Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:06 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:

It's hearts that need fixing Shana...... he said he was anointed to do this,
this is the Fathers business he was about.... he also said we are the channels
of that same anointing that reaches and touches lives....... it's not a God is
in control thing at all.......it's "here I am ... use me to free those lives
that are under control of wrong beliefs, prejudices and biases that bring misery
and frustration on their lives and the lives of others
Yes, it is hearts that need fixing, pcamps. That is why God is our Savior. He can work through us to reach others with the gospel of His salvation but He is ultimately the Savior and fixer of broken hearts. I believe that He is definitely in control and works all things according to the counsel of His own will. (Eph. 1) God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 04:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Yes, it is hearts that need fixing, pcamps. That is why God is our Savior. He can work through us to reach others with the gospel of His salvation but He is ultimately the Savior and fixer of broken hearts. I believe that He is definitely in control and works all things according to the counsel of His own will. (Eph. 1) God bless.
But he is not controlling the world by good and evil and worse still doing so by creating evil to bring good out of it. Yes I know the Joseph scripture. Joseph was simply saying I find God is present with me in this life of vanity and frustration bringing me always to a good end. That is how a man of faith talks. God was a protector, refuge, strong tower a present help in times of trouble to him ....... Yes God as always been the Savior

Old 11-14-2015, 04:28 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:

But he is not controlling the world by good and evil and worse still doing so
by creating evil to bring good out of it. Yes I know the Joseph scripture.
Joseph was simply saying I find God is present with me in this life of vanity
and frustration bringing me always to a good end. That is how a man of faith
talks.

Pcamps, my belief is that God operates all in accordance with His own will and this includes good and evil. All is out of Him and He uses it for His own purposes. This does not mean that He Himself is evil. It is like an author of a book who has good characters and bad characters in his plot. This does not mean that he is bad or evil. I am not sure which scripture about Joseph, you are speaking of. God bless.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:03 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
If the deity exists one wonders if it was sitting on its cloud rubbing its hands and getting off on the terrible events in Paris? If it was omnipotent and loving it would have been capable of stopping this terrorist outrage, so why didn't it? Some Christians will praise the deity if something good happens but not blame it when bad things happen, WHY?
Why didn't He ? because God is Not an ' Indian Giver ', so to speak, God does Not take back His gift of free will.

Adam used his free-will choices to break God's Law. By breaking God's Law Adam set himself up as his own sovereign.
Adam took the Law out of God's hands, so to speak, and put the Law into mankind's hands.
Adam set up People Rule as superior to God Rule.
History is showing us that man can Not successfully direct his step - Jeremiah 10:23; Ecclesiastes 8:9

The world scene today is showing us that God has turned His attention to Earth - Micah 1:2-3; Micah 3:11
We are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on earth - Matthew 25:31-33 - when Jesus will involve himself into mankind's affairs and take the needed action of Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:11,14-15 when the words from Jesus' mouth will rid the earth of the wicked - Psalm 92:7 - before the start of Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over the earth in righteousness.

We also have the coming ' final signal ', so to speak, of 1st Thessalonians 5:2-3 when ' they ' ( powers that be ) will be saying, " Peace and Security " as a precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus takes control over mankind's affairs and ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:25 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Good post ^ above ^ because it is hearts that need fixing. To fix hearts we first need to hear.
Noise interfers with one's hearing. Satan makes a lot of noise in the world - Revelation 12:9,12
For example: Isaiah 2:2-5. The world does Not beat its swords into plowshares, we individually do that.
To adjust to that teaching one would have to transform bad habits to ones having God's approval.
Un-like lightning strikes, change does Not suddenly happen. We need the ' words of life ' (Bible ) to reach into our hearts.
We have to hear ( listen ) the teachings of Jesus and study them to put past wrongs out of our hearts and respond to Jesus' direction such as his ' new ' commandment to have self-sacrificing love for other as he had.- John 13:34-35

Old 11-14-2015, 05:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Pcamps, my belief is that God operates all in accordance with His own will and this includes good and evil. All is out of Him and He uses it for His own purposes. This does not mean that He Himself is evil. It is like an author of a book who has good characters and bad characters in his plot. This does not mean that he is bad or evil. I am not sure which scripture about Joseph, you are speaking of. God bless.
Shana I know you are locked steadfastly into this belief that God creates evil in the same manner I was and in the same manner I was once locked steadfastly into the belief of eternal torment, but let us reason together with the scriptures if we could.

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.

Read this again ^^^^Shana without your biased leanings to God creating evil. Do you not see here that we bring forth in our lives what is stored up within us.........how can you say there is evil stored up in God ?, if evil was a vehicle to bring about good, then it should be perfectly acceptable for the good man to use that means too, unless of cause you believe in "do as I say not as I do", which I am sure you don't.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

God does not send evil, if he did he would be a shifting shadow.

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

There are so many clear and concise scriptures that clearly demonstrate what does come from heaven it really takes a huge stretch of the imagination and scripture gymnastics to believe anything to the contrary.

The wonderful truth Shana what many of us are to blind to see, is all that ever came from heaven is good, not evil being passed of as being good for a greater end. God is good there is no evil in him..... if that being true and everything brings forth after its kind...... I cannot understand how you believe God could think evil never mind do evil for a greater end.

The Joseph scripture I was referring to is "you meant it for evil but God meant it for good".

Jesus was so clear where evil came from Shana and it is not from heaven. The fire the disciples wanted to call down from heaven does not exist, except in the imagination of man.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-14-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 05:36 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:
If the deity exists one wonders if it was sitting on its cloud rubbing its hands and getting off on the terrible events in Paris? If it was omnipotent and loving it would have been capable of stopping this terrorist outrage, so why didn't it? Some Christians will praise the deity if something good happens but not blame it when bad things happen, WHY?
I have a theory about this. I think God lets us run things ourselves, and this stuff happens when we become out of balance.

I have a nice illustration here, via webcomic. Christians have bad blood with Muslims, they feud. Someone starts something. Although there is a fair amount of aggression to Islam, much of it can be chalked up to groups like ISIS making agenda.

When people work together, things go smoothly. When they don't, holy **** no, you don't wanna be anywhere nearby. This is the same whether we are talking about Christians and Pagans, or any mix of religious groups. The more tension and bad blood is stirred up, the higher likelihood this stuff will go down. That said, I don't condone invasion or oppression. But it is a balance between "kill all the Muslims" and just wanting people to leave well enough alone.

Back to start.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:40 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
I believe we are all responsible for our own actions, good or bad, as I don't believe the deity exists!
If that's the case:

1) We're responsible for evil;

2) Why are you mad a a diety that doesn't exist?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Quote:
Don't forget: the god of the Christians is also the god of the Muslims (and the Jews), it is one and the same Middle-Eastern deity. Allah is merely the Arabic for "god". So yes, he was getting off.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:44 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If that's the case:

1) We're responsible for evil;

2) Why are you mad a a diety that doesn't exist?
Someone didn't fail Logic 101. Also, even assuming a Creator does exist... ummm, it's a Creator. Not a Controller. There is basically nothing in the job description to say that God will (or can) prevent free will from happening. And given that God is paid less than a Walmart worker for running the universe, "this isn't my department".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity