Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 PM

18,254 posts, read 16,961,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Unbelievable how people say Paul cannot be trusted.. his word stands as the Word Of God..and wisdom. God knows from beginning to end. God knows every word in his bible..

So true.. I agree completely..Paul would not eat meat as some thought it a sin because the meat was offered to idols.. Paul in his heart knew that there was no other God to offer meat to and felt clean eating it.. there were others who thought it was unclean and thought if they ate it they would commit a sin against God therefore he refrained out of becoming a stumbling block or setting a bad example to those who could not accept meat offered to idols.

Woman were not to ask their husbands what something meant in the church , but to refrain out of respect for order.

Man is to be the head of the household which also entails responsibility. The husband should respect his wife as she is his help mate in all endeavors but he has the ultimate decision to make but holds the responsibility to that decision.
I think most people who have studied Paul without the rose-colored spectacles would notice that Paul was crafty like a fox. He adopted the positions that would best attract people to Christianity. Paul was a washout among the Jews because of the Kosher laws so he turned to the gentiles because they had not been indoctrinated by the Law of Moses. Thus he started referring to himself as "Apostles to the Gentiles" and thus he could tell Gentiles, "No need to be circumcised" which caused the gentile men to breathe a sigh of relief and loosen their grip on their groins; tell them, "Okay to eat meat sacrificed to gods" which allowed them to continue sacrificing to their gods and then consume the meat while saying the Lord's Prayer over it; tell them, "You're not saved by works, but by something insubstantial called faith" which caused the lazy ones to breathe another sigh of relief because they didn't have to stand on a street corner in the Acropolis thumping a Bible and screaming at passers-by to repent. That alone would clinch the deal for most pagan gentiles. Yep, Paul knew what buttered his bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Unbelievable how people say Paul cannot be trusted.. his word stands as the Word Of God..and wisdom. God knows from beginning to end. God knows every word in his bible..

So true.. I agree completely..Paul would not eat meat as some thought it a sin because the meat was offered to idols.. Paul in his heart knew that there was no other God to offer meat to and felt clean eating it.. there were others who thought it was unclean and thought if they ate it they would commit a sin against God therefore he refrained out of becoming a stumbling block or setting a bad example to those who could not accept meat offered to idols.

Woman were not to ask their husbands what something meant in the church , but to refrain out of respect for order.

Man is to be the head of the household which also entails responsibility. The husband should respect his wife as she is his help mate in all endeavors but he has the ultimate decision to make but holds the responsibility to that decision.
People have their agendas and their biases, and often proceed from the standpoint of ignorance. Often they don't like what Paul taught.

Paul was called by Jesus. Some people claim that Paul did not really have an encounter with Jesus on the Damascus road but had an hallucination or suffered a nervous breakdown. But by comparing all three of Paul's statements in Acts regarding that encounter, Acts 9:3-9; 22:6-11; 26:12-18, it is clear that while the men who were with Paul did not see Jesus, they did see the light and heard a voice which they perceived only as a sound which accompanied Paul's encounter with Jesus.

There's also the fact that Luke records that God had spoken with Ananias with regard to Paul's encounter with Jesus (Acts 9:10-19). And Luke most likely interviewed Ananias with regard to that event.

Later, Luke records that the Holy Spirit commanded that Silas and Saul (Paul) be set aside for the work to which He had called them (Acts 13:2).

To say as many do that Paul is a false apostle requires that they disregard these facts. But many who call themselves Christians don't believe the Bible and so it is no surprise that they do disregard them.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Your attempt to make this about me doesn't negate the fact that as was shown, the author of that article you posted is wrong. As are you.

And now you will excuse me since you and your childish rants just don't merit any more time or attention.
:c rying:

Old 08-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Am I not an apostle appointed by Jesus himself to preach to the Gentiles?".

I don't know...Are ya?...I mean this is what you are telling us...I didn't get the memo...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I read it and found absolutely no basis for her claims. Please prove that Luke was just Paul's buddy and lied and that Peter either was fooled or didn't write the books with his name.

Where does she quote ANY apostle rejecting Paul?

You can't face the fact you do not agree with the totality of scripture and ... Paul does.

That means you accept at most 3 gospels and .... maybe John's epistles and Revelation.
Actually, I don't accept any of it...I'm a Jew, so, I'm non-biased, I just go by what I see...Using logic and reason...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
The two statements don't contradict. While recognizing that he was an apostle called by Christ, Paul realized that he was not fit to be an apostle because he had persecuted the Church. It's an expression of humility.

Here you presume to impute your own personal opinion about Paul to others. It is not a factual statement that everyone who has studied Paul and his work concludes that Paul was egomaniacal.

In accusing Paul of lying you are perhaps referring to his comments as recorded in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23. But Paul was not admitting to lying. He was stating his willingness to refrain from using his freedom in Christ in order to accommodate himself in so far as possible without violating the will of God to the practices, customs, and weaknesses of others in order to gain a hearing for what he had to say.

As one example, although Paul knew that he was free to eat meat, he would refrain from doing so if it caused one who was weak to stumble (1 Corinthians 8:1-13).

Your statement that Paul is not to be trusted, that he was delusional and a liar, simply reflects your personal prejudice against Paul, based on a lack of an understanding of the Scriptures, and perhaps by a willingness to believe all the anti-Paul propaganda that resides on the internet as well as on this forum.
Oooh, Twist again, like ya did last po-ost...Oooh, twist again, twisting time is here!...Gotta love Chubby Checker...Hey, can we call you Chubby Mike???...Please???...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You just don't know what you are talking about. (period)
If that makes you sleep better at night, Big Easy...I got thick skin...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Now once again, the first article which was previously posted in post # 12 is by Dr. Wallace and in it he gives the argument for both sides of the issue in an objective manner.

My question is, if Wallace is so good and you recognize this by reading his material and that he is accurate, this means that you two are singing out of the same Hymnal, so why can't you give your own arguments instead of pulling out ol' Wally there?...Obviously if you think providing a link to read is going to convince, then you should be able to do the same convincing without him and links to him...Riiight?...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:

You ain'ta bin at this here long, ha'ya?...

Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Apostles to the Gentiles"
Does this mean he had a Sybil thing going on?...

Quote:
"Okay to eat meat sacrificed to gods" which allowed them to continue sacrificing to their gods and then consume the meat while saying the Lord's Prayer over it.

Which makes you wonder, where would Christians get meat sacrificed to an idol anyway...Are they hanging out in the Pagan temples?...And if it was sacrificed to an idol, how would they come by it?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity