Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,318 times

Advertisements

I currently have the NIV version that I read daily. I actually find that I prefer this version over some of the others, despite the fact that I've seen many people make complaints about it. The one that I have actually has a tone of neat annotations at the bottom which reference various words as they relate to Hebrew Text, as well as many times includes the alternate interpretations of various passages. So anyway, what version is your fave? Which one's do you dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:10 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
I prefer the MKJV as it IMO renders the txt most accurately. Very close to the NKJV I also have in paper form but these days I use eSword with 38 different translations and the varoius bells and whistles it comes with. ALso on my laptop.

Here is a message which I think all can relate to called:

Reading the White

Snippet:

He was a chronic alcoholic who lived under a bridge and often found himself in trouble. He had no teeth. One of his relatives had them all pulled but never got around to getting him dentures. Although he was in his 50's, his mental abilities were that of a child.

I ended up spending several weeks trying to get him help with his alcoholic problem and other serious needs. The experience showed me how ineffective our social service programs for alcoholics are. At one point during these few weeks, I took him to a minister in hopes of having him delivered of unclean spirits. We commanded everything under the sun to come out of him, but he just stared at us, annoyed.

We began to quote various Scriptures to him. We hoped "the word of God," (King James Authorized Version, of course) would set him free. We tried binding and loosing " everything we could think of.

Getting a little irritated with our zealousness, pointing to the Bible in my hand, he said to me, "Did you ever read the @#^*?" As I mentioned already, he had no teeth and I often did not understand what he was saying. I told him I didn't understand so he repeated himself. I still didn't understand. He repeated, "Did you ever read the @#^*?!" He was angrily poking the open pages of my Bible with his index finger. Finally, I made out what he was saying. He said, "Did you ever read the white?!" Instantly, those words pierced me with the divine revelation behind his words. Light broke through. Could I read between the lines. The words on pages of a book are black marks on white pages. When we read, we only look at the black ink, but the ink is actually on a white page. Each black letter was surrounded by white. It was the large white page that carried the small black letters. Could I see beyond the black ink -- beyond -- "it is written!?" "THE LETTER KILLS, IT IS THE SPIRIT THAT GIVES LIFE!" (2 Cor. 3:6) Could I read by the Holy Spirit? Could I go beyond the literal word and REALLY get the meaning? That is what this drunk sage was trying to tell me. The words "I love you" for example can have many different meanings depending upon who said that at what time and to whom for what purpose. True meaning goes far beyond the actual spoken or written word. This article is about learning to go beyond the "It is written" Church mentality which has brought legalism, fundamentalism and many other isms which have prevented His people from moving into the Spirit of His Holy Word. There are many forces in this world arrayed against God's people to prevent them from entering into their inheritance. Bible translating and interpreting has been an area in which the devil has had a field day. In the coming years, this is going to change. Get ready for a mighty outpouring of revelation that will truly set His people free that they may go into the world and into creation itself to set it free from its bondage to corruption.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,189 times
I use an English Standard Version. I really enjoy it. My church usually uses the NIV, but I still like to hear the King James Version for the verses that I learned as a child. It gives me a nostalgic feeling.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
NIV for day to day living and reading...various translations when I want to see how other scholars translate certain "there is no word in English for this" phrases.

Greek when I'm feeling spunky.

I'm of Italian heritage, family in Italy etc and speak the Italian language and find myself using words in Italian during the day for expression when there is no word in English. Sometimes there is meaning that can't be explained in English. Nothing "revelational" IMHO just nuance really.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
KJV or Geneva all the way. Hate modern translations

Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
I have one of about all of them, my Father was a minister. I also have a cool one that is 4 versions of the New Testament all in one so you can compare them verse for verse. My Father used this one alot in writing sermons. I grew up reading the KJV however. For some reason it comes easily to me.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM

255 posts, read 608,618 times
Grew up with KJV. Switched to NIV when I left the denomination in which I grew up, although I still have a KJV and consult it sometimes.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
We have almost all of the translations and also have greek ..I mostly use my NIV

Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,558,418 times
Prefer NIV....

Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have one of about all of them, my Father was a minister. I also have a cool one that is 4 versions of the New Testament all in one so you can compare them verse for verse. My Father used this one alot in writing sermons. I grew up reading the KJV however. For some reason it comes easily to me.
Me too! I have bibles everywhere. My dad is a preacher also!! I typed his sermons for him until I got married and then mother had to start doing it cause after his writting gets cold you can't read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity