Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Defined? I don't think so. Mentioned? Yes.

Now, where is that definition?
Where does God mention gay marriage?

Old 11-05-2018, 03:53 PM

16,731 posts, read 15,739,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're moving the goal posts. Does that mean you're not answering the question?

Old 11-05-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I thought your question was rhetorical. Not sure what you’re asking me?

Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 PM

6,804 posts, read 2,933,785 times
Quote:
And yet, God defined marriage in Gen. 2 and Jesus reiterated it in His discussion about divorce.
NO ONE - and NO ONE includes God - should dictate to another WHO they fall in love with and with whom they choose to share their lives in a public commitment of marriage. For crying out loud, Jimmie, do you walk on eggshells on a daily basis wondering whether or not God is going to zap you for not following the tenets of the Old Testament? If so, don't you wonder why you haven't been zapped already since you've broken all of them?

As for Jesus having reiterated a scripture from the Torah, you should know as well as I do that the ONLY reason Jesus brought up marriage at all is because He was quizzed by the Pharisees about divorce. However, IF you really care that much about what Jesus said in that scripture ...why not aim it at all of those divorcees and those that are on their second-plus marriages who sit in your church pews, you know, those ones to whom that scripture was intended ...?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
NO ONE - and NO ONE includes God - should dictate to another WHO they fall in love with and with whom they choose to share their lives in a public commitment of marriage. For crying out loud, Jimmie, do you walk on eggshells on a daily basis wondering whether or not God is going to zap you for not following the tenets of the Old Testament? If so, don't you wonder why you haven't been zapped already since you've broken all of them?

As for Jesus having reiterated a scripture from the Torah, you should know as well as I do that the ONLY reason Jesus brought up marriage at all is because He was quizzed by the Pharisees about divorce. However, IF you really care that much about what Jesus said in that scripture ...why not aim it at all of those divorcees and those that are on their second-plus marriages who sit in your church pews, you know, those ones to whom that scripture was intended ...?
The CREATOR can dictate to the created anything He wants. God however, in His infinite wisdom, gave man a choice.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
The CREATOR can dictate to the created anything He wants. God however, in His infinite wisdom, gave man a choice.
Jimmie, you attribute power to God that Jesus Christ would never ever consider using.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 PM

16,731 posts, read 15,739,580 times
Quote:
And yet, God defined marriage in Gen. 2 and Jesus reiterated it in His discussion about divorce.
You said God defined marriage.

Quote:
Defined? I don't think so. Mentioned? Yes.

Now, where is that definition?
I asked where the definition is. (Not a mention. A definition.)

Quote:
You moved the goal posts & avoided answering the question.

Quote:
So, I asked again.

Quote:
I thought your question was rhetorical. Not sure what you’re asking me?
Now you've got it all on one post. Where's the verse that says: "A marriage shall consist of ... {fill in your definition here} ... thus sayeth your Lord."

I mean, well after your verse from Genesis 2, many men in the Bible married their sisters, their sisters-in-law, had multiple wives, sold their daughters into marriages, and took slaves and made them wives, and made their daughters pregnant. Looks to me like there is a pretty wide range of definitions that seemed to be OK with God. Are all those men burning in the pits of Hell now?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jimmie, you attribute power to God that Jesus Christ would never ever consider using.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:30 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
You said God defined marriage.
I asked where the definition is. (Not a mention. A definition.)
You moved the goal posts & avoided answering the question.
So, I asked again.
Now you've got it all on one post. Where's the verse that says: "A marriage shall consist of ... {fill in your definition here} ... thus sayeth your Lord."
I mean, well after your verse from Genesis 2, many men in the Bible married their sisters, their sisters-in-law, had multiple wives, sold their daughters into marriages, and took slaves and made them wives, and made their daughters pregnant. Looks to me like there is a pretty wide range of definitions that seemed to be OK with God. Are all those men burning in the pits of Hell now?
I am put in mind of that old saw about getting blood out of a stone. It seems the same level of difficulty exists in getting answers from blood sacrifice believers.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What power is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.