Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:13 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yea.....sure they did....
I don't know about the family being referred to, but don't think that people and families haven't believed the rapture was coming and acted accordingly. Ever hear of Harold Camping?

A Year After the Non-Apocalypse: Where Are They Now? | Religion Dispatches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:52 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I don't know about the family being referred to, but don't think that people and families haven't believed the rapture was coming and acted accordingly. Ever hear of Harold Camping?

A Year After the Non-Apocalypse: Where Are They Now? | Religion Dispatches
Sure miss me some Harold Camping, good times, good times.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
And some others drank the cool-aid in Guam. The Bible says no one knows the date and time, so as a Christian you might as well act accordingly.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
I wonder what folks would think if I went and posted a topic discussing "Hateful atheists" on the atheist forum. Or "Hateful Muslims" on the Islam forum.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I wonder what folks would think if I went and posted a topic discussing "Hateful atheists" on the atheist forum. Or "Hateful Muslims" on the Islam forum.
I wouldn't mind. But I'm not a mod.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I wouldn't mind. But I'm not a mod.
And honestly? I think you're one of the more good-natured atheists on these forums. I've enjoyed my discussions with you, Freak. Perhaps I'm reading you wrong, and you secretly despise me and all other Christians...but you seem like a decent guy (or girl?).

Old 04-21-2016, 11:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That would be a very hateful thing to do.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That would be a very hateful thing to do.
Yah...I suppose it would. But I wouldn't do that. I'm too nice of a person.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Well, one thing that doesn't get mentioned a lot when it comes to this is you cannot "love your neighbor as yourself" when you view yourself as a dispicable worm.

And yes, I remember being told as a kid that I would never grow up and have a job or family because the rapture would happen before that. One family in our church ran up thousands in credit card debt because they figured the rapture was happening and they would never have to pay the bill. The rapture was a very scary thing growing up because I knew if I wanted to go, I would have to follow the rules and conform, or be left behind. Being left behind meant I would have the option of taking the mark of the beast and going to hell or being decapitated by guillotine.
I would point out that many fundamentalist children have low self esteem as well as anger issues.

My Uncle was a Baptist preacher who was defrocked when he got divorced. He went on to be a teacher, a professor, and limiting his ministerial work to non fundamentalist churches. He taught evolution (not creation) He practiced love and generosity. He would drop what he was doing to help anyone in need, and never once asked for anything in return.

When he died, his funeral was standing room only.
his two sons, my cousins, are still Baptists and two of the most selfish, judgmental, hateful people around.

Fundamentalism, by its very nature of fear and hate, breeds children with anger issues. And Low self esteem.
We have seen this over and over and over.
not to suggest that there are not "overachievers" in the church who suppress this thinking....it is still there. They are the ones with a myriad of psychosomatic problems by the time they hit 40

I cannot express how great my life is without fundamentalism, how miserable I was growing up in a fundy church, and how glad I am not to be part of it now.

I do a lot of things that fundies do not like....not that I care , but one is raising confident, atheist kids. I raise my kids to believe in themselves, to learn from past failure and mistakes, and to move forward to goals and achievements based on hard work and honesty. Not what fundies' teach, but at least what I do in life actually works. And is healthy.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
And some others drank the cool-aid in Guam. The Bible says no one knows the date and time, so as a Christian you might as well act accordingly.
Fear is a powerful motivator, and fundamentalists use that fear to control people.

And no, people were forced to drink the poisoned Kool aid in Guyana. Kind of a different situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity