Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,336,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Correct. They are concerned about their own walk with God, doing what honors God, and not doing what they believe dishonors Him. Some are willing to take a beating for it, like the guy who gave up 40% of his business because he felt he would dishonor God by continuing. But then again, Jesus took a much bigger beating.

People here have a HUGE problem with Christians who actually practice their faith. It offends anti-Christians to no end, and they seek for ways to make them look like the bad guys.
"Honors God" lol! Does eating chocolate cake honor God? Getting a pedicure? Reading a mystery book? Watching a Golden Girls rerun? Wearing clothes you think flatter your body? Swimming in a public pool? Doing laundry?

Point is, "honoring God" is just an excuse. People who use the phrase do plenty that doesn't "honor God", as we all do. You can't walk around 24/7 all holier than thou, honoring God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,851,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not about the WHO... it's about WHAT the activity is.

If the gay people came in the store to get a cake. No big deal. But the fact that it's for a particular activity that goes against what he believes - that's the problem. In other words, if a group representing the Ashley Madison website came in and wanted a cake for a business meeting, I would think he would turn that down as well.
Ashley Madison users are not a class of citizens protected from discrimination. That's why I chose a religious example.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:20 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,864,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Almost all these things with fundamentalists are about fear of punishment.
No, not true at all.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
"Honors God" lol! Does eating chocolate cake honor God? Getting a pedicure? Reading a mystery book? Watching a
If someone thinks getting pedicure honors God, why should you have a problem with it?

That's my whole point.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM

64,138 posts, read 40,463,715 times
Quote:
If someone thinks getting pedicure honors God, why should you have a problem with it?
That's my whole point.
There is no problem. They have every right to think so. No one should mind UNTIL it harms or otherwise interferes with someone else's rights. That always seems to be where you become somehow blind to its effects.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no problem. They have every right to think so. No one should mind UNTIL it harms or otherwise interferes with someone else's rights. That always seems to be where you become somehow blind to its effects.
So, you are hurt because this guy is not baking cakes anymore?

Amazing.

The truth is that you will complain about Christians and their views no matter what they do.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:41 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,642,750 times
Quote:
So, you are hurt because this guy is not baking cakes anymore?

Amazing.

The truth is that you will complain about Christians and their views no matter what they do.
He is not baking wedding cakes. His choice.

Two gay men order three sheets of brownies to serve their wedding guests. Should he bake them or not?

Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,469,417 times
Quote:
Correct. They are concerned about their own walk with God, doing what honors God, and not doing what they believe dishonors Him. Some are willing to take a beating for it, like the guy who gave up 40% of his business because he felt he would dishonor God by continuing. But then again, Jesus took a much bigger beating.

People here have a HUGE problem with Christians who actually practice their faith. It offends anti-Christians to no end, and they seek for ways to make them look like the bad guys.
Actually, you're wrong. I have no problem with Christians who actually practice their faith - it's just that there are so few of them.

I have a problem with self proclaimed Christians who cherry pick the parts of their faith they will follow. And I absolutely have a problem with Christians who will tell me I need to get right with God, when getting right with God clearly didn't have any positive affect on them or how they treat others. I have a problem with Christians who will point out what I'm doing with my life that is "sinful," when I could point out what they're doing in their life that is sinful (according to their faith) without even thinking very hard.

If you're going to proclaim yourself a Christian, then you need to show it in your life, your words, your actions, the choices you make, how you treat others. Christians are supposed to be "a light to the world." Then act like it.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,642,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Actually, you're wrong. I have no problem with Christians who actually practice their faith - it's just that there are so few of them.

I have a problem with self proclaimed Christians who cherry pick the parts of their faith they will follow. And I absolutely have a problem with Christians who will tell me I need to get right with God, when getting right with God clearly didn't have any positive affect on them or how they treat others. I have a problem with Christians who will point out what I'm doing with my life that is "sinful," when I could point out what they're doing in their life that is sinful (according to their faith) without even thinking very hard.

If you're going to proclaim yourself a Christian, then you need to show it in your life, your words, your actions, the choices you make, how you treat others. Christians are supposed to be "a light to the world." Then act like it.
Great post. My kingdom for a rep!!!!🍰

Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How about letting people practice their faith the way that want? Who authorized you to police how it should be practised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity