adultery is a breach of trust between two spouses and should be dealt with by those two rather than having a church or government involved.

The other morals are more universal and can be found in societies that were not exposed to the Bible. Have you also left out some of the other morality issues that in the Bible that are not as acceptable in today's world as they were in the past? If you did is it to try to show that even non believers base their morals on the Bible? I think it is incorrect when any religion tries to that create for fairly universal standards or morals.
I think false testimony is wrong even not under oath so jot sure why you put the restrictions on it.
No incest and no pedophilia?
It was never mentioned in the Bible.

I know for sure "No incest" was not written in Bible.
If anything, Mary the mother of Jesus was around 14 years old when she was married to Joseph, who was around 40 years old at that time.

Pedophilia was practiced wildly in the old testament time.
I am not sure what Jesus (thru the writings of his disciples or whatnot) or Paul said in the new testament. Although I am quite sure nobody wrote something about it.

There are also some other law in new testament that I found a bit archaic or will esnure everybody is going to hell.
1. Treatment of women. (They are not supposed to have an opinions). I still remember as a child, women pastors are not allowed.
2. Treatment to parents. No talk back, etc. I do not remember where I found it. But when I was a kid I was sure that I would go to hell because I one time had a brawl with my dad because he abused me physically. I threw a vase to him.

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 08-11-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity