Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Episcopalians observe Lent.
Lutherans observe lent as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
Well, Fat Tuesday has arrived and nightfall will be here before I know it. I just wanted to post a couple more thoughts before Lent officially begins...

I have definately decided to give up the internet. I will check in briefly on Sundays (Little Easter). I will also be giving up snacking (only allowing myself actual 'meals' where I have to be seated -- something that rarely happens in my day). Both of these sacrifices will give me time for meditation and reflection. I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to post on the thread. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and hope that you will continue to post throughout the season. I will keep you all in prayer.

Some more reading... Ash Wednesday

Job 41:6 Therefore I reprehend myself, and do penance in dust and ashes.

Genesis 3 Remember, man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return.

...After we leave the church, we leave the ashes on our foreheads until they wear off naturally from the course of the day's activities. They are a public witness to those things our society does not wish to embrace: the reality of death, penance for sin, and the hope of resurrection in our Lord, Jesus Christ...

May the peace of our Lord and Saviour be with you all...

<>< weather...

Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Well, Fat Tuesday has arrived and nightfall will be here before I know it. I just wanted to post a couple more thoughts before Lent officially begins...

I have definately decided to give up the internet. I will check in briefly on Sundays (Little Easter). I will also be giving up snacking (only allowing myself actual 'meals' where I have to be seated -- something that rarely happens in my day). Both of these sacrifices will give me time for meditation and reflection. I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to post on the thread. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and hope that you will continue to post throughout the season. I will keep you all in prayer.

Some more reading... Ash Wednesday

Job 41:6 Therefore I reprehend myself, and do penance in dust and ashes.

Genesis 3 Remember, man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return.

...After we leave the church, we leave the ashes on our foreheads until they wear off naturally from the course of the day's activities. They are a public witness to those things our society does not wish to embrace: the reality of death, penance for sin, and the hope of resurrection in our Lord, Jesus Christ...

May the peace of our Lord and Saviour be with you all...

<>< weather...
May God bless you during this special time.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Default For all who will be observing Lent

My thoughts and prayers will be with you weather, and all the others here who honor the sacrifice of our Lord in this way..Blessings, and love to all of you during this season of lent..

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM

Hello, all.

Just wanted to wish you all a 'good morning' on this 2nd Sunday of Lent. I am doing well with my "no internet" sacrifice, but I am afraid that for the first time in my Lenten sacrifices I am failing at my "in-between-meal snacking". I have found that I am truly a chocolate addict. I believe that this is perhaps God's way of humbling me to other's addictions. I have given up chocolate in the past (for Lent and other reasons), but this time I have found myself truly binging. I have felt ashamed and just when I think I have managed to get the cravings under control, I find my hand in a jar of chocolat covered raisins.

I hope that you are all doing well. I will try to check back in later (before sundown), but the children are demanding my time. They want to go on a "garbage collection" walk. Boy, do they know how to work me.

<>< weather...

Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Weather, DARK chocolate is good for you..so continue to be good to yourself, as long as it is DARK chocolate..After all "you cant get enough of a good thing" Blessings for the coming week as you observe lent..

Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Default My Lenten confession

As if you hadn't noticed...

I have been abondoning my Lenten sacrifice of "no internet" this last week. I must say, not that this is any excuse, I have been lonely these past several days. Holy Week is an important time for reflection for me and as I reflect, I think of you guys. You are the ones that I share my thoughts with. You are the ones that I look to for feedback and inspiration. My children are quick to remind me that I am not supposed to be on the internet. My oldest told me yesterday, "You sure have been on the computer a lot lately, Mom. I haven't had chocolate milk." I assured him that God would reward him for his faithfulness.

I miss you all.

<><weather...

Last edited by weatherologist; 03-21-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-21-2008, 11:15 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Good to hear from you weather! I've missed you!! I started Lent two days early so I decided today would be the end. It's my anniversary so all the more reason. I had my first cup of coffee in 40 days! Boy did the caffeine hit hard! I had two large cups and realize I must drink responsibly. I've been sugar free for 40 days and have decided to continue that practice as I feel much better physically. I will have an occassional dessert for special occassions, but that's it. I have experienced a much deeper, more intimate relationship with the Lord during this time. I am SO thankful I read your thread and decided to observe Lent. Blessings to you Weather!!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Good to hear from you weather! I've missed you!! I started Lent two days early so I decided today would be the end. It's my anniversary so all the more reason. I had my first cup of coffee in 40 days! Boy did the caffeine hit hard! I had two large cups and realize I must drink responsibly. I've been sugar free for 40 days and have decided to continue that practice as I feel much better physically. I will have an occassional dessert for special occassions, but that's it. I have experienced a much deeper, more intimate relationship with the Lord during this time. I am SO thankful I read your thread and decided to observe Lent. Blessings to you Weather!!

Happy Anniversary, Hoos,

Way to go on your Lenten sacrifices!! My husband gave up sugar close to 7years ago. I have to look at the ingredients on prepackaged products. At first it was a huge "problem" in our marriage. Now it is just common practice. He is a huge advocate of honey and has become quite the sweets baker with honey.

Many blessings back at you.

May the peace of the Risen Christ be with us all...

<><weather...

Old 03-21-2008, 06:34 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Happy Anniversary, Hoos,

Way to go on your Lenten sacrifices!! My husband gave up sugar close to 7years ago. I have to look at the ingredients on prepackaged products. At first it was a huge "problem" in our marriage. Now it is just common practice. He is a huge advocate of honey and has become quite the sweets baker with honey.

Many blessings back at you.

May the peace of the Risen Christ be with us all...

<><weather...

Thanks! Just gave my wife her anniversary ring. Three princess cut diamonds with an inscription, "past, present & future". She loved it!! It's a half carat total weight.

I had chocolate today and boy does my stomach ache. Gonna stay away from it. I too have become an advocate for honey as that was all I could use to sweeten things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity