Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:33 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Zechariah 9:8:

Quote:
But I will encamp at my temple to guard it against marauding forces. Never again will an oppressor overrun my people, for now I am keeping watch.
This is God talking to Zechariah circa 550 BC during the Babylonian captivity. God makes an ironclad promise to Israel that after their captivity is over God will never allow another nation to oppress Israel. You can see it in black and white.

500 years later circa 50 BC Israel is overrun by the Roman empire. In a nutshell, God promises and God doesn't keep His promise.

Is anyone reading this verse differently than I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 04:47 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
We know God doesn't lie, and we know God is not slack in keeping His promises. That leaves just one other alternative. You are not understanding the passage correctly.

Here's what I think about the passage. I'm hoping someone else will weigh in with their thoughts.

Alexander the Great was about to overpower the Medo-Persian power. This prophecy assured God's people that world changes would not destroy them.

Jehovah would encamp about his people and through them fulfil his purpose. No more would such nations pass through to thwart his purpose; it would be fulfilled in the Messiah.

An immediate fulfillment of this promise occurred when Alexander spared Jerusalem and gave the Jews special favors.

Katie

Old 09-26-2015, 05:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
OR man wrote it and MAN got it wrong.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:03 PM

I appreciate your taking this thorny question on, Katie. Alexander the Great did not appear on the scene until two hundred years later in 326 BC. So the question would be why God would protect them from the Greeks and not the Romans.

The issue of world affairs not destroying them also is problematic because the Romans did destroy Israel in 70 AD. While some Jews stayed in the area and a few revolts occurred from time to time, gradually Israel depopulated of Jews and the Great Diaspora was in full swing by 350 CE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
OR man wrote it and MAN got it wrong.
Well, that's what I'm inclined to believe, zthatz, although you couldn't get a dye-in-the-wool Christian to admit that. Whoever wrote this verse certainly put God's head in a noose, didn't he?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-26-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 06:31 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

This is God talking to Zechariah circa 550 BC during the Babylonian captivity. God makes an ironclad promise to Israel that after their captivity is over God will never allow another nation to oppress Israel. You can see it in black and white.

500 years later circa 50 BC Israel is overrun by the Roman empire. In a nutshell, God promises and God doesn't keep His promise.

Zechariah 9:

8And I will encamp beside My house against a garrison of those passing by and of those returning. And no oppressor shall pass by them, for now I have seen with My eyes. - Zechariah - Chapter 9 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Where does it state that G-d will NEVER allow it?...

Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Zechariah 9:

8And I will encamp beside My house against a garrison of those passing by and of those returning. And no oppressor shall pass by them, for now I have seen with My eyes. - Zechariah - Chapter 9 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Where does it state that G-d will NEVER allow it?...
I guess the phrase, "Lost in Translation" is applicable here, right Richard?

But have a look:

Quote:
New International Version
But I will encamp at my temple to guard it against marauding forces. Never again will an oppressor overrun my people, for now I am keeping watch.

New Living Translation
I will guard my Temple and protect it from invading armies. I am watching closely to ensure that no more foreign oppressors overrun my people's land.

English Standard Version
Then I will encamp at my house as a guard, so that none shall march to and fro; no oppressor shall again march over them, for now I see with my own eyes.

New American Standard Bible
But I will camp around My house because of an army, Because of him who passes by and returns; And no oppressor will pass over them anymore, For now I have seen with My eyes.

King James Bible
And I will encamp about mine house because of the army, because of him that passeth by, and because of him that returneth: and no oppressor shall pass through them any more: for now have I seen with mine eyes.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
I will set up camp at My house against an army, against those who march back and forth, and no oppressor will march against them again, for now I have seen with My own eyes.

International Standard Version
I will set a garrison around my Temple, to hinder those who might come and go, and to guard against oppressors who intend to invade; for I have taken note of this with my eyes."
All translations at Biblehub, except for yours, has the enemy passing over and through, not by.

The verdict is 99.9% in. God fails.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:

They were no longer his people.

Matthew 21:43 43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Matthew 23:38 38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate

Old 09-26-2015, 06:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
I appreciate your taking this thorny question on, Katie. Alexander the Great did not appear on the scene until two hundred years later in 326 BC. So the question would be why God would protect them from the Greeks and not the Romans.

The issue of world affairs not destroying them also is problematic because the Romans did destroy Israel in 70 AD. While some Jews stayed in the area and a few revolts occurred from time to time, gradually Israel depopulated of Jews and the Great Diaspora was in full swing by 350 CE.

Well, that's what I'm inclined to believe, zthatz, although you couldn't get a dye-in-the-wool Christian to admit that. Whoever wrote this verse certainly put God's head in a noose, didn't he?
Modern evangelical fundies have created a NEW way to interpret and read ancient prophecies...

They claim there is a MINOR and MAJOR fulfillment of prophecy. So when it appears the prophecy has PASSED or been applied THOUSANDS or even hundreds of years ago, that is because the prophecy has TWO STAGES and it SHALL COME TO PASS YET AGAIN in our modern world...ROFLMA..

I have yet to find the chapter and verse that explains this TWO-FOLD prophecy. I also believe there is a THREE and possibly FOUR STAGE prophecy that will explain the prophecy the EF await, will manifest itself in yet another application when the first TWO have failed to adequately explain why it really didn't happen the way 99% of us mere mortals understood it to have happened...

Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They were no longer his people.

Matthew 21:43 43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Matthew 23:38 38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate
Fail again, expat. Matthew was written over 100 years after the Romans took over Israel and the Romans conquered Israel a full 80 years before Jesus said those words so God hadn't "divorced" them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Modern evangelical fundies have created a NEW way to interpret and read ancient prophecies...

They claim there is a MINOR and MAJOR fulfillment of prophecy. So when it appears the prophecy has PASSED or been applied THOUSANDS or even hundreds of years ago, that is because the prophecy has TWO STAGES and it SHALL COME TO PASS YET AGAIN in our modern world...ROFLMA..

I have yet to find the chapter and verse that explains this TWO-FOLD prophecy. I also believe there is a THREE and possibly FOUR STAGE prophecy that will explain the prophecy the EF await, will manifest itself in yet another application when the first TWO have failed to adequately explain why it really didn't happen the way 99% of us mere mortals understood it to have happened...
I suppose Christian apologists can make prophecies as many "folds" as they like, one for each time a skeptic points out to them where their apology fails.

A "hundred-fold" fulfillment, anyone?

Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
I guess the phrase, "Lost in Translation" is applicable here, right Richard?

But have a look:

All translations at Biblehub, except for yours, has the enemy passing over and through, not by.

The verdict is 99.9% in. God fails.
Well, since the original Scriptures are the Seferim Torah and not all those English translations...Let me look in my Stone Edition TaNaKh...

Zechariah 9:8

Stone Edition TaNaKh

The Torah / Prophets / Writings

Newly translated and annotated

I will encamp at My home [to protect it] against any army and from any [enemy] who comes and goes and an oppressor will never again pass through them; For now I have seen [their suffering] with My eyes.

But, it does go on to speak of the future Messiah that will come and this is when this will take place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity