Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:50 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not surprised to see CD posters offended by the thought of people praying.
The point is Christians being offended by non Christians praying. How could you miss that part of the article.

What a jerk that said he would walk out. So if a Rabbi said the prayer he thinks leaving is the right thing to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,364,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Oh, man, I wish I lived in Coolidge. I'd be filing suit first thing Monday morning, for every penny I could squeeze out of them.
Are you motivated by principle? or by the prospect of financial gain for you and the cause you represent at the expense of a "perfect foe". That seems to be an increasingly-common motivation over in the Great Lefty Sandbox.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:45 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,270,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Are you motivated by principle? or by the prospect of financial gain for you and the cause you represent at the expense of a "perfect foe". That seems to be an increasingly-common motivation over in the Great Lefty Sandbox.
and how much will Kim Davis profit from her "motivation?"

Old 09-20-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I looked for a copy of the wording of the law in the article. I didn't see it. Should I be surprised? Until I do, I will reserve judgment on it.
The Coolidge Examiner

Seems the towns people have heard of it.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times
It's nice to know there are groups working for EVERYONE's religious liberty:

Quote:
Keeping a close eye on the meeting will be the ACLU of Arizona, which, among other issues, works to ensure religious liberty.
Prayer controversy: Coolidge

No one is free to practice their religious liberty (in private) if we are not ALL allowed to be free from religious oppression in public. The public is only free from religious oppression (by somebody) when religion is kept from civil, school, or corporate life.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,624 times
I would rather be dead than to live under true Islamic Sharia Law. The local, state and federal governments need to keep all religious things out - period.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I would rather be dead than to live under true Islamic Sharia Law. The local, state and federal governments need to keep all religious things out - period.
I would rather be dead that live under ANY SHARIA LAW, be it it Muslim, christian or god-in-the-tiny-box..

Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But Islam, Hindu and ANY other religions are banned...Not good..
This could be an attempt to enforce Christian Dominionism - which is similar to Sharia Law - only "christian".

All other religions are denigrated - except for Christianity.

This is contrary to separation of church and state. I hope someone files a law suit.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:56 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,646,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Nothing personal, but your occasional penchant for projecting strange and unflattering motivations onto people you suspect of being ideologically flawed sometimes makes it difficult to answer your questions, because it's hard to figure out what you're really asking and how it's relevant to the discussion as a whole. But I'll take a swing at it anyway, even though I'm not quite sure what you mean by the phrase "perfect foe."

First off, I don't represent a "cause." My motivations (while in many cases shared by quite a few others) are entirely personal.

Now. As for whether my motivation would be based upon principle - well, that's somewhat awkward. In all honesty, I would love to be able to say that in this hypothetical scenario, I would be motivated entirely by principle, but my principles make me uncomfortable using the term "principle" in this instance. My motivation would be twofold - in no particular order, one of my motivations would be to inflict as much harm as I possibly can on the religious wackos who are deliberately perverting and undermining the very foundation of the social structure of the country in which I live; and my other primary motivation would be to strike a blow in defense of the Constitution of the United States of America, a document which (along with the Declaration of Independence) I consider as close to sacred as anything ever penned by human hand.

Now, you could make an argument that this is a question of principle (mostly based on the second reason I listed), and if you felt up to it, could perhaps make a good case for that argument - but I personally would not feel fully comfortable claiming that my action was a matter of principle, when I admit quite candidly that a large part of my motivation is simply petty vengeance. To me, it would feel as though I were cheapening the meaning (and thus the significance) of the concept of "principle."

As for the money, or - as you put it - "the prospect of financial gain," well... I'm not going to deny that money is nice to have, and I certainly won't pretend that I couldn't find a good use for it. My wife is severely disabled, and while we're not exactly paupers, there never seems to be quite enough money for the various surgeries and tests and cross-country trips and god knows what else. So yeah, the money would find a use. But in all honesty, I didn't even think about dollar signs until you asked the question. She and I are both smart people, we've worked hard in our lives and made (mostly) good decisions, and we have plenty of other options for replenishing the coffers. Ways of earning money that make us feel as though we earned it, which I don't think I need to explain to you in detail. I think you know what I mean by that. I'll just say that we feel better when the money we deposit in our accounts comes from something other than a lawsuit such as this would be.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,646,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Its a great idea to invite God into the meeting and have His lead in the spirit
What kind of a Moderator cut: bleep "god" needs to be personally invited to intercede in a situation where his involvement would be both influential and beneficial?

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-22-2015 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity