Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,996 times

Advertisements

When multi-billion dollar companies tell us they cannot afford to give a living wage to workers they are lying, and should hardly call themselves Christian.

As a small business owner, I pay a good living wage.
I do not buy into the "we will have to lay off workers if we pay more" meme. It is not true.

People should stop preaching about the implications of a living wage on the economy when they do not know what they are talking about. It is rather astonishing, and pretty hateful on the merits of the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,268,345 times
I don't know if you guys are watching too many TV news shows - but the language and thinking from some of you has corrupted your Christianity - or your belief system if you are not a Christian. I understand this from experience because I used to do the same thing, even though it was from the other perspective.

I used to be a daily listener of Limbaugh. Now don't get tripped up on him - hear my point. I used to listen for three hours per day, but I was not spending hardly any time with the Lord. What happened is that I thought and talked like Limbaugh because that's who I spent most of my time with - and "my Christianity" (how I live out my faith) showed itself in the form of a political righty. God, through the Holy Spirit, made that known to me, and I stopped listening to Him. I am in a much better place now since my Christianity is beyond the realm of politics because Jesus is beyond the realm of politics.

Some of you have subjected Christ to mere political talking points. Stop adopting the language and the thinking of the pundits on TV and radio and spend more time with Christ.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't know if you guys are watching too many TV news shows - but the language and thinking from some of you has corrupted your Christianity - or your belief system if you are not a Christian. I understand this from experience because I used to do the same thing, even though it was from the other perspective.

I used to be a daily listener of Limbaugh. Now don't get tripped up on him - hear my point. I used to listen for three hours per day, but I was not spending hardly any time with the Lord. What happened is that I thought and talked like Limbaugh because that's who I spent most of my time with - and "my Christianity" (how I live out my faith) showed itself in the form of a political righty. God, through the Holy Spirit, made that known to me, and I stopped listening to Him. I am in a much better place now since my Christianity is beyond the realm of politics because Jesus is beyond the realm of politics.

Some of you have subjected Christ to mere political talking points. Stop adopting the language and the thinking of the pundits on TV and radio and spend more time with Christ.
Some of us never needed someone named Rush Limbaugh, let alone listen to him three hours a day. The man is a misogynistic arse. I imagine it takes time to shake off the effects of the good old Rushbo cultism

Don't worry. You will get there yet. I support your recovery.

Jesus was a radical man full of talking points. He took on the soft belly men like your former god Rush.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Here's my main point.

Jesus talks about ministering to the least of these (Matthew 25). For most people, "the least of these" refers to society's default value of who the least of these are -- the poor, those who are mistreated and marginalized, certain groups the media claims are victims, etc.

The truth is everyone has their own list of who "the least of these" are. For many white people, black people are the least of these. For those who are poor, rich people are the least of these. For the LGBT, conservatives are the least of these. And in each example - you could flip it around in the opposite direction. In this thread, RonkonkomaNative's version of "the least of these" is rich white guys.

We put people in these groups and we get lazy in how we relate to others. It's easier and more convenient to say they are all alike, than to actually have a conversation and humble yourself if the other side has a point.

They had these groups in Jesus' day as well. One group was the Pharisees. Many of you on this board have repeatedly claimed Jesus railed against the Pharisees. Read John 3. Jesus had a conversation with Nicodemus, who was a Pharisee. Jesus did not talk trash about him because he was part of that group. He treated him as an individual who needed Christ in his life. What was the result? Nicodemus was at the cross helping with the body of Christ. He became a believer.

Another group was the Samaritans. Read John 4. Jesus spoke with a Samaritan woman who was sexually involved with 5 men. He could have easily avoided her, or talked down to her. He pointed out her relational issues with the goal of bringing her back to Him. She ended up proclaiming Him to many other Samaritans.

Christ ministered to all types of people. His inner circle reflected this from Matthew the tax collector, to Simon the political rebel. The people He ministered to ranged from a Roman centurion, to the lame guy at the pool for 38 years, to Nicodemus the Pharisee.

If you are of Christ, dealing with people at a group level instead of as individuals does not reflect Christ. You restrict and limits Christ's effectiveness through you when you do this.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Some of us never needed someone named Rush Limbaugh, let alone listen to him three hours a day. The man is a misogynistic arse. I imagine it takes time to shake off the effects of the good old Rushbo cultism

Don't worry. You will get there yet. I support your recovery.

Jesus was a radical man full of talking points. He took on the soft belly men like your former god Rush.
I can admit my issues... can you?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Here's my main point.

Jesus talks about ministering to the least of these (Matthew 25). For most people, "the least of these" refers to society's default value of who the least of these are -- the poor, those who are mistreated and marginalized, certain groups the media claims are victims, etc.

The truth is everyone has their own list of who "the least of these" are. For many white people, black people are the least of these. For those who are poor, rich people are the least of these. For the LGBT, conservatives are the least of these. And in each example - you could flip it around in the opposite direction. In this thread, RonkonkomaNative's version of "the least of these" is rich white guys.

Where have I said ROWG's are the least of these? Please post a direct quote.

You seem to think they have tax issues which marginalize them in the community. They do not.

Allow me to clear up your confusion. A Christian does not discriminate against LGBTQ, women, children, persons of color, and the marginalized.

If ROWG's are being marginalized, I will stand with them. I do not see it. Perhaps they are being denied their senior discount at Harris Teeter?

Allow me to reiterate my beliefs to clear up your confusion.

If you are LGBTQ, you and your partner should be allowed to get married and live in peace.
If you are a woman, you should control your reproductive health.
If you are a child, you should never be hit, spanked or sexually molested.
If you are a person of color, you should be able to walk anywhere, and not be stopped just for being a person of color.
If you are marginalized, you should be able to vote, receive a fair living wage, healthcare and family leave.
If you are a ROWG? I got nuthin.

Rush is still in your heart.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I can admit my issues... can you?
What issues?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:17 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,941,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
When multi-billion dollar companies tell us they cannot afford to give a living wage to workers they are lying, and should hardly call themselves Christian.
As a small business owner, I pay a good living wage.
I do not buy into the "we will have to lay off workers if we pay more" meme. It is not true.

People should stop preaching about the implications of a living wage on the economy when they do not know what they are talking about. It is rather astonishing, and pretty hateful on the merits of the argument.

Look at what you just said.

I mention that the other side of this $15/hour minimum wage issue has people who are compassionate and caring enough to realize that this idea would harm MANY families. It WILL raise prices, (economy 101), and will cause people to get FIRED (absolutely) and will also cause some small businesses to fold. It's not about the "rich people" getting more money. It's about people actually having JOBS. It's about protecting small businesses who EMPLOY people. Again, this is BASIC economics. It's not opinions. It's the way it works.

Now, that I've mentioned this particular issue as an example, (not the focus of the post, I think some of you got confused on that. I don't want to discuss political things, I'm only using this as an example of people on both sides of an issue having thoughtful views. The actual HUMAN BEING behind the thoughts. Instead of slinging mud on the other side and refusing to see the other person.)

So now you are calling me "hateful"?

Why did you do that, RonkonkomaNative?
No sarcasm, please. Just answer straight out.
Why? Why would you call me hateful?

HATEFUL. What a word.

HATE.

ME.

WHY?

Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
A fair wage losses its value without a cost of living increase.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A fair wage losses its value without a cost of living increase.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity