Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,267,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
The Law is a language of poetry and guidance. A Shepherd and staff at the well to weave a garment from sack cloth. Sheer truth from the wool and a new garment is formed from on high into fine linen.. A cradle for a new born in the hands of a Mother clothed in the Sun.

A Crown of Stars declare the Year of the LORD.
Ah, yeah sure. If you say so. But what is it you said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 07:30 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,198,537 times
Same God, different covenant. The Law didn't fail, we (the flesh) did in that it was weak.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:15 AM

1,382 posts, read 770,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Gee, but the law's been abolished....

Dear Richard,
The Law has been abolished/made obsolete, according to some unknown author who seemed to side with the false prophet Paul (book of Hebrews). Your present canon was first proposed by the bishop of Alexandria in the year 367, who was part of the team (Council of Nicaea) of the beast with two horns like a lamb, Constantine, who intended to make alterations in the Law and the Times (Daniel 7:24-25). The beast with two horns like a lamb, which were lamb like horns, were Peter and Paul, was to deceive "those who dwell on the earth". Those "who dwell on the earth" have already been deceived, and they carry the mark of the beast, which is exemplified in Deuteronomy 6:8. The Law and the prophets will remain, yet the false prophet/lawlessness and the "stumbling blocks"/Peter, will be removed. (Mt 13:41)

Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,945,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Love is now the new sheriff in town. The OT God tried various methods to get the mortals in line and ALL FAILED. So God realized if the LAW was not enough, all that he had left was love. So he laid it out and said NOW YOU MORTALS HAVE NO EXCUSE. We can no longer claim ignorance of the law, because LOVE is easily accessed. We no longer need legal renderings by chapter and verse to show ourselves approved. We no longer rely on Pharisees to interpret the law nor must we allow the Pharisee to intimidate us with their fancy talk and academic ignorance.

We now have ONE way to access God--that is through Christ. There are NO other intermediaries required to interact with God. LAWS will only convict and LAWS must have a consequence, punishment attached if they are to be effective.

LOVE has no strings, LOVE has no obligation, and above all LOVE has no GUILT.
Why is this so hard to understand? The only thing I would add is to remember that "Christ" is not limited to "Jesus."

Old 09-16-2015, 10:08 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,572,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Love is now the new sheriff in town. The OT God tried various methods to get the mortals in line and ALL FAILED. So God realized if the LAW was not enough, all that he had left was love. So he laid it out and said NOW YOU MORTALS HAVE NO EXCUSE. We can no longer claim ignorance of the law, because LOVE is easily accessed. We no longer need legal renderings by chapter and verse to show ourselves approved. We no longer rely on Pharisees to interpret the law nor must we allow the Pharisee to intimidate us with their fancy talk and academic ignorance.

We now have ONE way to access God--that is through Christ. There are NO other intermediaries required to interact with God. LAWS will only convict and LAWS must have a consequence, punishment attached if they are to be effective.

LOVE has no strings, LOVE has no obligation, and above all LOVE has no GUILT.
Please explain, as this almost sounds utterly blasphemous. To presume that God has failed, at anything, takes a pretty cheap shot. Is not 'Love God' and 'Love your neighbor' a summary of the Law? You are confusing me a bit.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Please explain, as this almost sounds utterly blasphemous. To presume that God has failed, at anything, takes a pretty cheap shot. Is not 'Love God' and 'Love your neighbor' a summary of the Law? You are confusing me a bit.
No, it is not a "summary" in the sense that all of the things that have been listed as law are a legitimate part of the two imperatives, it is a "summary" in that the intent or purpose of imperfect laws is to implement those imperatives. Focus on the law raises the tool over the job it is used to accomplish.
A job can be done with an imperfect tool, the better the tool, the better the job done, but it is the JOB that is paramount, not the tool.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Same God, different covenant. The Law didn't fail, we (the flesh) did in that it was weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Wrong. The law failed. As a teacher, if I develop goals and objectives for my students and they FAIL to achieve those goals, I HAVE FAILED because I did not (or would not) accept my students limitations.

If I understood my students, the goals would have not only been attainable, but relevant and within their abilities.

LOVE GOD and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR is not a summary--IT IS THE LAW (COMMANDMENT)

All else we do is a summary that derives from these two commandments.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it is not a "summary" in the sense that all of the things that have been listed as law are a legitimate part of the two imperatives, it is a "summary" in that the intent or purpose of imperfect laws is to implement those imperatives. Focus on the law raises the tool over the job it is used to accomplish.
A job can be done with an imperfect tool, the better the tool, the better the job done, but it is the JOB that is paramount, not the tool.

Just what I wanted to say..

Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,791,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Gee, but the law's been abolished....
No. God has not abolished His law. Sinners misunderstand.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
No. God has not abolished His law. Sinners misunderstand.
Law has been abolished as basis for judgement. Rules can never perfectly express the principle that we operate under: concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation.

What matters is how we love and express it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity