Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 PM

371 posts, read 338,017 times

Advertisements

The top 10 signs that you don’t understand evolution at all | God of Evolution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Fundamentalists mark and ignore, this makes FAR too much sense.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Fundamentalists mark and ignore, this makes FAR too much sense.
How does that make sense... just because you agree?

#7 is my main issue... to which he really does not supply a counter argument except that he does not agree.

7. You think acceptance of evolution is the same as religious faith.

So, ironically, if RayCo really understood scripture he would realize that he was actually giving his victims — er, “interview subjects” — a compliment when he accused them of having “blind faith.” But I reject his assertion that the trust college students place in their experienced professors and peer-reviewed textbooks is in any way comparable to the glorious, joy-bringing, life-saving faith that the Bible describes.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m a big supporter of critical thought — and of an engaged populace that rationally considers the information it receives before accepting it. But there are far worse people one could open one’s mind to than those who are sharing their expertise within the fields they have risen to the top of — especially when their conclusions are based on mountains of hard evidence that are available to anyone who doesn’t willfully choose to ignore it. The scientific community is extremely competitive, but it is also inherently open and transparent — and the modern comforts and advances you enjoy every day are proof that their methods work.

Basically he is saying religion is different, and he trusts the scientists because they are supposedly experts.

I think God created and designed it all. Where we are today in history can be traced back to what was written in Genesis without any contradictions. Which is unlike evolution where you have to believe in a process never seen in complex beings.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:16 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
So what did God say about the natural evolution of life on the earth , as God is the missing link , or don`t the scientist know him

Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 AM

689 posts, read 495,189 times
The deity didn't say anything about evolution or anything else. Even if it exists, which isn't likely, humans put words into its mouth!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,935,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
So what did God say about the natural evolution of life on the earth , as God is the missing link , or don`t the scientist know him
Well you could say that God seeded a lump of clay with his life force and shaped it (evolutionarily) into man. But of course if you bend scripture in that way, you can make it fit into anything, for instance ancient alien theorists.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:52 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,935,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Basically he is saying religion is different, and he trusts the scientists because they are supposedly experts.
The difference is that you can look at scientific reasurch and examin their findings, and correct errors, and make your theories more precise. And they have HUGE amounts of data. Where as religion sadly only has the accounts of people from the past who may or may not be telling the truth, and there only a few things you can prove actually happened, and even then you will never know if God was actually behind it all, which creates a lot of doubt, and conveniently when believers experience this we tell our selves it's the devil influencing us. However there are people who have 100% trust in scientists and don't bother to check their work, similar to how many believers act around their priests.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:

#7 is my main issue... to which he really does not supply a counter argument except that he does not agree.

7. You think acceptance of evolution is the same as religious faith.

So, ironically, if RayCo really understood scripture he would realize that he was actually giving his victims — er, “interview subjects” — a compliment when he accused them of having “blind faith.” But I reject his assertion that the trust college students place in their experienced professors and peer-reviewed textbooks is in any way comparable to the glorious, joy-bringing, life-saving faith that the Bible describes.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m a big supporter of critical thought — and of an engaged populace that rationally considers the information it receives before accepting it. But there are far worse people one could open one’s mind to than those who are sharing their expertise within the fields they have risen to the top of — especially when their conclusions are based on mountains of hard evidence that are available to anyone who doesn’t willfully choose to ignore it. The scientific community is extremely competitive, but it is also inherently open and transparent — and the modern comforts and advances you enjoy every day are proof that their methods work.

I think God created and designed it all. Where we are today in history can be traced back to what was written in Genesis without any contradictions. Which is unlike evolution where you have to believe in a process never seen in complex beings.
Well, that's where I think you show that you don't really understand it.

History can be sorta traced back through the Bible (other books trace other origins back to other gods, but they don't count, do they?) but then science produces evidence that shows that it wasn't really like that. And what do the believers do? Rely on a book and dismiss the evidence.

"Where we are today in history can be traced back to what was written in Genesis without any contradictions. Which is unlike evolution where you have to believe in a process never seen in complex beings "

I love the attempt to try to get that claim away from any evolution that has been proved. Quite apart from the Creationist claim we get that even the first damn' cell was so complex that it couldn't have evolved we get provable examples of evolution is all animals up to horses, dogs, cows and humans. And no contradictions to what is in the Bible? There are more contradictions in the Bible than there are fossil T Rexes.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:09 PM

All you guys still trying to "disprove" evolution(which is a fact), are remarkable.

I am more interested in the fact that this guy is a Christian and has reconciled the two systems. Why can't other Christians do so?

He(rightly) calls evolution deniers out for lying, and thus defying one of the tenements of the Christian faith.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Science is different from religion in that it provides explanations and predictions. I like how this guy points out that a theory is actually more powerful than fact. Theories explain facts. Simply pointing to Gods design explains nothing and predicts nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity