Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 06:49 PM

45,696 posts, read 27,308,055 times

Advertisements

When a Bible Club and Gang Bangers Collide...

In an interview with CBN News, Barcelona recalled one meeting where rival gang members stumbled in as they were running from school security.

"And I will never forget when I finished, there was this awkward silence in the room and this gang banger stands to his feet and he looks at me and says, 'What do I have to do to be saved'?" Barcelona said.

"And I remember the principals pulled me into their office," Barcelona continued. "And he says, 'Look, I don't know what you are saying (in) these meetings. I don't know what you are doing in these meetings, but whatever you are doing, keep doing it because gangs have been coming to our counseling offices with kids saying, 'We don't want to be a part of our gang anymore. Help us.'"

It's a great article about a former self proclaimed teen atheist who is now a Christian reaching students in 20 schools in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

In an interview with CBN News, Barcelona recalled one meeting where rival gang members stumbled in as they were running from school security.

"And I will never forget when I finished, there was this awkward silence in the room and this gang banger stands to his feet and he looks at me and says, 'What do I have to do to be saved'?" Barcelona said.

"And I remember the principals pulled me into their office," Barcelona continued. "And he says, 'Look, I don't know what you are saying (in) these meetings. I don't know what you are doing in these meetings, but whatever you are doing, keep doing it because gangs have been coming to our counseling offices with kids saying, 'We don't want to be a part of our gang anymore. Help us.'"

It's a great article about a former self proclaimed teen atheist who is now a Christian reaching students in 20 schools in California.
Not only is this a fine article it shows that resourceful and dedicated Christians don't need "prayer in schools" to accomplish great things.

Nice find.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:22 PM

22,461 posts, read 19,304,533 times
when someone is authentic in their faith, people respond in the most amazing ways

i am of a different religion, but when one of my sons was in high school they had to present on a senior project, and parents were invited to listen to the high school students present on their chosen project, what it was, how they had worked on it through the year.

there was a kid there who spoke that was the most inspirational speaker I have ever heard, and he was not even trying to be, he just spoke from the heart that he had been in trouble with law, arrested twice for theft, and when he was in jail or detention or whatever it's called he started talking to other people in the jail about Jesus. He then saw a remarkable change in his own life and family, he got a job to help out with expenses at home (they lived in a trailer, him and his mom) and he started doing a prison ministry, going into prison and telling these hardened criminals how much Jesus loved them. it was incredible, i was in tears. i have the utmost regard and respect for him, he is the real deal

Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not only is this a fine article it shows that resourceful and dedicated Christians don't need "prayer in schools" to accomplish great things.

Nice find.
There is a LOT of that kind of thing in So Cal. Which is why I always roll my eyes when people post that CA is full of lefty atheists out to destroy the moral fabric of America. There are many people working hard, volunteering and mentoring kids who might otherwise get swallowed up in the gang culture.

It's not unusual to see street preachers on the streets of L.A. Churches are in strip malls. The Harvest Crusade draws tens of thousands of people. The Hollywood Bowl has church services. L.A. isn't the Bible Belt.... but it's not the center of depravity and immorality some people make it out to be.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,270,363 times
Sounds so Jerry Springer like

Old 09-03-2015, 02:53 AM

9,696 posts, read 10,045,032 times
Sounds like these people are stuck in these inner city gangs and the only way out is to be killed , in jail , or accepting Jesus

Old 09-03-2015, 08:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Those evil bible worshipping fundies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity