Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM

287 posts, read 327,707 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this so here it is. Yesterday I had an old friend from high school come over for a visit. She brought her new fiance over- a gentleman I had never met. As discussion wore on I was getting the feeling in my gut that I didn't really like this dude. A little too "Tea Party" for me.

I decided to BBQ some chicken for dinner. I went to my local butcher and got chicken (I don't buy grocery store meat- disgusting!) and slappped it on the grill after fixing it up a bit and it cooked to perfection. He complimented me on the grilled chicken, saying that "It's usually so dry- this is perfect" at which point I mentioned that I always buy chicken from the local Middle Eastern butcher and that it was Halal. He asked me what that meant and I told him "basically Muslim Kosher."

Dude had a sh%t fit. SCREAMED at me and dumped his plate on the lawn and said I "poisoned" him. He told my old friend "We're leaving NOW!" and off they went. As he left he was accusing me of serving him a "meal blessed by a false god and supporting terrorists." Wow.

I was floored. This morning my friend called me and apologized. I said "On his behalf too?" Silence. She just said "Well talk about it later" and hung up...

Comments? How do I deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
I do have a few minor problems with Halal products - and Kashrut and any dietary restrictions based on religion. But not major ones and I will eat Halal and Kosher foods. That's just me.

I could suggest that you research what Halal food is and explain to him that it is just the same as any other but is just prepared not to break Quranic law on slaughtering animals. or Check with Woodrow LI who knows everything about this stuff.

If that does not reassure him, because anything prepared according to "Wrong" religions is anathema to him, the only thing you can do is take pains not to bring either Halal food to your barbequeue, or him.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:32 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I do have a few minor problems with Halal products - and Kashrut and any dietary restrictions based on religion. But not major ones and I will eat Halal and Kosher foods. That's just me.

I could suggest that you research what Halal food is and explain to him that it is just the same as any other but is just prepared not to break Quranic law on slaughtering animals. or Check with Woodrow LI who knows everything about this stuff.

If that does not reassure him, because anything prepared according to "Wrong" religions is anathema to him, the only thing you can do is take pains not to bring either Halal food to your barbequeue, or him.
I second what AREQUIPA wrote.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
How do I deal with this?
Accept the fact your friend is engaged to a guy who has no problems acting like a tantrum-throwing jerk in public. Her choice.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I second what AREQUIPA wrote.
Ta, old mate . I have been following your current debate on Pauline epistles and Acts. I disagree of course, but you are a real tough debator We may agree on a lot more than we may disagree on - like Mystic and myself. We should chat more. (again) Sorry for the digression

To get back on topic, Mark 17. 20 -on deals with all foods being clean to eat (if they are fit to eat, that is) and there is a parenthesis in my RSV: "thus he declared all foods clean", though not in my KJV. But the sense is the same. And Paul deals with food offered to idols, which may be relevant. So if the person in question can be reassured on health grounds, there ought not to be a problem on religious grounds, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Accept the fact your friend is engaged to a guy who has no problems acting like a tantrum-throwing jerk in public. Her choice.
My sister once invited friends to eat and I prepared the food. One girl asked what the fish was and, when I told her, she went 15 shades of Grey... "But that's a Bottom Feeder!!!"

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-24-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
Not sure where to post this so here it is. Yesterday I had an old friend from high school come over for a visit. She brought her new fiance over- a gentleman I had never met. As discussion wore on I was getting the feeling in my gut that I didn't really like this dude. A little too "Tea Party" for me.

I decided to BBQ some chicken for dinner. I went to my local butcher and got chicken (I don't buy grocery store meat- disgusting!) and slappped it on the grill after fixing it up a bit and it cooked to perfection. He complimented me on the grilled chicken, saying that "It's usually so dry- this is perfect" at which point I mentioned that I always buy chicken from the local Middle Eastern butcher and that it was Halal. He asked me what that meant and I told him "basically Muslim Kosher."

Dude had a sh%t fit. SCREAMED at me and dumped his plate on the lawn and said I "poisoned" him. He told my old friend "We're leaving NOW!" and off they went. As he left he was accusing me of serving him a "meal blessed by a false god and supporting terrorists." Wow.

I was floored. This morning my friend called me and apologized. I said "On his behalf too?" Silence. She just said "Well talk about it later" and hung up...

Comments? How do I deal with this?
I've gone to a Halal restaurant with a Muslim co-worker. It was delicious. We had mutton.

Honestly? I'd just not even tell the guy where you got the meat. But at this point the cats out of the bag. If he can't handle it, what can you do? Don't serve him Halal meat if you want to fix him dinner. Or don't have him over to eat if he can't handle what you cook.

As for smoothing it over now? I'd apologize and say you had no idea it was an issue--as he has never voiced his dietary requirements to you before. You're not apologizing for serving it to him -- you're apologizing for not being aware that he has the issue -- and it's HIS fault for not making you aware. Put it back on him and say that you weren't aware that he had such narrow tastes. It's not your fault.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Precisely

Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've gone to a Halal restaurant with a Muslim co-worker. It was delicious. We had mutton.

Honestly? I'd just not even tell the guy where you got the meat. But at this point the cats out of the bag. If he can't handle it, what can you do? Don't serve him Halal meat if you want to fix him dinner. Or don't have him over to eat if he can't handle what you cook.

As for smoothing it over now? I'd apologize and say you had no idea it was an issue--as he has never voiced his dietary requirements to you before. You're not apologizing for serving it to him -- you're apologizing for not being aware that he has the issue -- and it's HIS fault for not making you aware. Put it back on him and say that you weren't aware that he had such narrow tastes. It's not your fault.
I agree - it is not the fault of the poster. Though to be sure, it might not even have occurred to the visitor to ask. But there might be a way forward, as I posted above. I have cooked Halal mutton myself - because really only Halal butchers handle mutton. It is delicious - more delicious than lamb - but can be tougher and just requires longer cooking to get it below prolonged -chewiness level.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
I agree - it is not the fault of the poster. Though to be sure, it might not even have occurred to the visitor to ask.
I completely agree. When I say to apologize...I mean one of those "fake apology" things...where you apologize that the OTHER guy is so closed-minded.

Again...suppose the guy had a peanut allergy....would it have been the OP's fault if they put peanuts in the food? No--of course not. If they didn't know there was an issue, why would it be?
Quote:

But there might be a way forward. I have cooked Halal mutton myself - because really only Halal butchers handle mutton. It is delicious - more delicious than lamb - but can be tougher and just requires longer cooking to get it below prolonged -chewiness level.
I remember it was in some kind of sauce, or gravy. It was good--very tender. You could tell it had been slow-cooked for some time.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:08 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times
Quote:
My sister once invited friends to eat and I prepared the food. One girl asked what the fish was and, when I told her, she went 15 shades of Grey... "But that's a Bottom Feeder!!!"
You should have told her it never fed on my or your bottom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity