Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
But Peter was not done speaking to them. This is when he told them to repent.

I have heard this argument before, and I disagree that "draw" in this case means to literally drag. Christ is pulling everyone toward Him... but so is the devil. The defining factor, which God has ordained, is whom will we give in to? God is stronger than the devil, but it is not His plan to forcibly cause people to serve Him.
I agree with you cg, Christ is not going to drag anyone to Him. He wants us to come willingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree with you cg, Christ is not going to drag anyone to Him. He wants us to come willingly.
Amen! That is the grace of God. His love through Jesus Christ draws us!! It does not drags us.
Blessings

Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

Yes...what that verse means is that we cannot come to God unless He calls us. Who does He call? Everyone.
Isa 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isa 55:1 ¶ Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Joh 7:37 ¶ In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
Re 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Whosoever will!

And especially this verse...
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Doesn't sound like dragging, does it? And yet, many are drawn to the love of Jesus shown in this verse.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Yes...what that verse means is that we cannot come to God unless He calls us. Who does He call? Everyone.
Isa 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isa 55:1 ¶ Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Joh 7:37 ¶ In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
Re 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Whosoever will!

And especially this verse...
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Doesn't sound like dragging, does it? And yet, many are drawn to the love of Jesus shown in this verse.
Amen cg81, God is so wonderful. I am so thankful for our Lord Jesus!

Heb. 9:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Amen cg81, God is so wonderful. I am so thankful for our Lord Jesus!

Heb. 9:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
Praise God this is true!!!!! You and cg are right on!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
But Peter was not done speaking to them. This is when he told them to repent.
Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Quote:
I have heard this argument before, and I disagree that "draw" in this case means to literally drag. Christ is pulling everyone toward Him... but so is the devil. The defining factor, which God has ordained, is whom will we give in to? God is stronger than the devil, but it is not His plan to forcibly cause people to serve Him.
And your devil is stronger than God? This is not an argument, it is a fact.

You did not choose God, He chose you. Your salvation is a gift. You did not have to do one thing to be accepted, you came as you were.

It does not matter how you try deny it, when you try take credit for the salvation, you are are blasphemer and you know it. All you did was accept the hand offered out to you, God did all the work, you did nothing. At the point of your revelation, there was only one choice, just like with me, you cannot say no.

Do you think Paul had a choice on the Damascus road? Was he on his way to seek out Jesus or was he on his way to kill Jesus' followers?

It is not about forcing. When the revelation or drawing has taken place, it is defacto you will accept it - who wouldn't.? Remember your faith is also a gift.

All gifts bro/sis?, you did nothing to earn it NADA.

Are you special? In His eyes yes, we are all special, even your worst enemy.

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world"

Blessings

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
And your devil is stronger than God?
As I already referred to, no. But God has chosen to leave the choice up to us who we will follow. It's not a matter of strength.

Quote:
You did not choose God, He chose you. Your salvation is a gift. You did not have to do one thing to be accepted, you came as you were.

It does not matter how you try deny it, when you try take credit for the salvation, you are are blasphemer and you know it. All you did was accept the hand offered out to you, God did all the work, you did nothing.
True... Jesus saved me, I could do nothing. But I repented to receive His forgiveness, and accepted it by faith as He promised.

Quote:
At the point of your revelation, there was only one choice, just like with me, you cannot say no.

Do you think Paul had a choice on the Damascus road? Was he on his way to seek out Jesus or was he on his way to kill Jesus' followers?

It is not about forcing. When the revelation or drawing has taken place, it is defacto you will accept it - who wouldn't.?
I could have said no... and many do.

Quote:
Remember your faith is also a gift.

All gifts bro/sis?, you did nothing to earn it NADA.

Are you special? In His eyes yes, we are all special, even your worst enemy.

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world"

Blessings
Again, I agree. None of us are special, but at the same time, all of us are special to God. Everyone has a choice, and everyone has a chance.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,247 times
I think the biggest problem we're having in this discussion is what factor does man's response play in the receiving of God's Grace. Can anyone really answer that question from a biblical perspective quoting scripture? I think that would help clarify things.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
As I already referred to, no. But God has chosen to leave the choice up to us who we will follow. It's not a matter of strength.

True... Jesus saved me, I could do nothing. But I repented to receive His forgiveness, and accepted it by faith as He promised.

I could have said no... and many do.

Again, I agree. None of us are special, but at the same time, all of us are special to God. Everyone has a choice, and everyone has a chance.
It sounds like your god is a great gambler dependent on a fallible human - pity I always thought He was Omniscient, Omnipresent, etc.

Blessings

Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
It sounds like your god is a great gambler dependent on a fallible human - pity I always thought He was Omniscient, Omnipresent, etc.

Blessings
Don't underestimate His Sovereign power to reach all mankind! He is able to perform it. I'm not worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity